C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Default I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Another 1968 Coupe Restoration story,
Where do I begin? It began with my purchase of the car seven years ago. I bought a running and driving 68 Coupe in need of repair. It had the wrong motor in it, the paint was horrible, the interior showing its age, but it had potential and I was hooked.
I made a few modifications and repairs to it righ off the bat, tune up, water pump, tighten a loose bolt or two here and there and then I decided it was time to change the paint. I have a buddy who is a retired Corvette bodyman by trade who offered to do the paint and bodywork. Mine needed plenty of the later. It was a several hit body, some repairs were good, and some were done by bubba. All of it needed to be correct for the car to look good. As I planned on putting in a new motor, I pulled the 396 motor out of it and shipped it off to the paint shop.
My buddy would work on it when he could, he was running a bodyshop at the time and my house was under remodel so I really did not nag him too much about how much time he was taking on it. I was visiting the car five months later and noticed some surface rust on the frame. I asked him the magic words "how much more to pull the body off the frame? He cut me deal and off it came. Just for a goof, he even put in some re-inforcements on the frame to make it a bit stiffer.
I picked up the frame and suspension parts and had them sandblasted and powdercoated. Got them back and sent them to the shop. Now all my suspension was redone and looking good. The body was put back on it and my buddy gets let go from the body shop. He got the car and took it home and began working on it there in his home shop. All it needed was stripping and repair at this time.
He took it down to bare glass and would call me for parts once in a while, but he finally got all the body lines perfect on the car and wanted me to pick out a color. The car was Lemans Blue out of the factory and I was going to keep it blue, just a different blue. I went with Jet Stream Metalic Sky blue after seeing it on an 08 Vette. We took the car to a buddies shop and laid the paint down in his boothe. Color came out better than I hoped, and I finally brought the car back to my garage.
I had a problem with the first replacement engine I got, and got it resolved and got another motor. It had to be rebuilt and I had a local builder I discovered and dropped the motor off a month ago for rebuild. While I was in his shop, I walked into a deal on a set of GM alumium heads for a smoking deal. Motor was rebuilt and broke in and dyno'ed at 482 hp, and 517 ftlbs or torque. Now were talking! I also discovered it is much easier to install a clutch, transmission and starter on an engine when it not in the car.
This Saturday, that engine and transmisson are going into my car. All I have left is some odds and ends engine bay wise, and a complete interior.
But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. This website has been a huge help. From parts reference's to installations of various stuff, you guys have been a huge help and I look forward to posting completed pictures of my car when it is all done. Here are some for the moment.
Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Couple more shots.
Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Even more and I hope I am not boring you guys with this.
Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Last two for now.
Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2014, 01:57 AM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I like that color of blue. What color is the interior going to be?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:44 AM
TurboStitchCW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Liked the story. When you said that he got let go from his job and took the car home....I really did not want this to turn into one of those "it sat at his house without anything getting done for years and years" stories. Happy he kept on chugging along to get the car looking good. Love that color! Can't wait to see some finished pics!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Originally Posted by havesometo
I like that color of blue. What color is the interior going to be?
Interior is going to be black with blue accents. I picked up a set of full power/lumbar ones out of a 97 Vette and modded the frames to fit. Much improved over the stock 68 seats! Have been wire wheeling out the old factory insulation. Run the drill till the battery dies, recharge both it and myself and move on. Next project is Lizzard Skin coat and then dyomat over that. Just nice to be at a point where stuff is starting to go back into the car. My neighbor has been giving me stereo tips on what wires to run prior to putting the carpet in. Oh the light is getting brighter!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:12 AM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Great to see the progress and car is looking terrific. We have very similar cars. The body repairs to the surround area and back end are almost exactly like mine. When I bought mine about 9 years ago it was sitting under cover and had been up on a trailer for several years. A frame off had been started by the PO, even though it had the original 327 I pulled that and dropped in a 454 I had already built even before I bought the Vette. My current status is: paint complete (Silverston Silver), Dynamat is installed, new wire harnesses installed, center console installed, in the process of installing the dash, then I will finish the carpet (it is laying in now) the door panels and seats. There will be a few other clean up items but like you say, the light at the end of the tunnel is now visible. You can see pics of my project in my profile page if intersted. BTW I love that color blue you picked. It really pops. Congrats on your progress.

Last edited by 68/BB; 08-08-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:09 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

It has been a long wait, but it will be worth it. That vette is going to be sweet.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:43 PM
frankturbo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

very cool , nice project looking good !
Old 08-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Looking great, just keep up the work!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

C3 vettes and the light at the end of the tunnel usually mean there's a train coming! I hope it's on the other track. Nice work!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:48 PM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great. What filler did you use?
Thanks,
Nelson007

Originally Posted by Lobzila
Couple more shots.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"I can see the light at the end of the tunnel". Be careful... that light could be a train wreck coming the other way. But your body work looks great.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Originally Posted by nelson007
Looks great. What filler did you use?
Thanks,
Nelson007
I have no idea, my buddy the bodyman did all the bodywork for me and I went up and helped him on ocasion. Fiberglass mating and lots of sanding and some special filler he told me about, but I cannot remember at this time. I will ask and get back to you.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Great to see another blue vette on its way back to life:-)
That light you see is the one that will show you all of the other things you "need" to do to this car!
Old 08-17-2014, 01:29 AM
Lobzila
Pro

As good as the engine and tranny looked on the ground, it looks even better in the car!
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 AM
stingr4y
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crank That Thing!

Love the color! Also would love to see how you do the interior. I like the idea of black with blue accents.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:45 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Your car is coming along great! That's a real nice combination you're putting together, a chrome bumper, blue, big block Corvette is certainly one of my favorites.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:11 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Very cool story and I'm happy the engine finally got done right. I'm sure it's going to be very, very fun to drive!

Quick Reply: I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!