Sponsored by:

Surprised at all the attention!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Surprised at all the attention!

I've had Blubie (renamed her already) for 3 weeks now, and I'm blown away at how much attention she draws each time I take her out. In my 1 hour drive yesterday I had a guy in his 20's asking me about her at a stop light. "Wow - that's a gorgeous car..... is she .... yours?", he asks completely surprised to see a woman behind the wheel of a 1969. Shaking my head yes with a big smile on my face, his left turn signal goes green, and he proceeds to drive a few feet into the intersection before stalling out his car trying to look in his rear window. Then I went through the Starbucks drive through on the way home. Guy at the window says, "mam, I think that's the most beautiful car I've ever seen", of course I couldn't already be smiling any more than I already am from my drive so I say "thank you very much". Stopped her at a grocery store last week, and parked way the heck in the middle of nowhere and ran in and out as fast as I could in fear of parking her in a public place. When I returned an older gentleman was hovering over her asking questions, and asking me if it was ok if he watched me "driver her away". Hmmm, no one has ever asked me that before...interesting.

Anyway, the experience of having my very first C3 is overwhelming in itself. I couldn't enjoy being behind the wheel any more than I am, and each moment is a treasure. All the attention just embellishes an already amazing experience.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Congrats! Great car!

Is your avatar a family member also?

Got a video of her driving away?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 868 Likes on 372 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

I'd call her "BLUERAY".
Old 08-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Hpozzuoli
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have come out of the bank to a crowd of people around my car. I have been pulled over just so the cop could look at the car. I had someone follow me home (kinda made me mad at first, but the person is also a C3 owner), and the best was a news crew showed up to do a story about the weather. They parked their van in my laundromat parking lot and the reporter stood in front of my car and did her segment.

These chrome bumper cars gets lots of attention. Enjoy the attention and the car!

My car is not a show car. I am shocked at how much interest it draws. Mine is a 71. Now if I could only get other corvette owners to wave back at me when driving by I would be happy.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:16 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

That seems to be a problem any more especially with the newer cars and their owners. Those of us with a lot of pride (meaning sweat equity and $$$$) in our cars seem to appreciate the efforts of others more than most owners. I find that most C3 owners are friendly and I try to wave every time.

BTW: you have a very nice 'Vette!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the C3 experience. Isn't it fun?

I hope that you continue to enjoy miles and miles of smiles. That is one sharp looking '69 car and a favorite, for many of us, even if we own different year models.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:41 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I woulda stopped to very nice car.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

I'm starting to see more C3's in my area, they really do stand out in contrast to the newer cars, especially a beautiful blue coupe.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Get used to the attention, you have a beautiful car. I was at a car cruise last weekend with several late model Corvettes, lots of C5s, C6s and a couple of C7s. A guy came up to me and said "in my opinion you have the only Corvette here!" Enjoy that C3!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:23 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I was stopped at a stop light and a car pulled up next to me. A guy in the passenger side of the car to my left (turn lane) leaned out the window and said "I want to be you when I grow up". I laughed and said thanks, man.
Then a couple of days ago I was slowing down to get onto the interstate and cars were going by on the left. I noticed a black car slowed down and was right beside me. I looked over and there was a young Asian guy leaning over giving me a thumbs up and he yelled "nice car, man!" I smiled and returned the thumbs up and he pulled away. Then I saw the tail lights of his car. It was a Nissan GTR. Holy crap a guy in a GTR slowed down to look at MY old car?
Made my day as both of them were pretty young and still were drawn to the timeless curves of a c3.
Btw, they were right, your car is a beauty.
Enjoy the experience.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:34 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

That's a beautiful Stingray you have....

It should get attention...they look good from ANY angle....I ve always said the C3 is the most stunning corvette.....so many were made for such a long period ....they became common place in our world and for a while overlooked with such a huge amount on the road....I think the younger auto admirers will rediscover them in the future..

I get thumbs up and cool car comments from teens regularly as I drive my convertible top down. They love the outrageous design.....non conformist to most of today's aero boring shapes.

