Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Bleeding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 PM
LarMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Steering Wheel Bleeding?

This past weekend I bought a used Kwik-lift!!!

(BTW, their website suggests one person can set it up but they suggest two. This is a lie. One guy named Ox or Guntar or Brutus might be able to set it up but I had to recruit help after I ran out of cuss words, energy and strength. Sure, you can move the pieces around by yourself and get the sections bolted together but to get everything set up and aligned.... but I digress).

ANYWAY, while getting my a$$ kicked by the Kwik-Lift, the 73 coupe sat in the hot Texas sun for several hours. After I got into it drive onto the ramps, I noticed my hands were dirty after grabbing the steering wheel. The steering wheel was literally oozing brownish / reddish goo. At first I thought it was hot grease or gear oil but it seemed to be coming from the "seam" in the steering wheel grip. I wiped it up the best I could and drove the car onto the ramp.

I assume it was 41 years of Armor All coming to the surface but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem before.

Original steering wheel.
Did not see any sign that liquid or grease was running down a spoke onto the handle.

Any thoughts anyone?

(BTW, I LOVE the Kwik-Lift)

Thanks.

LarMan
Houston, TX
Old 06-05-2014, 03:20 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can only assume it's years of blood sweat and tears put lovingly into that steering wheel over time... Could always put a aftermarket wrap on it, or get a new one... But, I'm thinking it's going to be a consequence of owning your pride and joy... If it bakes in the sun again..
Old 06-05-2014, 05:02 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like the bleeder screws on your steering wheel are leaking. Might be time to replace them.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes the plastic used in these old steering wheels does that. On my '78 Chev truck, the original steering wheel is covered in sticky goo. It takes mineral spirits or something like that to clean it off, but it eventually comes back. Must be the old semi-soft plastic breaking down or something.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:21 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,263 Likes on 2,787 Posts

Originally Posted by rcread
Sounds like the bleeder screws on your steering wheel are leaking. Might be time to replace them.
I have to go with the above answer...............

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheel Bleeding?

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Bleeding?