C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Upgrade on a Big Block C3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Power Steering Upgrade on a Big Block C3?

Hello,

Has anyone upgraded to a newer style power steering pump and bracket hardware on there Big Block C3? I have my engine out of the car and would like to install a new pump that has a smaller footprint and a remote reservoir. My current factory style Saginaw Pump is a real pain to get too since it sits under the alternator, and I get leaks from time to time. I'm even considering just going to a manual rack. Has anyone done this power steering mod?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 07-30-2014, 02:42 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

There are a couple of aftermarket companies that offer P/S pumps. The brand I'm using is KRC. Available with remote resivior and adjustable pressure relief. They also offer an engine mounting bracket. It mounts to the two vertical 3/8 holes just outside the timing cover. In Butler, Wi there is a speed shop that caters to the circle track racers and he keeps all this stuff on the shelf, cool. Stay away from brands that have plastic resiviors as they have been known to separate at the seams. Check them out you'll be impressed. T
Old 07-30-2014, 11:03 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
There are a couple of aftermarket companies that offer P/S pumps. The brand I'm using is KRC. Available with remote resivior and adjustable pressure relief. They also offer an engine mounting bracket. It mounts to the two vertical 3/8 holes just outside the timing cover. In Butler, Wi there is a speed shop that caters to the circle track racers and he keeps all this stuff on the shelf, cool. Stay away from brands that have plastic resiviors as they have been known to separate at the seams. Check them out you'll be impressed. T
Cool, Thanks for your reply. I will check out the KRC System. Got any pics of your installed?
Old 07-31-2014, 03:16 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Hi Joe, went through my archives, and found picts of the P/S pump that had the plastic resivior. That was so kind to me that it blew on the third lap of a 2 day track event. End of day. Relpaced the resivior, it lasted 7 laps, another end of day, loaded the car up. KRC system has been in place for 2 years now. I'll have to get some batteries for the old camera and see if I can post. I'm also running Steeroids R&P, which is in my opion a little to radical for the street. For my 69, a daily driver I'm running the Borgeson steer gear and it's great. T
Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
Hi Joe, went through my archives, and found picts of the P/S pump that had the plastic resivior. That was so kind to me that it blew on the third lap of a 2 day track event. End of day. Relpaced the resivior, it lasted 7 laps, another end of day, loaded the car up. KRC system has been in place for 2 years now. I'll have to get some batteries for the old camera and see if I can post. I'm also running Steeroids R&P, which is in my opion a little to radical for the street. For my 69, a daily driver I'm running the Borgeson steer gear and it's great. T
Hi Terry,

Check out Jonesracingproducts.com They have a fully welded power steering tank mounted on there pump. Jim provided me the website and I spoke with them today. They carry some very cool racing products.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Upgrade on a Big Block C3?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Upgrade on a Big Block C3?