Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator humming with Ignition off

Old 07-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Summitdog
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator humming with Ignition off

I'm having issues with my alternator humming with Ignition off. I replaced alternator, tried connecting battery to starter solenoid, adjusted ignition switch on steering column, and I pulled every fuse to see if I can make hum stop.

My alternator is a one wire and is connected from Horn relay.

Does anyone know what this could be and do you have any other suggestions on what to test?

1971 454 Stingray.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Try this.........

Note: Small gauge wire from alternator connector goes to an in-line "gauge light" that you can add to the small wire to excite the alternator.....the other wire from the gauge light goes to a terminal on the fuse box or ignition key switch that will supply 12 volts to the small wire ONLY when the key is turned to the ON position. The added-on light will glow dimly when the key is turned on.....then it should not glow at all when the engine is started and revved and the alternator starts charging.

You should use a heavy gauge wire from the alternator to the starter solenoid where the positive battery cable is attached to allow for good charging without overheating the alternator or the main large wire.

(I think I said all of that correctly)

Last edited by doorgunner; 07-31-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator humming with Ignition off