Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic red '74, worth pursuing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:01 AM
lonegunm4n
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess no one decided to do a VIN break down on what I posted earlier :P (The VIN decodes to a 454 V8).

I did check the motor, and it is the proper numbers matching V8.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by lonegunm4n
I guess no one decided to do a VIN break down on what I posted earlier :P (The VIN decodes to a 454 V8).

Poop...you're right.

1=Chevy

Z=Corvette

67=Convertible

Z=LS4

4=1974

Engine matches the car?

Looks like you've got your eye on quite a jewel, there.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There's usually a good reason why a car gets parked and abandoned. The sitting makes things worse, not better.

This car is definitely worth checking out- but be aware that it might need $20-30K to get it back to nice shape and you'll be upside down for a very long time.

'74s have fibreglass floors, no rust issues there.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by keithinspace
...Z=LS4...
Let's hope the Z is still in it.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM
lonegunm4n
Cruising

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Let's hope the Z is still in it.
The Z is still in it, numbers match the car.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
There's usually a good reason why a car gets parked and abandoned. The sitting makes things worse, not better.

This car is definitely worth checking out- but be aware that it might need $20-30K to get it back to nice shape and you'll be upside down for a very long time.

'74s have fibreglass floors, no rust issues there.
Yes, the floors are fiberglass.

As to a possible reason for it being parked, it may relate to health issues. The owner is apparently in his 80s. That car may be a memory link to healthier and happier times and he may be reluctant to part with that link despite current circumstances. That is of course pure speculation but how many stories have we read here where classic cars are just sitting and the owners will "get around to it" some day. Unfortunately those cars become part of an estate sale at some point. I certainly would explore further what the pics are not telling us and what the possibility of a sale and if yes, what the price might be.

I suspect the figure of $20,000+ is close.

Last edited by Paul L; 07-11-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

A numbers matching Corvette - cool.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Any chance of getting a clear close up pic of the stamp pad for my collection?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:53 PM
lonegunm4n
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Any chance of getting a clear close up pic of the stamp pad for my collection?
Mike,

I will see what I can do to get one for you. My buddy that works in the area is off this weekend, so it'll be Monday or Tuesday.

-J
Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Possibly time to begin serious negotiations.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:54 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by paul 74
I suspect the figure of $20,000+ is close.
Let's put this into perspective, though.

He's starting with a car with the original engine and, presumably, transmission.

He's starting with a particularly desireable car. Not in the way that a "chrome bumper" car is desireable...a little different...this is the way that "the end of an era" and a VERY low total production number is desireable.

I have it on very good information that a 1974 Convertible 454 4-speed is a particularly rare and valuable combination that several "Corvette Guys" are constantly on the lookout for.

Point blank, I could blow $20k on my car VERY easily (I'm already up to $16k including the original car and haven't even sneezed yet) and end up with a car that is worth no more than $15k on the open market.

If you get this car RUNNING AND DRIVING with the original engine and transmission...do a "garage worthy" frame-off...get rid of the surface rust and do a nice methodical 2 year project fixing and replacing components as necessary...and you could be looking at a SOLID $30k car.

I'm NOT talking about blowing your brain out on NCRS GM perfection. I'm talking about a nice, respectful clean-up and re-do of the car as it sits. If I were doing it and I shot the paint, I'm talking about a total investment in the $15k...max $20k...territory over the course of 2 or 3 years. That includes a professional going-over of the engine to the tune of $5k.

My, and others, point is that THIS car could be worth it. THIS car could be worth bashing your head against a wall.

Because THIS car is a pretty special little beast. Not the next car you look at. Not the car you looked at 2 weeks ago. THIS car. THIS car has a very special place in Corvette history.

All that said, if you DO have 'bones' that allow an NCRS type restoration. And YOU are WILLING to undertake an NCRS-type restoration, you could up that restoration price to $50k and the time commitment to 6 years (to do the necessary research and get everything PERFECT) and you could be looking at a 6-figure car at the end of those 6 years. I'm not trying to be silly...we're talking about 2020 here.

But if it were me...given the delta...I'd be pretty darn happy with getting the car on the road and enjoying it a bit.

