Sponsored by:

78 interior question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Brodalick
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 interior question

I am new to the corvette world and recently purchased a 1978 with little to no interior. Seats and there, but other than that the rest needs to be trashed. Door panels, carpet, headliner, etc. I know the cost to redo the interior all depends on how deep your pockets are, but is there a general rule of thumb to completely redo the interior? It is red now and I would like to stay with that color.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Brodalick
...is there a general rule of thumb to completely redo the interior?...
Rule of Thumb? No. My advice would be to check with the aftermarket providers who give a discount on the purchase of a complete interior package. Saves you money.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 08-22-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:51 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Rule of Thumb? No. My advice would be to check with the aftermarket providers who give a discount of the purchase of a complete interior package. Saves you money.

x2, x3
Old 08-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Brodalick
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Rule of Thumb? No. My advice would be to check with the aftermarket providers who give a discount of the purchase of a complete interior package. Saves you money.

Thanks. I saw where joes86vette redid his for around $2000. If I could do that I would be extremely happy.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Yep. browse the vendors.

If its #722 red (bright) your after I have a mint (used) glovebox door we can make a deal on...lol.

I had a whole #722 interior except for the carpet. Parted it all out over that last 2-3 years. Last thing left is the glove box door and I'm sick of looking at it.

dodosmike

edit:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-and-more.html

Last edited by Dodosmike; 08-22-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:07 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 541 Posts

I agree with the one vendor get the discount deal. I think you are in the ballpark for the seat covers door panels and carpet. Where the budget might get busted will be little things like ttop liners, dash pads, GLOVE BOX DOORS etc. Then you ight as weel get heat sound deadener for under the carpet. Draw up a budget and stick to it once you prooritize. Great to do it all at once, but there will be time and money later.The prices for these will add up pretty fast. Check the ebay craigslist and you might find a deal. Learn how to dye the hard pieces the color you want. Just know the prices of the new stuff from vendors, sometimes these online deals aren't really deals at all. Let's see some pix of your progress.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
I agree with the one vendor get the discount deal. I think you are in the ballpark for the seat covers door panels and carpet. Where the budget might get busted will be little things like ttop liners, dash pads, GLOVE BOX DOORS etc. Then you ight as weel get heat sound deadener for under the carpet. Draw up a budget and stick to it once you prooritize. Great to do it all at once, but there will be time and money later.The prices for these will add up pretty fast. Check the ebay craigslist and you might find a deal. Learn how to dye the hard pieces the color you want. Just know the prices of the new stuff from vendors, sometimes these online deals aren't really deals at all. Let's see some pix of your progress.
I'm having to redo my entire interior, it has cost me much more then 2K, door panels alone are 800.00. My Interior just fell apart as I was removing it. I need 4 more pieces and I will have all of it.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yes.

Rule #1 regarding interior refurb:

Repair and recolor any and all existing interior pieces if at all possible!!!

Minor cracks/tears/holes can be fixed by cutting away any loose, protruding vinyl edges and filling with a polyester body putty. When the putty begins to set up, use a toothpick to etch some matching grain into the surface so it will match the rest of the part.

Recolor using a good quality vinyl dye.....NOT PAINT!!! SEM liquid dye purchased and mixed at a local auto body paint supply store [not auto parts store] can be sprayed with your equipment or a $10 PreVal bottle sprayer with great results. As long as you clean the parts with detergent, rinse and dry thoroughly, you will get parts that look like new. And, being the original factory parts, they will actually FIT!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 78 interior question

Quick Reply: 78 interior question