Sponsored by:

Seeking advice, buying a corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Tunupa2013
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice, buying a corvette

Hi, I'm an new member who is looking to buy a Corvette. I've always like these cars and I would like to get a project car that I can work on and enjoy. I've found two, both 1980 and I'm having hard time deciding for one. The first one is a green one with the 350/190 hp original motor with 90,000 kms. Engine sound great, body and paint on good shape and no rust in the underbody. Interior is dirty and needs work for sure. The second one is a L82 350/ 230 hp original engine with 220,000 kms. red with good paint and interior. Engine needs work as it sound as if a cylinder is misfiring, which could mean a lot of things. It has hole in the frame the size of a baseball underneath the door. The first car has the good engine and body going for it, but the interior need work, the second one has a bigger engine and the paint and interior are in great shape, but it has the hole in he frame and the noisy engine. Both are selling AS IS and the price difference between the two is $200 more for the red L82, not sure if by being a L82 might be worth more to have it in the long run,. I would appreciate it if I could get some opinions, I plan to make this a project with no intention of selling it, it'll be my toy for summers and if I sell it would be much later. The plan is to work on it as time and money permits, no rush to make it showroom condition right away. It'll be great if I could actually talk to one of you experts over the phone, pls email me if this is feasible. Thanks.

Last edited by Tunupa2013; 07-19-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I would run from the frame issues. Interior is pretty easy to redo, frame and motor not so much
Old 07-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Tunupa2013
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vette-kid
I would run from the frame issues. Interior is pretty easy to redo, frame and motor not so much
My dilema is that the one in better shape is a L45, while the other one is a L82, I don't know if in the long run a L82 would be more valuable and desirable. I guess Part of the decision also has to consider which car could become more collectible in the future, but I don't know if this is something to to consider with this specific model/year. I know they aren't the most popular.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Post some photos of the cars. If the red one has a huge amount of cancer on the frame, and 220K, then it probably needs to be repaired more than the other one with half of the mileage. If the frame is that gone, a new one would cost $1,000-$2,500, and a lot more, time, money, space, etc. So if you buy the red one, expect to find a lot of problems and expect to be doing a frame swap and beginning a frame off restoration. With all of that work done, that is easily $15,000 to go through the motor, suspension, frame, brakes, etc. One thing to consider is that if the frame is gone, so should the bird cage.

The red one is cool, but it sounds like you are going to be buying a headache. IF you buy the red one, offer at least a $1,000 less than what they are asking. Explain that the frame is in bad shape, and to replace it you will be reducing the cost of the car to allow for the repairs to be done.

Now for the green one, so it needs interior. Lets not kid ourselves, interior work is costly but compared to the frame swap, it is nothing. For someone just getting into Vettes, if you go ahead with the red one, and attempt to do a frame swap, sadly most people get overwhelmed with the task(s) and just abort the project. How are you at working on things? The green one will have challenges of its own when it comes to the repairs, but the cool thing is that the work is confined to just one area. Interior work is easier to do than the entire car. The task is smaller and it allows you to drive the car while you work in it. The red one, well…I wouldn't think you would be able to drive it much while working on it. So the green one sounds like it is more roadworthy and ready.

The L48 or the L82 are both cool. They are still C3 Corvettes. Cant really loose. However, you could always build your L48 to be faster. The L82 is the cooler car, sure. But if you are set on getting an L82….I would probably pass on the this one. If you just want a C3…the green one is probably the one I would get. Of course this is sight unseen and no pictures.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:06 PM
davidchristopher
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tunupa2013
My dilema is that the one in better shape is a L45, while the other one is a L82, I don't know if in the long run a L82 would be more valuable and desirable. I guess Part of the decision also has to consider which car could become more collectible in the future, but I don't know if this is something to to consider with this specific model/year. I know they aren't the most popular.
You need to reset your priorities. It doesn't matter if it's an L48, L82 or something in between. The frame issues on the other one trumps EVERYTHING.

