Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the speedo cable, housing and all

Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Replacing the speedo cable, housing and all

is replacing the speedo cable to include the housing (don't ask why I need to replace housing too ), is this a big pain in the azz? not looking forward to this but I like to see my speed. Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Not hard at all. It's a little bothersome getting the cable through the firewall just because of the location, bit otherwise not the worst thing I've ever done by far.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Thanks CJ
Old 07-28-2014, 02:25 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry, but I have to ask why the housing? I keep looking for someone who makes dumber mistakes than I do. I havent found them yet but I keep looking.

:-)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:30 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68/BB
Sorry, but I have to ask why the housing? I keep looking for someone who makes dumber mistakes than I do. I havent found them yet but I keep looking.

:-)
Oh see, now you just had to go and ask to prove what a dumb *** I am

I just did a cam and head swap, along with complete exhaust, well saturday was the day to break in the cam, come hell or high water, I didn't have the exhaust adjusted in it's proper place so while I broke in the cam I also fried the speedo cable housing so now I don't have a speedo
Old 07-28-2014, 06:45 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Oh see, now you just had to go and ask to prove what a dumb *** I am

I just did a cam and head swap, along with complete exhaust, well saturday was the day to break in the cam, come hell or high water, I didn't have the exhaust adjusted in it's proper place so while I broke in the cam I also fried the speedo cable housing so now I don't have a speedo
Ohh, well that sounds like the same way I fried a starter harness on an El Camino several years ago. I've done much dumber than that, believe me. The only people who never do anything wrong are the people who never do anything.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68/BB
Ohh, well that sounds like the same way I fried a starter harness on an El Camino several years ago. I've done much dumber than that, believe me. The only people who never do anything wrong are the people who never do anything.
LOL, hey thanks for the vote of no stupidity I did get the cam broke in which is what I was sweating, this is the third time I've done a flat tappet cam (never done a roller cam), and each one has made me nervous as hell...
Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Sharkwagon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it makes you feel any better I broke my speedo cable housing and inner cable doing something far more trivial than that by far. It seems that a previous owner used a parts store cable that was about a foot too long and always in the way so I re-routed it so it would be cleaner looking.

Apparently it was at too much of an angle and after a week or so the outer cable cracked and the inner cable broke...
Old 07-29-2014, 09:04 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sharkwagon
If it makes you feel any better I broke my speedo cable housing and inner cable doing something far more trivial than that by far. It seems that a previous owner used a parts store cable that was about a foot too long and always in the way so I re-routed it so it would be cleaner looking.

Apparently it was at too much of an angle and after a week or so the outer cable cracked and the inner cable broke...
yeah but I'll bet it looked better for about a week

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing the speedo cable, housing and all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing the speedo cable, housing and all