Sponsored by:

Roger's 78 basket case

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 AM
TileArt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roger's 78 basket case

I finally parked a hole in the garage into which I can throw money in the form of a 78 Corvette. Right now it's a basket case, but I plan to solve that with a lot of hard work and a similar amount of money.

Engine is blown (owner before last threw a piston into the oil pan - how the hell do you even do that???), but I wanted to replace it anyway. Interior is essentially gone, although all gauges are present and seem to be in fairly good condition. No idea about working order, but I'm replacing everything on the interior anyway, so moot point...

And it looks like someone painted it with a brick.

Good news is that the birdcage and frame are in surprisingly good condition with only surface rust, and the body is straight with no discernible bubba body work on it, although the paint is not yet stripped.

Seriously - it's a basket case. But I'm going to bring her back from the dead. I'm sure I'll have a LOT of (probably stupid) questions. Yes, the AIM is on the way.

After staring at it for about a week trying to figure out where the hell to start, while saving money for an engine (and probably transmission), I've decided to start by removing the doors and rebuilding them. Driver's door had the only apparent fiberglass damage at the front end where the door was misaligned and pivoted against the fender - so it came off first. May as well start somewhere...

My first question: I'm planning on ridding the car of the factory alarm system. The harness in the door for the power window and (I assume) the alarm is together. Can I just remove the alarm wiring from that without shorting or otherwise damaging the window wiring attached to it? Or would I be better off just getting a new harness for just the window motor?

Sorry for the long post, please be patient with what will surely be a bunch of ignorant questions. I learn quickly but have a really bad habit of over-analyzing absolutely everything. Also if I've put this in the wrong section please let me know.

Here's some 'before' pictures, she really is a basket case.
Attached Images      
Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 AM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Looks like quite a project. Since you were replacing the motor anyway, and the structure of the car appears to be sound, looks like you are in good shape. I assume you didn't pay much of the car since it was not running so you are starting out good on that end.
I am glad you realize now that it will be a money pit. Some people have unrealistic expectations of what it takes to bring a car like this back. One thing that might surprise you is how much the interior will cost to replace. I did not see photos of it, but I assume you are going to need a lot of parts there. If that is this case, I would start now by watching the for sale section of this forum and pick up what you can as you go along.
Glad to see you are saving this one. It will be a lot of work, but in the end you will have something to be very proud of.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My advice is to leave the doors on the car. Based on your pics, the gaps do not look all that bad. Removing doors is easy. Rehanging them and getting them correctly aligned is the hard part.

Why not keep the factory alarm and get it operational?

Good luck.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 AM
TileArt
Instructor

I did not pay a lot for it, got it for (almost) a song.
Originally Posted by Brent
I did not see photos of it, but I assume you are going to need a lot of parts there.
Yes!

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
My advice is to leave the doors on the car. Based on your pics, the gaps do not look all that bad.
It doesn't show in those photos but the driver's door stuck out almost 1/2" from the body panels on either side. The entire interiors of the doors need to be stripped, cleaned, rebuilt and I'm adding power locks. Also need to do some fiberglass work on the front of that door, as well as the fender in front of it.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Why not keep the factory alarm and get it operational?
A lot of the components are shot/missing. No reason to replace things I'll never use and have another thing to fix when it randomly decides it wants to be noticed.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:51 PM
davidchristopher
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TileArt
I did not pay a lot for it, got it for (almost) a song.
Yes!

It doesn't show in those photos but the driver's door stuck out almost 1/2" from the body panels on either side. The entire interiors of the doors need to be stripped, cleaned, rebuilt and I'm adding power locks. Also need to do some fiberglass work on the front of that door, as well as the fender in front of it.

A lot of the components are shot/missing. No reason to replace things I'll never use and have another thing to fix when it randomly decides it wants to be noticed.
I've seen door damage like that before, and given that the driver's side door doesn't align- CHECK THE BIRDCAGE AND BODY MOUNTS BEFORE YOU SPEND THE FIRST NICKLE.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:30 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

It's unbelievable!

We got our projects out of the same basket!

It's supposed to be a "1968"!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Sure is in need of a lot, but it is still cool. It will be cool to see this car finished.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:15 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by davidchristopher
I've seen door damage like that before, and given that the driver's side door doesn't align- CHECK THE BIRDCAGE AND BODY MOUNTS BEFORE YOU SPEND THE FIRST NICKLE.

if you got it for free, the scrap yard will probably give you a couple bucks for it.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 PM
TileArt
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidchristopher
Thanks David, I did check everything very well before and have disassembled much to get at those particular things this afternoon to check after I read this. They are all solid and in good shape. The bottom hinge of the door was wonky as hell and for some reason there were three shims in the top hinge. I think the combination caused the door to do that.

No idea at all why that was done, but it wouldn't be the dumbest thing done to this car. It was a stock manual transmission, there is now an auto in it with a hurst shifter and a skull's head on top. That, to me, says a lot about the kid who owned it at one point. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Originally Posted by doorgunner
It's unbelievable!

We got our projects out of the same basket!

It's supposed to be a "1968"!
Hey! Yours has a lazy eye too! (Nice '68...LMAO)

Originally Posted by Brandons72vette
Sure is in need of a lot, but it is still cool. It will be cool to see this car finished.
Thanks Brandon, I'm convinced it will be worth it - still trying to convince my wife...
Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You said you painted cars. You will potentially save thousands doing it yourself as a professional. Here is how to get those thousands TWO times on this project.

Put a nice average RED paint job on this car. Sell this car with the Resale RED paint job. Take that money and buy something that is a year closer to be ing drivable and much less expensive to work with. You won't regret it.

This car needs too many parts, will be very expensive to make workable.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 PM
TileArt
Instructor

I do not paint cars. I said it looked like someone painted it with a brick.

