Sponsored by:

Installing new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:50 AM
vfrancisco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new exhaust

I have this new exhaust from Corvette Central (duals out the back) for a 77 w/auto trans. I have removed all the old exhaust and the manifolds. My question is, I'm going to change to electric choke and do I take the guts out of the old heat riser or is there a manifold spacer that works for the 77, because the only one I see is for a 68-74, also what is the best choice for new bolts and should I put in a gasket because there wasn't one when I removed the manifolds.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:29 AM
Sugar Bear
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vfrancisco
I have this new exhaust from Corvette Central (duals out the back) for a 77 w/auto trans. I have removed all the old exhaust and the manifolds. My question is, I'm going to change to electric choke and do I take the guts out of the old heat riser or is there a manifold spacer that works for the 77, because the only one I see is for a 68-74, also what is the best choice for new bolts and should I put in a gasket because there wasn't one when I removed the manifolds.
Vince,
I just did the same thing to my '81. I gutted the heat riser and did not use a gasket. It didn't have one and the A.I.M. does not show one. I was just looking at Ecklers and on their Late, Great Chevy page (Impalas, Bel Airs, etc), they show a spacer to take the place of the heat riser. A new set of manifold studs and brass nuts should be fine. You can get them about anywhere. Hope this helps.
Andy
Old 07-12-2014, 01:14 PM
vfrancisco
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Vince,
I just did the same thing to my '81. I gutted the heat riser and did not use a gasket. It didn't have one and the A.I.M. does not show one. I was just looking at Ecklers and on their Late, Great Chevy page (Impalas, Bel Airs, etc), they show a spacer to take the place of the heat riser. A new set of manifold studs and brass nuts should be fine. You can get them about anywhere. Hope this helps.
Andy
Thanks Andy, I was just looking at my ecklers catalog and it's just vette parts, so is this a different catalog ? I didn't know what bolts to use cause they had brass,stainless and steel and they listed up to 76 then 78. I find this all the time with my 77. Also did you put a gasket on the manifold to heads?
Old 07-13-2014, 03:37 AM
Sugar Bear
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vfrancisco
Thanks Andy, I was just looking at my ecklers catalog and it's just vette parts, so is this a different catalog ? I didn't know what bolts to use cause they had brass,stainless and steel and they listed up to 76 then 78. I find this all the time with my 77. Also did you put a gasket on the manifold to heads?
Vince,
I came across the spacers on their website. If you look across the top of the home page you will see all the different Ecklers sites. I found them on the Late, Great Chevy site. Click on exhaust and you will find them on the first or second page. I did use the 3 piece Fel Pro gaskets between the manifold and the head. My '81 has the factory stainless steel manifolds and a couple of the bolts can be a real bear due to clearance. The 3 piece Fel Pro gaskets allowed me to get all my bolts started back on and then just drop the gaskets in between the manifold and head. I got them at AutoZone. As far as bolts go I used the factory bolts to put the manifolds back to the heads. To bolt the exhaust to the manifold I had to get a little creative. Bubba had put a cobbled together dual exhaust on the car and when he did he drilled out the exhaust manifold studs. He didn't do a very good job and elongated all the holes. The only way I could go back with a regular stud was to put a helicoil inside a helicoil. I wasn't very comfortable with that so I used 3/8 bolts and nuts of the appropriate length to give me something a little more positive. Hope this helps.
Andy
Old 07-14-2014, 02:25 AM
vfrancisco
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Vince,
I came across the spacers on their website. If you look across the top of the home page you will see all the different Ecklers sites. I found them on the Late, Great Chevy site. Click on exhaust and you will find them on the first or second page. I did use the 3 piece Fel Pro gaskets between the manifold and the head. My '81 has the factory stainless steel manifolds and a couple of the bolts can be a real bear due to clearance. The 3 piece Fel Pro gaskets allowed me to get all my bolts started back on and then just drop the gaskets in between the manifold and head. I got them at AutoZone. As far as bolts go I used the factory bolts to put the manifolds back to the heads. To bolt the exhaust to the manifold I had to get a little creative. Bubba had put a cobbled together dual exhaust on the car and when he did he drilled out the exhaust manifold studs. He didn't do a very good job and elongated all the holes. The only way I could go back with a regular stud was to put a helicoil inside a helicoil. I wasn't very comfortable with that so I used 3/8 bolts and nuts of the appropriate length to give me something a little more positive. Hope this helps.
Andy
Thanks Andy it helps a lot, I just wasn't sure about the gasket and I don't want to get it together and have to take it back apart. I think for the price of the new spacer I'll just use the old one because I gutted it yesterday. I really appreciate the help. Thanks Vince

Get notified of new replies

To Installing new exhaust

Quick Reply: Installing new exhaust