Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Wave

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When out for a cruise I personally wave at all old 'toy' cars, any year Corvette and anyone else that waves at me. Around this area very few people daily drive their 'toys', so, any year Corvette is recognized as a distraction from daily life; if they are out for a drive in a C6 vert it is obviously for pleasure same as me in my C3!

Just 2 weeks ago, while driving home from a show, I came upon a younger couple out for a drive in a C6. I got a double over the roof wave from both before I even saw them!

I don't necessarily wave at the car; its more a wave to the lifestyle of owning a toy of any make and year!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:19 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

am I the only person who thinks it's stupid? I wave back if someone waves first because I don't want to be rude, but It makes me feel like we're a group of snobs and no other cars are good enough. They're just old Chevys
Old 06-11-2014, 12:03 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The wave, which became the handshake, goes back much further than cowboys. Back in day of old, people would expose their right hand as a friendly gesture to assure the other that they did not have a weapon in their hand. Weapons were traditionally carried to be easily accessible by the right hand. Now we just wave to exhibit our friendliness.

Waving at other Corvette owners, as well as the owners of other cool modes of transportation, is simply a nice thing to do.

Last edited by CaseyJones; 06-11-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:43 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Good looking chics get waves....walking or riding

Old guys get ignored
Old 06-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't start getting waves until I bought my first motorcycle, and even then it was only from other bikers. Cage-drivers don't wave at bikers, even if the cage-driver is another biker. Seems getting a biker-wave is only going to happen between 2 bikers, when on their bikes. I've noticed the same around here with classic cars. We have a car show or cruise-in at least once a month from April through November, so I see a lot of classic cars regularly. I've waved at everything from Model-As to Firebirds, 41 Fords to Dodge Vipers, because I appreciate a fine automobile when I see one. Still, the only ones that ever initiate a wave, or wave back, are other Corvettes. So in my experience, Vette drivers only wave to each other. I assume similar with Camaros, Mustangs, etc.

I don't get upset if I don't get a wave back: I don't give to get. If anyone waves at me I'll wave back no matter what I'm driving. Being friendly's free, and it keeps my blood-pressure down.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Hpozzuoli
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always wave. Most of the newer Vettes don't wave back unfortunately.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Jtsulli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife calls it making friends
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
This sounds like a changing of the guard. You guys are describing "Share the wave," not "Save the Wave."

When I first started buying Corvettes in the 70s, "Save the Wave" was a big deal and Corvette owners simply never missed exchanging a wave. Lots of Save the Wave T shirts, etc. But the entire purpose was the Corvette Brotherhood... we would never consider waving to other makes of cars. That would defeat the purpose of the connection to other Corvetters.

I talk to other car people in traffic, but I wouldn't wave at them.
My first car was a well (ab)used XK120 Jaguar in 1960. http://www.myruffhouse.com/xk_120_jaguar.htm
There weren't many Corvettes running around back then, but there were plenty of MGs, Triumphs, Jags, Austin Healeys, Mercedes. Everybody waved. The cool cars like the Merc's could flash their headlights instead of waving. It didn't matter, you always waved back. I just always assumed the Corvette guys adopted the sports car wave - they sure didn't originate it.

Now I mostly wave to Corvettes. And cool cars and kids. It's all good.

Pete
Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 AM
'71LT-1Stingray
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Jeep and wave at all other Jeeps.

I have a Harley and wave at all the other bikes on the road.

Now that I have a C3 Vette, I wave at all Vettes and classic cars.

I get confused sometimes and no matter what I'm driving or riding out of these three, I wave at bikes, Jeeps, Vettes, and classics.

Most people realize it's a brotherhood out there on the road when you're sharing the same mode of transportation.

