Sponsored by:

Selecting a 1969 Side Pipe Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Selecting a 1969 Side Pipe Exhaust

Only side pipe exhaust I'm familiar with is Hooker, which I love, but is pretty pricey.

I see aluminized versus stainless steel. I see fiberglass covered. I see the original factory offered look versus the hooker header to side pipe look.

If you were going to add a side pipe exhaust system to a 1969, which system would you select, and why? Pricing estimate? I'd like to find something that will last over time and not rust badly (with care), have a nice deep muscle sound, and look good.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,611 Posts

hard for someone else to tell you which system looks better. Have you looked at the OBX systems?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
Only side pipe exhaust I'm familiar with is Hooker, which I love, but is pretty pricey.

I see aluminized versus stainless steel. I see fiberglass covered. I see the original factory offered look versus the hooker header to side pipe look.

If you were going to add a side pipe exhaust system to a 1969, which system would you select, and why? Pricing estimate? I'd like to find something that will last over time and not rust badly (with care), have a nice deep muscle sound, and look good.
I bought the Hookers 535.00 for the headers and 253.00 for the extensions with free shipping.. This was for the painted version as I had to modify them for my ls conversion.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,787 Posts

I went with the completely original design, from Paragon and Allen's Exhaust. The pipes were supposedly the "quiet" ones... I'd hate to hear what the loud ones sound like.

I actually got used to the noise and now I like it, although the sound is much nicer at higher RPM.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Not sure what size engine you have, but bear in mind that the "factory" style sidepipe exhaust is, in essence, a factory exhaust that happens to exit out of the side of the car. This means that most of the restrictions that occur with the rear exhaust (the cast exhaust manifold and smaller pipe diameter) are present and accounted for in the '69 style exhaust.

A Hooker or OBX style exhaust, however, has 4 individual pipes that exit the side of the car individually and collect into a single 4" pipe...that's the thing that travels along the side of the car. From a performance perspective, this has a real impact, especially if you're playing in the upper RPM's of a big block engine.

Not saying anything bad about the "factory" style system...I'm sure they go down the road just fine. Just pointing out a fairly significant difference between the two.

Beyond that, the size/style of insert you put in the Hooker/OBX system will further alter both the sound and performance of the car. Regular Hooker reverse-flows being the most restrictive and an STS baffle with the center cap removed being the least restrictive.

So the decision is what you want. Look vs. performance is a big one. Shiny vs. black is another big one. I'd either do painted or full-on stainless...I wouldn't fiddle with a plated system as this will only be a headache later down the line.

I got a 'scratch and dent' deal on my headers for $300 (black painted). My side tubes were $300, and my STS inserts were $300. And, of course, I needed the SteelShield for $400. So all-in for a painted system, I'm about $1,400. And I love it.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:21 PM
East Coast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, Paragon here also... Quiet, which in my opinion are just right sound wise!

Cheers
Mike
Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

It's a '69...put '69 pipes on.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Postal123
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to recommend one vs the other, but I'll share my opinion...

On a '69 that's a nice performance cruiser, I think the factory sidepipes are perfect. They look great with just about all wheel/tire combo and paint colors.

If the car is more of a modified, updated or performance style (street machine) I think the hookers/OBXs are hard to beat...that's what all the race prepped cars of the day used. I also think the look of polished TTII wheels augments the shiny primaries perfectly. Even more so on a bumper car...it's the perfect amount of shiny bits that compliment each other.

I also think the curved/rounded shapes of the aftermarket style exhaust suits the '68/'69 best. On a '70-'72 with their more angular trim, I think the factory covers are the best match...for looks...

There is also a '68 or '69 on the forum with C2 styled factory exhaust that looks great...if you really want to have people scratching their head...
Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for the input so far, very appreciated. Duh - forgot to put that it's a 350ci 350hp L46.

Included picture.

Would like to complement the chrome wheels. Like the stainless. The Paragon's are beautiful. Not looking for quiet, and wouldn't mind any enhancement to performance.
Attached Images  

Last edited by harmonyp; 07-23-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:01 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

one of the few vehicles every built with side pipes from the factory !

but if you do not mind louder, and want performance gain, you do not want OEM.
I used OEM covers and SweetThunder pipes.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm using ACI covers with custom pipes I welded up myself

Old 07-24-2014, 04:46 PM
FF273
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
I went with the completely original design, from Paragon and Allen's Exhaust. The pipes were supposedly the "quiet" ones... I'd hate to hear what the loud ones sound like.

I actually got used to the noise and now I like it, although the sound is much nicer at higher RPM.
That's exactly what I am looking for with my 69

Get notified of new replies

To Selecting a 1969 Side Pipe Exhaust

Quick Reply: Selecting a 1969 Side Pipe Exhaust