The 1976 Has a Unique Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:56 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by calvin3103
I have a 1976 and was wondering if I can use any other hood with or with out? modifications
I had a '76 hood that would not work on my '75. I think the latches were different
Old 07-16-2017, 10:47 AM
tjmaniez
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet76te
The 76 does have a unique hood. The 76 still has the hood vent at the back edge in front of the windshield like the 73 thru 75 models. However, it is non-functional. The 73 thru 75 vent was part of the cowl induction system that carried air to the carb. The 76 retained the vent but all the cowl induction portion on the bottom of the hood was redesigned and no longer present. The 76 had a new forced air system that delivered from the front edge of the hood just above the radiator.

The 77 model deleted the vent in front of the windshield.

So, an original 76 hood is unique, but it is interchangeable with all 73 thru 79 models.
So as an owner of a 76 with the original hood; with the non functional vent would it be a tough project to take parts from a 75 to make the cowl functional or is that not feasible with the forced air system?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:35 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jobber26
All this talk about hoods, anybody know how to adjust the 1976 hood so it is flush at the windshield edge to the fenders? Mine is about 1/2" high and to adjust it to it's correct height, the hood will not latch... Don't say lower the rubber bumpers in front of the hood pins, I took them off. I even cut the hood pins and springs to lower and that didn't work (bought new ones). If I knew how, I would remove the female latches on the hood and recess the whole fiberglass base/mount area to lower everything, but don't have the skills... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, and I hope no one else has a hood that looks unlatched all the time...
Use the rubber bumpers/stabilizers/blocks from any Corvette parts store - Ecklers/Zip/MA, etc, all four, where the hood is low on the fenders. Look along the apron - hood surround... any where there is a low spot put a piece of tape where it begins and ends, then when you have marked four spots where the low spot begins and ends, open the hood and put the bumpers where the four pieces of tape are... when you close the hood, the back windshield edge should be correct since you will be tilting the hood toward level and making it fit correct from front to back... you may have to move the blocks around, but eventually the hood will fit perfect all the way around, but you have to use all 4 blocks; 2 on either side of the rain channels...

Quick Reply: The 1976 Has a Unique Hood