Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic red '74, worth pursuing?

Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 AM
lonegunm4n
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
None of the other stuff (M20 or M21 trans, AC, etc.) really impacts the value of this particular car.

Personally, I'd make a change to power windows part of the rebuild, but don't make it a crisis right now. And in the end, you'll probably roll with the windows down 98% of the time anyway...

All that aside, $3k sounds like as good of a place to start as any. Obviously, cheaper is better as you correctly point out. But remember two things: If this was NOT this particular car, we'd be at $1k instead of $3k. And BECAUSE this car is THIS car, if that floated up to $4k, it wouldn't be the end of the world. All of this is based on your information that it has the original engine, the car is no hit, and the frame/underside is generally good shape but for surface rust...no out of control cancer.

And as previously stated, if he comes in with "I won't take a penny less than $8k" business, that'd be a real shame. If you have the money, you might STILL be in OK shape with THIS car...but I'd have a very hard time choking down that type of money.

If he comes in with "I won't take a penny less than $15k", just walk away.

--For $5k, he'd be pushing you pretty hard, but you'd still be in the hunt...I probably wouldn't go any higher, personally.
--For $4k, you'd be doing the guy a favor and getting yourself into a special car for a decent price.
--For $3k, you'd be getting a good deal on a GREAT "starting point".
--For $2k, you'd be stealing it.
--For $1k, you'd be robbing the guy blind and taking his kid's lollipops.

Sounds like you're barking up the right tree, my friend. I wish you the best of luck.
I think your price breakdown above is exactly how I feel. $5k to $5.5k would be the absolute max I would pay, but I would prefer to pay $3k or less.

But, like illenema said, I have a feeling the gentleman knows what he has, so I have a feeling I'll be paying closer to $5k to $3k.

I talked to the wife last night about it, and she is fairly supportive. She doesn't care for the way the back end looks, but thinks it looks 'cute' from the front. I told her the only people that'll see the back end are all the people we pass.

Now, she wants to go with me when I talk to the owner about it. Smart play or ask her politely to stay at home? My thought is to have her come with me, so that way the owner doesn't think I'm a yahoo that's going to hot rod the **** out of it. I'm leaning towards working the restoration/preservation angle, especially if the owner is in his mid-80s.

I'll keep everyone updated as to what happens. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be posting high quality photos of it in my garage.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

An asking price of $5K is not otherwise unreasonable.

Take your wife.

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by lonegunm4n
Now, she wants to go with me when I talk to the owner about it. Smart play or ask her politely to stay at home?
I think it's a good idea. Having a wife shows some responsiblity and stability rather than potentially a party animal who might trash the car without thinking twice. Its a bit of a balancing act but if this guy hates to sell his baby I think it would be helpful to tell him you're going to restore it to its original glory and give it a good home. On the other hand you don't want to seem desperate to have the car or he'll think you'll be willing to pay a much higher price.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:45 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM
lonegunm4n
Cruising

My buddy, gotta love him, sent me the following pics. His phone was dying, so the flash didn't work, so he had to use a flashlight.

Motor:

It does have the original carb and air cleaner, which are conveniently located in the back behind the seats.

ZH 454 emissions sticker. Why he took a photo of this, I have no clue.

If you zoom in, you can see the casting number of CWM.

Hopefully that'll convince everyone it actually has a 454.

Hopefully the wife unit and I are going to go this weekend and talk to the gentleman about it. I'll keep everyone update.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:28 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

The engine doesn't look like any more or less of a project than the rest of the car.

Very awesome that it is complete and assembled. If you were Richard Rawlings, you could toss a carb on, some plugs in, change the oil, and do some burnouts probably.

Personally, I'd make one hell of an awesome project car out of that thing. Really cool find.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

If you're thinking of putting the carb on and trying to start up that motor, if it was me I think I'd pull the intake and make sure nothing untoward has fallen in there.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:23 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
If you're thinking of putting the carb on and trying to start up that motor, if it was me I think I'd pull the intake and make sure nothing untoward has fallen in there.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:40 PM
lonegunm4n
Cruising

Anyone ever see a trim tag mis-stamped like that? I thought it weird the trim and paint were correct, but the date code was so off like that.

Based on the VIN breakdown, since I can't read the trim tag, she was made on January 18th, 1974.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

When speaking with the owner, I would let him know you are planning on keeping that car alive; bringing it back to life. Most Corvette owners, if they are like me, place value on that. Otherwise, before long that beatuiful car will be junk. He may not care, but I would.

And, if I may ask, is this the car you want? These cars require a huge commitment.
Oh yeah, I would buy that car in a heartbeat. An air BB in sunny CA is the bomb!
My next car just might be a 74...
Old 07-17-2014, 01:00 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have to see the car myself to make a recommendation but good luck and njoy
Old 07-17-2014, 04:50 AM
lonegunm4n
Cruising

Originally Posted by Jeff_Keryk
When speaking with the owner, I would let him know you are planning on keeping that car alive; bringing it back to life. Most Corvette owners, if they are like me, place value on that. Otherwise, before long that beatuiful car will be junk. He may not care, but I would.

And, if I may ask, is this the car you want? These cars require a huge commitment.
Oh yeah, I would buy that car in a heartbeat. An air BB in sunny CA is the bomb!
My next car just might be a 74...
Yes, as I've always wanted a Corvette. Most of the ones I find around here in central Texas that have been in my price range have either been bubba'd to death or a Corvette shell on a completely rusted frame/rear end.

This would be my first full frame off restoration, but I've been working on classic cars since my mid-teens.