Frame rust? Guaranteed birdcage rust. Cost to restore, insane. Ask me how I know. By the way, can you spare any change? Will work for Corvette parts.

Hopping up a small block is cheap and easy.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:06 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

You say you'd like a project car......until it becomes an expensive headache. Nothing is cheap for these cars. Best thing to do is find a good car that needs next to nothing and enjoy it. With use, you'll have to start doing little things to it to keep it in top condition. In older cars, things wear out. You'll get your chance to turn wrenches.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Like the comments so far stay away from frame problems. You can still drive a car with most of the interior removed. A frame off with little experience could quickly turn into a basket case that never gets finished. That L48 with a free flowing exhaust and a good tune-up is still a fun car. You list the mileage in KMs so you are not in the USA that too is going add $$ to any project.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW, the baseball sized hole is one you can see. There are likely to be others you have not seen.

Pass on the L-82 car.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Tunupa2013
Heel & Toe

Thank you all for your postings, very valid point about the rust problems. I 'll probably stay away from the L82, too much rusk I think. I'm not a mechanic, but I grew up around cars and I had my share of tinkering situación cars. Never done anything like this, and I'm looking forward to the project. Here are some pics, of the cars,
Attached Images  

Last edited by Tunupa2013; 07-21-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Tunupa2013
Heel & Toe

Thank you all for your postings, very valid point about the rust problems. I 'll probably spray away from the L82, too much rusk I think. I'm not a mechanic, but I grew up around cars and I had my share of tinkering situación cars. Never done anything like this, and I'm looking forward to the project. Here are some pics, of the cars,
Can't upload more than one at the time
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Tunupa2013
Heel & Toe

Can't upload more than one at the time
Another one
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Tunupa2013
Heel & Toe

Another one
The red one
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Tunupa2013
Heel & Toe

The red one
Another pic
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2014, 12:40 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

One option may be neither and keep looking?!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

License plate # on red 'Vette: "BOLT 178."

Irony, vanity plate, or tally of missing fasteners?

Both of those cars require a fine tooth inspection comb. Likelihood of additional problems - high.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.

Originally Posted by harmonyp

You say you're not a mechanic so stay away from project cars. Having the work done will be WAY more expensive than finding and buying a turn key car.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
I have to agree here. The best advice we can give you is to not fall in love with the first cars you see. They made a lot of Corvettes between 68 and 81 and there are still quite a few hiding in barns and garages waiting to be discovered.

Best advice I can give is to figure out what you want (year, coupe/convertible, auto/manual) and post an ad on Kijiji (Canadian Craigs list) with what you are looking for. When I did that a couple of years ago I was contacted by a ton of people with cars that weren't advertised!

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Seeking advice, buying a corvette

Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

You can do yourself a favor with just a couple of items. Try to find a car that has been not retired out in the elements. At least grab something someone has been kind enough to garage, or store well tarped and out of the rain and moisture.

You're going to be wrenching on it no matter how good a condition you find the car in. Try to buy a car in the best condition - interior and mechanical components, that you can. Finding a car that someone else has recently put work into is a good thing. Circumstance dependent of course, but better they've spent the money to try to restore - like changing out bushings, rebuilding clutch and trans and rear end, than you having to do it. Be patient - there are lots of these cars out there, but they can trickle into your realm slowly.

I've found advice that should be listened to, above all others - learn to trust it. It's from your own gut. If you have doubt, don't proceed. You'll know the right car when you've found it.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Tunupa2013
Heel & Toe

Thank you again for all the comments, I've actually decided to pass on both cars. I'll keep looking and hopefully find the right one soon, so you'll probably hear from me sometime soon. Until then cheers!!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Thank you again for all the comments, I've actually decided to pass on both cars. I'll keep looking and hopefully find the right one soon, so you'll probably hear from me sometime soon. Until then cheers!!
Look into your area Corvette Clubs. There might be someone there who has one for sale. Better to buy from an enthusiast than something laying around in a back yard.
Have you checked the C3 For Sale section here???

Quick Reply: Seeking advice, buying a corvette