Last edited by keithinspace; 07-11-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Keith,

Well said. My 1974 convertible is a base SB but gives me a lot of enjoyment. I would imagine a BB would boost that considerably. I would look at this car very seriously.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:21 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by paul 74
...My 1974 convertible is a base SB...
Nothing to sneeze at...I'm sure the awesome-ness ABOUNDS around your car. No doubt.

Aesome-ness abounds around MY car an IT IS NOTHING SPECIAL. Nothing more than a random 350/300 car with some non-numbers-matching time and attention put under the hood.

But if, before you even started, it came down to you deciding to spend $4k to rescue YOUR CAR out from under a random tarp in a random field beside a random double-wide, you would have thought a few minutes about your return-on-investment before embarking on such a journey...
Old 07-12-2014, 04:40 AM
lonegunm4n
Cruising

When (not if ) I am able to buy it and get it home, the plan I have in my head is to do a 'garage-worthy' frame off restoration and drive it like the sports car it was designed to be. I may do a few shine and shows, cruise-ins, events like that, but have never had any desire to try my hand at concours-type events.

And who knows, maybe in 15 years or so, my interests may change and I may be willing to do an NCRS-style restoration (I'm only 26 )but for, I'd just want to enjoy it.

And it seems the general consensus that around $3k is a fairly reasonable asking price? Obviously cheaper is better, but I'd like to make a decent offer that'd be fair to all parties involved.

Edit: I looked at my notes again, and forgot to add: It has AC, manual windows, and AM/FM Stereo. I don't know what manual transmission it has (wide or close ratio), and I don't know what rear end it has in it either.

Last edited by lonegunm4n; 07-12-2014 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

None of the other stuff (M20 or M21 trans, AC, etc.) really impacts the value of this particular car.

Personally, I'd make a change to power windows part of the rebuild, but don't make it a crisis right now. And in the end, you'll probably roll with the windows down 98% of the time anyway...

All that aside, $3k sounds like as good of a place to start as any. Obviously, cheaper is better as you correctly point out. But remember two things: If this was NOT this particular car, we'd be at $1k instead of $3k. And BECAUSE this car is THIS car, if that floated up to $4k, it wouldn't be the end of the world. All of this is based on your information that it has the original engine, the car is no hit, and the frame/underside is generally good shape but for surface rust...no out of control cancer.

And as previously stated, if he comes in with "I won't take a penny less than $8k" business, that'd be a real shame. If you have the money, you might STILL be in OK shape with THIS car...but I'd have a very hard time choking down that type of money.

If he comes in with "I won't take a penny less than $15k", just walk away.

--For $5k, he'd be pushing you pretty hard, but you'd still be in the hunt...I probably wouldn't go any higher, personally.
--For $4k, you'd be doing the guy a favor and getting yourself into a special car for a decent price.
--For $3k, you'd be getting a good deal on a GREAT "starting point".
--For $2k, you'd be stealing it.
--For $1k, you'd be robbing the guy blind and taking his kid's lollipops.

Sounds like you're barking up the right tree, my friend. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:23 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to be a lot of work in that car. I dont think the owner will give it away for 3K pretty sure he knows what he has reason he has kept it.d
Please keep me updated that will be a very sweet ride indeed!
Last thing you need is one that needs 2 years worth of work.

Last edited by illenema; 07-12-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Keithinspace I think that's well thought out advice on prices.

Get notified of new replies

To Metallic red '74, worth pursuing?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:52 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by illenema
Going to be a lot of work in that car. I dont think the owner will give it away for 3K pretty sure he knows what he has reason he has kept it.
I'm concerned about that, too.

This is an odd one. Nobody will pay what the car is "worth" with the car in its current condition.

The current owner can't do the work himself.

There's a 99.99% chance the current owner won't commission the work (and it's $50k price tag if a restoration shop does it).

And the value/restorability goes down every day it is under a tarp in the grass. If it were in a garage and the car wasn't full of moisture, it could probably easily command $8k and still be a good deal for the purchaser...

This is one of those situations where the current owner needs to be educated on the car and made to understand that he WILL NEVER get more than what is being offered. And if the offer is turned down, he WILL NEVER get another similar offer because the car will continue to rot...
Old 07-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I will be following this thread with great interest!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:21 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I'll be following it also.

Quick Reply: Metallic red '74, worth pursuing?