Here is a picture of a mostly original '70 Riviera I purchased and did a little work on (new water pump, front seal, replaced both head gaskets, rebuilt the carb, complete brake job, re-wired the AM/FM radio, and took care of a few small rust issues in the trunk). The interior is all original, numbers matching 455 V8 and transmission, and still has the original GM paint. It came with the original owners manual with protect-o-plate imprint, all the original service paperwork from the Buick dealership, and the original protect-o-plate. I got it for cheap, because the owner had installed the distributor and the spark plug leads wrong, so it didn't run right.

I've been driving the Riviera for the past year, but it's not quite what I'm interested in right now. The 455 V8 packs a serious punch, but it's not a sports car. That's part of the reason why I'm so excited to find this Corvette, because it's exactly what I want and have been looking for.
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes, as I've always wanted a Corvette. Most of the ones I find around here in central Texas that have been in my price range have either been bubba'd to death or a Corvette shell on a completely rusted frame/rear end.

This would be my first full frame off restoration, but I've been working on classic cars since my mid-teens.

Here is a picture of a mostly original '70 Riviera I purchased and did a little work on (new water pump, front seal, replaced both head gaskets, rebuilt the carb, complete brake job, re-wired the AM/FM radio, and took care of a few small rust issues in the trunk). The interior is all original, numbers matching 455 V8 and transmission, and still has the original GM paint. It came with the original owners manual with protect-o-plate imprint, all the original service paperwork from the Buick dealership, and the original protect-o-plate. I got it for cheap, because the owner had installed the distributor and the spark plug leads wrong, so it didn't run right.

I've been driving the Riviera for the past year, but it's not quite what I'm interested in right now. The 455 V8 packs a serious punch, but it's not a sports car. That's part of the reason why I'm so excited to find this Corvette, because it's exactly what I want and have been looking for.

Nice Riv'! I sure wouldn't get rid of it. Heck, I'm 55 years old and believe me, you start looking at Riv's, Eldo's and Delta 88's, just a wee bit differently!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:07 AM
lonegunm4n
Cruising

Sorry guys, no happy story here.

My wife and I went to meet with the gentleman on saturday. I explained that I was wanting to purchase the Corvette to restore her to her former glory and to get her back on the road where she belongs. I explained I had no interest in turning her into a hot rod, I simply wanted to do a full restore and enjoy her as a Corvette is meant to be enjoyed. I even offered to let him have a drive in it when I finished restoring it.

He got pissed off, told me that he had always wanted a Corvette, and that he wasn't going to sell it. He said he intended to go to the grave owning it, because it was his car.

Today, I hand wrote an apology letter and mailed it to his address, saying I didn't mean to upset him, that I understood what the car meant to him, and reiterated that I wanted to just restore the car and enjoy it with my wife.

My hope is he'll either have a change in heart or pass away and one of his heirs will see my letter.

Last edited by lonegunm4n; 07-22-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

My wife and I went to meet with the gentleman on saturday. I explained that I was wanting to purchase the Corvette to restore her to her former glory and to get her back on the road where she belongs. I explained I had no interest in turning her into a hot rod, I simply wanted to do a full restore and enjoy her as a Corvette is meant to be enjoyed. I even offered to let him have a drive in it when I finished restoring it.

He got pissed off, told me that he had always wanted a Corvette, and that he wasn't going to sell it. He said he intended to go to the grave owning it, because it was his car.

Today, I hand wrote an apology letter and mailed it to his address, saying I didn't mean to upset him, that I understood what the car meant to him, and reiterated that I wanted to just restore the car and enjoy it with my wife.

My hope is he'll either have a change in heart or pass away and one of his heirs will see my letter.
…….………

We all have been denied like this. I feel the pain. Nothing like finding the car you are falling for only to be rejected and then some. Persistence is key though, and someday, one day he will die. We all will. For the car's sake it sure would be nice to go to a loving owner. Just keep your head high and keep looking.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bet he will be taking it to the grave with him.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Bummer, why did he get mad? You might want to offer to help him out with the car, seal it up better from the elements, move it closer so he can keep an eye on it or even work on it. But it sounds like you did that in your apology letter and I hope it works out for you in the long run.

Get notified of new replies

To Metallic red '74, worth pursuing?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Yep, very typical. There's actually a website dedicated to cars like this and their stubborn owners. A lot of pics of cars rusting in fields and driveways and I mean really rare, cars, like the 1970 Buick GSX, rusting on a driveway for decades, 428 CJ Mach's. Heck, I know where a '70 Plymouth Cuda is located. It's got the blacked out rear panel and is red with the hockey stripe sticker down the side! The old woman told me, "we're going to restore it one day". It's been under the pine tree, next to the garage for at least fifteen years! So your story, is not at all that uncommon. It was a very thoughtful thing for you to write the apology and it might pay off in the end or not. Good luck in your search and keep looking, you never know. My good buddy found a 1970 Boss 302 in somebody's backyard not that long ago and it went to another bud at work, who already has one and knows those cars. He got it for $15k!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 AM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Default 74

I had a similar experience a few years ago. An older gentleman in Florida had advertised his one owner 46,000 mile 73 L82/4 speed coupe for sale. I talked to him several times over the phone and I was under the impression we had agreed on a fair price. I traveled from Texas to Florida to look at the car and he wanted more money than we discussed. Since I had already agreed to pay more than I thought it was worth I walked away - he just didn't really want to sell it. The car is still for sale and he wants even more money for it. It was a nice original car 3 years ago but I don't think it has been driven since I was there. I would still like to have it.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 AM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

sad your story ended on an abrupt angry note.
the letter will be nice.
yea, you don't know what the vette means to this owner...or his reasons...
if you are wanting to restore a vette, don't get hung up on one specific one, since it doesn't seem like this one is going to work, i'm sure there are many out there just waiting for a chance....good luck!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Metallic red '74, worth pursuing?