Sponsored by:

Can you say blown budget?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Can you say blown budget?

Well I finally got around to tallying up the file folder of receipts from the past 3 yrs of my 72 rebuild. I needed to figure out what to insure it for as it's ready to haul down to the paint shop. I'm only over budget by 10k
Now, I've shopped sales. Have done all the mechanical work myself. Except the long block build of the original engine. (Only charged $300 for the block Assy.) other than powder coat I've done it all. Diff, tranny, all suspension, all body work etc.
I was delusional. To do a total rebuild on one of these cars is going to cost you. A lot! Good thing I plan on keeping it. Lol.
The upside, my painter is giving me a super price as the car is literally ready for the spray booth. The bad, I still need to finish the interior.
Darn good thing I owe nothing on it. Just need to work more o.t.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:42 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

This hobby gets expensive for sure, but it's cheaper than drinking and carousing and a lot more satisfying.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:56 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
This hobby gets expensive for sure, but it's cheaper than drinking and carousing and a lot more satisfying.
That's what we do, when we work on the cars!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:05 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,216 Likes on 2,766 Posts

Sunstroked.........I told my whiff.......Wife.....that the total budget for the car was.......errrr.....IS $10,000......(now, WE members know 10,000 means 15,000)......with me doing all the work.

It's a GOOD thing that the previous owner rebuilt the radiator, the engine, the A/T, new dash harness, and a rebuilt T/A assembly.....then---he lost interest.

So keep up the good work....it's only M0NNIE!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
Well I finally got around to tallying up the file folder of receipts from the past 3 yrs of my 72 rebuild. I needed to figure out what to insure it for as it's ready to haul down to the paint shop. I'm only over budget by 10k
Now, I've shopped sales. Have done all the mechanical work myself. Except the long block build of the original engine. (Only charged $300 for the block Assy.) other than powder coat I've done it all. Diff, tranny, all suspension, all body work etc.
I was delusional. To do a total rebuild on one of these cars is going to cost you. A lot! Good thing I plan on keeping it. Lol.
The upside, my painter is giving me a super price as the car is literally ready for the spray booth. The bad, I still need to finish the interior.
Darn good thing I owe nothing on it. Just need to work more o.t.
Yea I would be scared to tally up mine... Got mine insured right now at 10K when done Ill take it to 20 or 25K. Since I started at 5k and been increasing it as it comes along. Post some pictures of the painting process.

Tim
Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
Well I finally got around to tallying up the file folder of receipts from the past 3 yrs of my 72 rebuild.
No good could ever come from that! I don`t WANT to know, and my wife is smart enough not to ask!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldgto
No good could ever come from that! I don`t WANT to know, and my wife is smart enough not to ask!

"WORDS to stay married by!"

Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The words "Budget" and "Corvette" mean nothing to me.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 PM
staplehead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more $ and time than sense

as has been discussed numerous times in this. It makes absolutely no sense to buy a car spend three years and tens of thousands of dollars 2 finish it in the long run and lose interest. It is a far better deal to find a car completely done that the owner once out of. Case in point. My 68 roadster. L 79. Frame on restoration. Numbers matching. The previous owner invested with the car $52,000. I got the car for less than half of the investment. No work.no parts. No pissed off wife. No garage full of crap. Other than a 9 out of 10 68 roaster that I can drive a mediately and resell and make a profit
Old 06-18-2014, 11:27 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I am three years into mine. I quit tallying long ago. Probably spent my original budge at least twice. It would have made more finincial sense to buy one built. But. I built it exactly the way I wanted it, and I get a lot of satisfaction knowing I built it. I made some really good friends during the process who gave me a ton of help. I learned how every part of the car works when I put it back together. I made some parts that are unique to my car.
Overall I have enjoyed the journey. Seems like (almost) everything that is enjoyable costs money. If somebody does not enjoy the journey but only seek the destination, there is nothing wrong with that either. We are all unique and have different goals.
I just like flipping on the light in the garage and thinking "I did that"
Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Want to feel better at going over budget on your beloved Corvette? Add up what you have spent on cable, internet, and cell phone service over the last 10 years. Suddenly the Corvette hobby is not so bad..............
Old 06-18-2014, 11:54 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I enjoy piddling in my shop on cars, doing a frame off restro is more enjoyable then going out to bars. I built a shop on our property so I can spend time working on vehicles.... Yes I might spend more then the vehicle is worth but it is how I want it. I have a 37 Dodge pickup in the garage that was my last project... Lots to fun to drive around town and to car shows...

Old 06-19-2014, 12:09 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
And one heck cheaper than divorce payments or child support
Old 06-19-2014, 01:47 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not plan on adding up what I have spent.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:30 AM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
last payment next month. Over $250,000......
Old 06-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
I have been doing cars for many years now. It's a hobby not an investment. If you do it for investment this is the wrong thing to do. It is fun. It costs money. I have no idea what is in mine and don't care. Probably could buy a brand new Vette for what I have into it. I have bought and sold a lot of parts so so entires it is a wash. I recently went through a divorce, nothing to do with the car and it cost me plenty. You know what? I am happier than ever in my life and I continue to buy corvette parts. Don't worry about the budget. Don't kill the house hold budget but set aside what you can and enjoy it. You only live once you had better enjoy yourself. No reset button.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:12 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by staplehead
as has been discussed numerous times in this. It makes absolutely no sense to buy a car spend three years and tens of thousands of dollars 2 finish it in the long run and lose interest. It is a far better deal to find a car completely done that the owner once out of. Case in point. My 68 roadster. L 79. Frame on restoration. Numbers matching. The previous owner invested with the car $52,000. I got the car for less than half of the investment. No work.no parts. No pissed off wife. No garage full of crap. Other than a 9 out of 10 68 roaster that I can drive a mediately and resell and make a profit
Depends on what part of the hobby you enjoy. If jumping in and driving is your thing then you made the right choice. If anything from tinkering to major changes/restoration is what you enjoy then (like me) you will be the guy dropping the big money and passing the savings on if you decide to sell.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you say blown budget?

Old 06-19-2014, 07:37 AM
bwinterstine
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Slow '90
Depends on what part of the hobby you enjoy. If jumping in and driving is your thing then you made the right choice. If anything from tinkering to major changes/restoration is what you enjoy then (like me) you will be the guy dropping the big money and passing the savings on if you decide to sell.
To me, the satisfaction of knowing that I rebuilt it myself is priceless. Having said that, I still wouldn't spend 2x what a car is worth. Balance!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by mac79vette
I do not plan on adding up what I have spent.
You are a smart man. I sold a '66 Chevelle SS a few years back. I was depressed for a month after totaling all of the invoices up. There was no way to recoupe all of that money. I took a severe *** beating when I sold it.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:04 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Want to feel better at going over budget on your beloved Corvette? Add up what you have spent on cable, internet, and cell phone service over the last 10 years. Suddenly the Corvette hobby is not so bad..............
OR..............

what "Precious" spent on clothes/jewelry/shoes/purses

Quick Reply: Can you say blown budget?