Sponsored by:

My Vinly Wrapped 81 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Feltman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Vinly Wrapped 81 Corvette

Today is the roll out of my transformed 1981 corvette! I have been on the forum for a few years and most of my restoration pictures are gone. I did a body installed restore. Blueprinted orginal engine, installed 3.55 rear gears and a 700R4 OD for gas mileage.

The wrap was done by my son (B-Wrapped) and the vinly was all Avery. Gunmetal Metallic Matte as main color, with Carbon Fiber stripe accented by two high vis lime green refective racing stripes. They actually glow at night (see one of the side stripes in the pictures below to get an idea....and here she is

Old 07-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That's really cool! I've been considering wrapping my vette until such time that I can perform a frame off resto at which time I'll have the car painted.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 PM
skeptic
Racer

Gotta be honest here, I like everything other than the lime green stripes. Ignoring for a minute that one of them looks like it's coming loose in the back, it really looks like you taped off the area to paint the black stripes and just haven't removed the masking tape yet. I really like the rest of it though.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

That looks pretty nice. Did he go with a stripe due to the width of the wrap? How long did it take him to wrap it?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

looks great except for the green stripe. Looks like someone painted the stripe on and didn't remove the tape
Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 PM
John A F
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it shinny? Hard to tell from the pictures. Looks like a matt finish. Green stripe is not my cup of tea, but if you like them, then rock on.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Your son has skills, and yes it probably took a long time to do.

Had my front portion of the rear ZL1 fares warped and it took about 1 1/2 hours
Old 07-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Feltman
Cruising

Originally Posted by skeptic
Gotta be honest here, I like everything other than the lime green stripes. Ignoring for a minute that one of them looks like it's coming loose in the back, it really looks like you taped off the area to paint the black stripes and just haven't removed the masking tape yet. I really like the rest of it though.
There is no paint on the car..everything is vinly...here is better pciture of the back end

Old 07-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Feltman
Cruising

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
That looks pretty nice. Did he go with a stripe due to the width of the wrap? How long did it take him to wrap it?
The width was just what we thought looked good. It was cut from a 12" high visble reflective Candy Apple Green" utilizing a plotter. The carbon fiber was cut at 15" to match the contour of the hood.....thanks for asking....also it took about 3 days to do
Old 07-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

I like it

Wouldn't a 'vette look good with a subtle carbon-fiber look wrap all over.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:06 PM
skeptic
Racer

Originally Posted by Feltman
There is no paint on the car..everything is vinly...here is better pciture of the back end

I didn't mean that I thought it was painted, just the stripes look like you masked an area off for painting. It does look better from behind. If you compare the middle pic above with this one, you can see where the earlier pic makes it look like the strip is hanging loose on one side.

I think if the strip and highlights were a bright silver or even white it would look better. It looks like he did a good job, I just don't like the lime-green color.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Your son has serious skills, I've seen those wraps put on our work vans, and that process took a while........can't begin to fathom where you'd even start to wrap a C3. Great job, and if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Feltman
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mod75
Your son has skills, and yes it probably took a long time to do.

Had my front portion of the rear ZL1 fares warped and it took about 1 1/2 hours
Took him about 3 days to do...inside and out....my interior trim pieces are all wrapped in carbon fiber

Old 07-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Nice work on the interior pieces, that CF looks good.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Feltman
Cruising

I didn't mean that I thought it was painted, just the stripes look like you masked an area off for painting. It does look better from behind. If you compare the middle pic above with this one, you can see where the earlier pic makes it look like the strip is hanging loose on one side.

I think if the strip and highlights were a bright silver or even white it would look better. It looks like he did a good job, I just don't like the lime-green color.
Wow....did not consider silver or white, that would of looked good......what's nice about wrapping is I can change the color of stripes without changing the rest of the car 😎. No problem on the negative "green" reaction.....I always look for honest feedback 👍......thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to give credit where credit is due, I've been doing signs and graphics for over 25 years, started with all hand lettering and airbrushing, one thing I personally have never done even with my years of experience is wrap a car. So kudos to your son. The color choices aren't my favorite either but, that's what makes it personal. I plan on learning to wrap in the near future. That looks like a great way to change colors on a car. nice Job!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 PM
skeptic
Racer

I think that came off a bit more harsh than intended. A work call came in while I was posting and I rushed to finish the post. What I wanted to say is I don't think lime green accents look right with gray. Just black and green would look good, or perhaps a different accent/stripe color. Silver, white, red, maybe even yellow.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Feltman
Cruising

I think that came off a bit more harsh than intended. A work call came in while I was posting and I rushed to finish the post. What I wanted to say is I don't think lime green accents look right with gray. Just black and green would look good, or perhaps a different accent/stripe color. Silver, white, red, maybe even yellow.
No worries....did not take it that way
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There are some serious skills on display in this thread!

Get notified of new replies

To My Vinly Wrapped 81 Corvette

Quick Reply: My Vinly Wrapped 81 Corvette