Sponsored by:

Disappointed with Quality of Reproduction Fan Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:10 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Disappointed with Quality of Reproduction Fan Shroud

Just wanted to share my disappointment when I opened the box with my new fan shroud that was at my doorstep when I got home today. I was excited to open it...but that quickly changed. This is probably one of the worst reproduction parts I have ever received. Not quite sure how the vendor makes them, but it appears like the shroud is made in a couple of pieces and then somehow bonded together? I am planning on returning it back to the vendor I purchased it from tomorrow. Haven't decided if I will ask for a full refund or give them one more shot at sending me a better one. Take a look at some of the photos below and you will see what I mean. Have any of you ever ordered a reproduction fan shroud that looked like this???

Lots of Pics!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,193 Likes on 2,751 Posts

Just a suggestion:

You'd better send the pics (with the questionable areas highlighted with a marker) back with the shroud....the vendor might not have a clue as to how a reproduction shroud should NOT look.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:35 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Looks used to me. Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

The mounting holes looked awful.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Bought a repro (plastic) shroud for my 73 about 4 years ago. Quality was better than yours, but it has since warped. Putting the extension on would result in the fan blade hitting it.
Fran
Old 07-01-2014, 12:03 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

At first glance of the shroud, it seemed to be used, but it is not. Just a really poor attempt at trying to reproduce the original version. Seems like the vendor did not spend a lot of money on designing the mold to make the shroud as evidenced by all the blemishes, rough and unfinished edges, and poorly formed/trimmed bolt holes.

I tried placing arrows on green painters tape and sticking it to the shroud to point out all the areas that looked horrible so they can see why I am returning it, but the shroud seems to have a lot of mold release chemical on it or something and the tape will not stick. I am hesitant to use marker for the fear they will not accept the return and allow me to exchange it with it all marked up.

The photos of all the bad spots on the shroud are hard to see, but trust me, this shroud is definitely not one I would be proud of if I installed it on my Corvette.

Going to give them one more shot at sending me a replacement that is hopefully in better condition. If the next one is just as bad or worse, I will ask for a full refund!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It kinda looks like they made a mold from a busted up original shroud. It looks pretty rough and I'm sure it wasn't a cheap part.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:01 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is a prime example of why original parts are sky high.

Most repro parts are cheap, poor quality junk, that doesn 't work, last ,or look correct.

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointed with Quality of Reproduction Fan Shroud

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Quality of Reproduction Fan Shroud