Sponsored by:

75 Firewall Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:22 PM
bwinterstine
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 75 Firewall Repair Question

I'm repairing some significant damage to my firewall (see separate thread: Small Garage Restoration). Here's my question: Are there three layers of material around the brake and steering section of the firewall? Inner steel support bracket that is riveted to fiberglass, middle layer of fiberglass is part of the main firewall body. Outer layer of fiberglass that is part of a separate section of the firewall that is bonded to the middle/primary firewall.

My firewall is damaged and missing large chunks of glass where I have red circles on this diagram. Color codes: Pink=Outer fiberglass, Blue=Main Fiberglass/firewall, Green=Metal Bracket.

Does anyone have pictures of this area with the outer fiberglass piece removed?

Here's a picture of the "middle/main" fiberglass and metal bracket on the inside. I've removed the metal piece for clean up and painting but don't have a picture of it yet.

Last edited by bwinterstine; 07-27-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Wrong Picture
Old 07-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi b,
3 layers of fiberglass.
The detail VIEW A has the clues!
Look the adhesive 'flag 188'.
Just above the pointer line and your circle is a little 'section diagram' that draftsmen use. IT shows 3 layers of material at that point… all fiberglass.
So, at that point there's the Inner Layer (blue); the Reinforcement layer Item 4, (green), (it's not as quite as extensive as you colored it, you can see the actual top of it in your picture); and then Cover, Item 6, (pink).
Is this BIG FUN, or what????!!!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 PM
bwinterstine
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi b,
3 layers of fiberglass.
The detail VIEW A has the clues!
Look the adhesive 'flag 188'.
Just above the pointer line and your circle is a little 'section diagram' that draftsmen use. IT shows 3 layers of material at that point… all fiberglass.
So, at that point there's the Inner Layer (blue); the Reinforcement layer Item 4, (green), (it's not as quite as extensive as you colored it, you can see the actual top of it in your picture); and then Cover, Item 6, (pink).
Is this BIG FUN, or what????!!!!
Regards,
Alan
Hi Alan,

I see the layers you are referring to. But, wouldn't one of those layers be the rusty metal reinforcement bracket that is shown in my photo? This bracket is the inner most item on my car (as it is). I count 3 total layers in that diagram and I have to assume they are including the metal bracket with two layers of fiberglass in front of it.

We both agree there are 3 layers of something (I think). Fun? The good news is that there isn't much left of this car that I haven't dismantled. I'm hoping that the firewall is my last big surprise.

Get notified of new replies

To 75 Firewall Repair Question

Quick Reply: 75 Firewall Repair Question