I know you guys are trying to help me not get in something upside down (which I am, and I'm well aware of it) and are making these comments in an attempt to help - I appreciate it. I really do. But the car stays and it's getting built.

I understand what it will take ($$$-wise) and I understand it's going to be a hell of a lot of work, but I've decided what I'm going to do, it's what I WANT to do. I'm just as happy turning a wrench and solving problems as I am driving down the road. It's just the way I'm wired.

Speaking of wiring...about that alarm wire...

Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

well good for you and good for that car. It sounds like you know what you are in for, and if you enjoy solving problems, you will love this project
Old 07-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks Brandon, I'm convinced it will be worth it - still trying to convince my wife...
Don't worry, I had a '75 a lot like this one. Had sat since '79. A mess.

I have been building my '70 428 CJ Mustang for a "few" years and it is still a basket case.

I started out with something like your C3, and it was probably worse. Since I began on it, I have $30K invested in just returning the shell into something structurally sound and pretty to look at. It still needs interior, motor, trans, suspension,electrical,etc. I have a lot of that stuff waiting to be put on, but I haven't had the time for a year or two. It is worth it, even though there are easier and cheaper routes….if you changed it up now…it just won't be the same. One way to think about it is that if you haven't done a project before…easy is the way to go and then the next one build a little harder, and the next a little harder, etc. Well…like some of us….we go the other way. We get the hardest project first and work our way backwards. Which is fine, because if you can build the hard one….anything after that one will be a breeze.

Take lots of photos of everything to document the work and help guide you once it comes time to put things back.

Here are some of the '70 Mustang. It is an old drag car, 428 FE CJ BBF with an 871 blower.

Last edited by Brandons72vette; 07-20-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 AM
TurboStitchCW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the car stays and it's getting built.

I understand what it will take ($$$-wise) and I understand it's going to be a hell of a lot of work, but I've decided what I'm going to do, it's what I WANT to do. I'm just as happy turning a wrench and solving problems as I am driving down the road. It's just the way I'm wired.

That's the "fun" and memorable part....I should know, I'm the same way. I had a head start on mine, she was still running and had most of the interior (which looked like a paint bomb went off inside). Some folks don't understand when I say I'd rather rebuild a part rather than just buy something brand new.....but I'm sure you get it. We'll be here to answer any questions, no matter how dumb you think they are. We all started somewhere.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Good luck with your project..looking forward to your progress reports.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:34 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 796 Likes on 545 Posts

I congratulate you no finding a hobby that will keep you out of trouble. I also am doing a '78 that I got for a song also. The reality of it is this, if it ever runs again out of the garage on it's own power, I will be ahead of the game. I am just haveing more fun than I could imagine. My wife calls it therapy. Just finished putting in new floor pans and you'd think I covered them in gold or something, I am so happy with the results. Enjoy turning the wrenches, and the best part is these are not out daily drivers, so there is no hurray to finish. Take you time and do it the way YOU want it. Keep us up on your progress.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry, I confused you with another basket case someone else posted and was a painter.

One nice thing about needing all the interior soft parts is that they will all be new. No old car smell. Those seats can be made good as new with new foam and covers. All the parts are readily available and you will have a nice new interior.

Get notified of new replies

To Roger's 78 basket case

Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Stlrfan88
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally parked a hole in the garage into which I can throw money in the form of a 78 Corvette. Right now it's a basket case, but I plan to solve that with a lot of hard work and a similar amount of money.

Engine is blown (owner before last threw a piston into the oil pan - how the hell do you even do that???), but I wanted to replace it anyway. Interior is essentially gone, although all gauges are present and seem to be in fairly good condition. No idea about working order, but I'm replacing everything on the interior anyway, so moot point...

And it looks like someone painted it with a brick.

Good news is that the birdcage and frame are in surprisingly good condition with only surface rust, and the body is straight with no discernible bubba body work on it, although the paint is not yet stripped.

Seriously - it's a basket case. But I'm going to bring her back from the dead. I'm sure I'll have a LOT of (probably stupid) questions. Yes, the AIM is on the way.

After staring at it for about a week trying to figure out where the hell to start, while saving money for an engine (and probably transmission), I've decided to start by removing the doors and rebuilding them. Driver's door had the only apparent fiberglass damage at the front end where the door was misaligned and pivoted against the fender - so it came off first. May as well start somewhere...

My first question: I'm planning on ridding the car of the factory alarm system. The harness in the door for the power window and (I assume) the alarm is together. Can I just remove the alarm wiring from that without shorting or otherwise damaging the window wiring attached to it? Or would I be better off just getting a new harness for just the window motor?

Sorry for the long post, please be patient with what will surely be a bunch of ignorant questions. I learn quickly but have a really bad habit of over-analyzing absolutely everything. Also if I've put this in the wrong section please let me know.

Here's some 'before' pictures, she really is a basket case.
Good Luck. I am in the process of doing a frame off restoration on my 76. Mine was a nice daily driver and probably only needed a few thousand to make her a really nice driver. Instead I took the body off a perfectly good running car and dove head first into the deep end. I have gotten great advice and help from this forum, as will you.

Before

Almost brand new interior will be replaced. Don't like the Brown

Interior completely removed

Body Removed

Motor, trans, and suspention will be removed shortly so the frame can go off to the powder coater.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Perfmach1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like a cool project to me. Yours is nice, I bought mine in boxes.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:28 AM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I know you guys are trying to help me not get in something upside down (which I am, and I'm well aware of it) and are making these comments in an attempt to help - I appreciate it. I really do. But the car stays and it's getting built.

Speaking of wiring...about that alarm wire...

Don't get discouraged, I also got a basket case.. I'm moving forward slowly but its coming together..

My basket case below when I started..

Quick Reply: Roger's 78 basket case