Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Drop Spindle Poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Drop Spindle Poll

In a few weeks we are going to start looking into making drop spindles for C3’s . Our idea is make the drop spindle to utilize factory brakes and rotors. There will obviously be a need for big brake guys but that's a simple caliper mounting bracket change. So the poll here is to see which type of drop spindle you think would be best. We debate this here so we are looking to you to see what direction would be best. Keeping in mind that we are trying to utilize factory calipers and rotors, the drop is going to be about 1". We don’t have an exact date or time frame as to when we will go into production once the final decision is made, but you’ll probably hear about it first! These will be American made castings just like our bearing supports.

Guys w/C2’s will have to upgrade the hub either way b/c we are only going to make 1 casting and if we went the OE style route, the bigger bearing is the better option.

With that said, which of the following would you prefer?

Drop Spindles that use an OE hub

Drop Spindles that use a C5/6 bolt on hub, that you could eventually in the future adapt to ABS (which is coming)
Old 07-23-2014, 03:51 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I'd be in for a 2" dropped spindle!!

How about also dropped rear shock mounts for those of us with lowered cars to gain back some shock travel?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Sounds like a nice idea rather then cutting coils off of 550lb springs and raising the spring rate.

Price would have to be right compared to say VB&P front mono spring which allows front height adjustability.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

Aren't the originals forged?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

For your poll, you should include an option for both. I see people wanting both. Obviously some people might not want to change their brakes out (factory C3) to active the drop, especially if they just bought new ones. I also see other wanting to improve the braking and still acquire a drop. I would personally look into doing both.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I voted for an OE hub.
A couple of questions......
Will the front track width be effected and is this just for lowering or will the front suspension geometry be improved?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

How about also dropped rear shock mounts for those of us with lowered cars to gain back some shock travel?
How about a rear X-member that raises the diff instead?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Sounds like a nice idea rather then cutting coils off of 550lb springs and raising the spring rate.

Price would have to be right compared to say VB&P front mono spring which allows front height adjustability.
You would still be in the same predicament if you run a VBP front spring or cut your stock springs. Suspension travel is lost and the lower a-arm bump stops are close to the frame. No one makes a shorter non-adjustable shock, that I know of, for lowered vettes. Shock bodies are all about the same. Built to OE spec.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by Brandons72vette
For your poll, you should include an option for both. I see people wanting both. Obviously some people might not want to change their brakes out (factory C3) to active the drop, especially if they just bought new ones. I also see other wanting to improve the braking and still acquire a drop. I would personally look into doing both.
This is part of the reason why we think we'll only be able to get a 1" drop. We want the spindle to work with both factory brakes and aftermarket big brake kits. We have a good relationship w/Wilwood so the brackets for the big brake kit would be for their calipers.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I voted for an OE hub.
A couple of questions......
Will the front track width be effected and is this just for lowering or will the front suspension geometry be improved?
Track width will not be effected. I don't think we would sell many if you had to by new wheels in order to run.

New steering arms will be made. Scrum raduis & bump steer will be addressed. Roll center will be raised as well.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by Ol Blue
Aren't the originals forged?
Yes sir. These will be forged.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:04 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Van Steel
YES!!!!! With the option to mount it solidly!!!!

Old 07-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes to OE-style forged drop spindles. Double yes if the look just like the originals, only changed spindle height.

A factory-ish-looking raised differential cross member (with raised front diff mount to compensate) would be an excellent piece that I would buy no questions asked.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I voted yes w/OE hubs strictly on behalf of those looking to slam ride heights for cosmetic reasons, as drops would lessen the adverse geometry had when things are taken too far.

That said, from a performance perspective I'll withhold passing judgement based on an unknown proposed geometry vs that resultant from simply following Chevy Power recommendations.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

will the drop spindles work with your front susp, set up.upper and lower a arms with the jri or the qa1,s.coilovers.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Van Steel

Yes. Using OE rubber or Delrin bushings.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by 509 rat
will the drop spindles work with your front susp, set up.upper and lower a arms with the jri or the qa1,s.coilovers.
Yes. We like to keep everything Corvette per say on what we make so if there is ever an issue you could most likely pick it up at a local auto part store. Nothing will really have to be a "special order". If you have a ball joint failure 5 yrs from now. Just go to NAPA or whatever is by a Corvette ball joint.

Get notified of new replies

To Drop Spindle Poll

Old 07-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
I voted yes w/OE hubs strictly on behalf of those looking to slam ride heights for cosmetic reasons, as drops would lessen the adverse geometry had when things are taken too far.

That said, from a performance perspective I'll withhold passing judgement based on an unknown proposed geometry vs that resultant from simply following Chevy Power recommendations.

Thanks for the vote. We appreciate it!!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

In a few weeks we are going to start looking into making drop spindles for C3’s . Our idea is make the drop spindle to utilize factory brakes and rotors. There will obviously be a need for big brake guys but that's a simple caliper mounting bracket change. So the poll here is to see which type of drop spindle you think would be best. We debate this here so we are looking to you to see what direction would be best. Keeping in mind that we are trying to utilize factory calipers and rotors, the drop is going to be about 1". We don’t have an exact date or time frame as to when we will go into production once the final decision is made, but you’ll probably hear about it first! These will be American made castings just like our bearing supports.

Guys w/C2’s will have to upgrade the hub either way b/c we are only going to make 1 casting and if we went the OE style route, the bigger bearing is the better option.

With that said, which of the following would you prefer?

Drop Spindles that use an OE hub

Drop Spindles that use a C5/6 bolt on hub, that you could eventually in the future adapt to ABS (which is coming)
As I already have the 14" wilwood kit upfront, I voted for O/E
Some nice billet steering arms would be nice
Old 07-25-2014, 04:28 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. Using OE rubber or Delrin bushings.
I've though about this some more, I still would like some dropped rear shock mounts because raising the diff will correct the suspension geometry but won't increase shock travel on a lowered car.

Quick Reply: Drop Spindle Poll