Most people do wave back and even the ones that don't, I don't care or let it bother me. Half of the ones that I don't see wave probably just threw their hand up when it was to late for me to see it or they never saw me in the 1st place...lol. I know it's happened to me where someone waved and by the time I waved back, they had already passed and never saw me throw my hand up. It's all good though, I'm just out there having fun if I'm on the Harley or in the Jeep or Vette. These modes of transportation are only on the road for cruising and cruising = fun.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:12 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I get the wave even in my DD..hmm, come to think about it, it isn't actually a wave, and it's only one finger.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I only wave to other (any gen) Corvettes, but I will return any wave.

The Jeep Wave is only for Wranglers, no one ever waves at us when we're in the Liberty. I've noticed a few younger guys driving GTIs do V-fingers instead of wave so I do that back. Or maybe they're flipping me off British-style, I dunno.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I still blame the lack of C5 - C7 waves on air conditioning. Drivers cocoon inside and ignore the outside world. That being said, I was out the other day and got waves from a C2, 2 C6's and a C7. It was a nice day in the lower '70's so everyone's windows were down.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Doug's 77
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been waving at other vette's since the Eighties. It used to be very comon now I can't remember the last time someone waved at me first.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Driving home today, in my Vette, I pulled into my subdivision and a kid in a lifted F250 was at the stop sign, he waved so I waved back
Old 06-13-2014, 01:32 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Got a pretty good wave tonight, from the guy in the faded red '68 Chevelle. I saw him coming up behind me and spotting the wide tires and stance in the rear view mirror, there was that notion, that I might just get a wave.

He pulled up alongside and... And we exchanged most cordial greetings. For some strange reason, it was just a little hard to hear though... At the top of the hill, pulled alongside, wave and a thumbs up, he went right and I watched a fine solo demonstration of a SBC Chevelle moving out.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:34 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my area, I almost always get waves from people in older Vettes. I get waves from about half of newer style Vettes. The true car guys will wave. The wealthy people that only have the car as a status symbol will not. I guess they just don't get it.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:42 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,751 Posts

Originally Posted by LudemJo
My wife thought it was just me...then she started paying attention...

I wave at all Corvettes, classic cars, and hot rods while I am driving my Vette.

When I ride my Harley, I wave at all motorcycles, to include scooters and trikes regardless of the brand or style. I don't take it personally when people don't wave back because I've missed my share of waves because I was concentrating on all the drivers that were trying to kill me.

If I see you, I will wave.

John
Words to stay alive by!

Get notified of new replies

To The Wave

Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bondoboy
In my area, I almost always get waves from people in older Vettes. I get waves from about half of newer style Vettes. The true car guys will wave. The wealthy people that only have the car as a status symbol will not. I guess they just don't get it.
That's about right for around here too. Harley bikers will give the thumbs up a lot for my vette.

Older car s and sports cars , muscle car people wave quite a bit.

C4 guys wave ..bless their hearts

C5 occasionally

C6. Almost never...... Their car is butt ugly and they want to ignore that...Most of these guys are just ....

C7. They are clueless , in a rush ....all bout being in a hurry and status symbol......not enough real men own these cars....none car guys .
Old 06-13-2014, 08:08 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

A month or so back I got a wave from a late model Ferrari, of corse I returned it likewise.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:09 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
...C6. Almost never...... Their car is butt ugly and they want to ignore that...Most of these guys are just ....

C7. They are clueless , in a rush ....all bout being in a hurry and status symbol......not enough real men own these cars....none car guys .
You should be careful about making generalizations like that. When I drive my '69 convertible and my '07 ZO6, I always wave at Corvettes that I see, heck, I even wave at Vettes when I'm driving my F250.
I'm certainly a car guy I have many friends who own C6s AND C7s. They too are car guys.
Just because we can afford new Corvettes doesn't mean we are clueless, non-car guys. It means we like the engineering and performance the new cars deliver.
When your C3 was new there were likely owners of ratty C1s and C2s who looked down at the owners of those new C3s, calling them clueless and snobs.
No hard feelings, just don't judge. We are all in this for FUN. And that's

Quick Reply: The Wave