This makes me feel good for the C3 series ....and it survival ....youth seem to love the looks too.....

Just like I did as a teen dreaming staring at that new 74 in the Chevy showroom back in the day :

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 08-04-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

The C3 is the nicest looking of any generation Vette. Always been my favorite.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad to hear that you are loving the C3. I get a lot of attention with my orange '72. EVERYONE wants a ride, and IF I can…I will grant them ONE ride. I give them their ride, and I leave them speechless. I get a lot of flak from my buddies that I shouldn't give people rides in it, but the way I see it is, IF I don't introduce them to Corvettes and C3s in general…then they may never know what they ARE missing. I know of a few people who I gave rides to and they HAD to a Vette. Some couldn't afford a C3 so they bought C4s..but I still am proud that I got them into a Vette.

Drive your '69 as much as you can! If I saw your car, even as a chrome bumper C3 owner…I too would stop and stare!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After my engine was rebuilt I took my '72 on a short neighborhood shakedown drive and had not yet re-installed my hood. I was stopped at a red light in the lefthand turn only lane and a guy in a large raised pickup truck pulled up and stopped in the through-lane immediately to my right. I looked up (way up!) at him and saw that he was scoping out my car. Since my T-tops were off he started asking the usual questions (year, what size engine, ...) and then just grinned and said something along the lines of "great car, man". A few seconds go by and I looked back up at him and noticed that he was now leaning out of his window with a digital camera in his hands and was snapping pictures of my car! Just then the light turned green for us, so I let out the clutch and started my left turn and noticed that he was still sitting there, fully stopped at the now green light with cars behind him, continuing to take pictures of my car as I drove off!

I've also walked out of a club more than once (they parked my '72 in a "special" spot) and found people surrounding the car pointing at various things, "oohing" and "aahing" at it; sometimes standing next to it and having someone take their picture with it!

People love these cars, and IMHO the C3 has the most beautiful and graceful, but at the same time badass, lines of any of the generations of the Corvette (and I love C2s too). They just don't make 'em like that any more - but they should!

Last edited by VCuomo; 08-05-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Along similar lines..... Back in the 70's I'd always hear my dad say "There is no such thing as an ugly girl driving a Corvette".

Old 08-05-2014, 06:26 PM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice car! I believe all C3 vettes are timeless....
Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do love my red '72 and the attention it gets. Every ride brings comments, stares and well wishes!!!!
And yes, many of the younger generation do appreciate these older Vettes.
AND THE LADIES STILL LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Surprised at all the attention!

Old 08-06-2014, 09:06 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JimT
AND THE LADIES STILL LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAHA - I think they're a great excuse for members of the opposite sex to initiate enthusiastic conversation. I've had one woman comment, versus about 15 guys - in my long 3 weeks of ownership.

Bottom line, I think they are the sexiest cars still on the road today, and I'm so happy to have one. I'd be quite happy driving along and never talking to anyone, but I do feel that there is an implicit responsibility in owning and driving one to try to draw enthusiasm for both classic and newer vettes, which is why I never leave the driveway, even with the C6 daily drive,r without the car being immaculate.

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
Along similar lines..... Back in the 70's I'd always hear my dad say "There is no such thing as an ugly girl driving a Corvette".

HAHA - I'm not sure that works in reverse!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

it's because you're a girl
Old 08-06-2014, 11:24 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
HAHA - I think they're a great excuse for members of the opposite sex to initiate enthusiastic conversation. I've had one woman comment, versus about 15 guys - in my long 3 weeks of ownership.

Bottom line, I think they are the sexiest cars still on the road today, and I'm so happy to have one. I'd be quite happy driving along and never talking to anyone, but I do feel that there is an implicit responsibility in owning and driving one to try to draw enthusiasm for both classic and newer vettes, which is why I never leave the driveway, even with the C6 daily drive,r without the car being immaculate.

I make sure my vette is spotless when I am driving it and am glad to know I'm not the only one

Quick Reply: Surprised at all the attention!