Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moment I Became Self Aware I Was Crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:36 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Moment I Became Self Aware I Was Crazy!

I posted this pic in my fiberglass repair thread but needed some pretty good help with this so wanted to start a dedicated thread.
2014 vs. LT-1

So since the C7 part of the forum so far has been almost completely useless I need help from the awesome C3 guys! Don't let me down.

$250 later I have pieces and a dream.

Okay. Here's where the help comes in!!!! Stock it looks like the C7 just used the push pins(white things) to attach the vent to the hood. Since I don't have the stock C7 hood with built in holes(or any way to get pictures of how it actually mounts), or want the vent to be permanent once attached I need to do something different.

I was thinking recessed bolts molded into the fiberglass repairs I'll be making then put a lock nut on the inside near the engine. (Need to check my clearance first.)

Any other suggestions on a way to mount the vent to any custom fiberglassing I do?

Don't try to discourage me...it'll only make me want to do it more lol.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's very cool

Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

No......No!

Don't do it!

Step away from the hood!

Get a grip MAN!

(There....my work is done here!)
Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 PM
T-TOP TOM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

It's your car go for it. You don't know until it is done how much you or others might like it. DO IT
Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

I like it! Looks very cool. Don't forget to consider the structure on the underside of the hood before you cut! Also, you might just consider mounting it, with those white push pins, if the hood can handle it. Just saying.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I would listen to Regis (F22), he has cut a C3 hood and had excellent results. You may need to fabricate some bracing on the underside of the hood to provide support depending on what internal support you cut out to install the hood vent.

I think it is a cool idea, and can't wait to see it completed.

John
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by F22
I like it! Looks very cool. Don't forget to consider the structure on the underside of the hood before you cut! Also, you might just consider mounting it, with those white push pins, if the hood can handle it. Just saying.
Problem is I don't have any clue what those white things actually went into on the C7 hood as it wasn't a separate part that I could order and it looks like once pushed onto the hood it can't be removed(without drilling the white clips maybe). That is something I don't want to happen on mine... since it'll need to go on/off many times for the modification process.

That's why I was thinking recessed bolts or a nut into the fiberglass of the hood. Then some rubber washers on both sides of the black part to prevent it from getting over-tightened.

Also! Don't expect mine to look exactly as the C7 does!!!! I'll make it fit and do my best
Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Ron71
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

I would go with rivnuts. They mount similar to a pop rivet and would allow the machine screws to be taken out repeatedly and would allow the vent to be removed if needed. I bought my rivnut tool and assorted rivnuts at Menards I believe.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

O.K.

I got it!

O.K.

Phase 1........................

Put all the loose pieces of the puzzle in a labeled jar on a shelf in a dark closet.

Now....since the hood depression fit on the white hood is no where exact compared to the C7 hood pic....the question is:

Do you want to fit it/black vent into the existing depression in the white hood?

Yes?

Then proceed.

No?

Then fiberglass the depression in the white hood for a perfect fit similar to the C7 fitment.

Put your answer here: _______

Phase II will begin in a moment.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:39 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by doorgunner
O.K.

I got it!

O.K.

Phase 1........................

Put all the loose pieces of the puzzle in a labeled jar on a shelf in a dark closet.

Now....since the hood depression fit on the white hood is no where exact compared to the C7 hood pic....the question is:

Do you want to fit it/black vent into the existing depression in the white hood?

Yes?

Then proceed.

No?

Then fiberglass the depression in the white hood for a perfect fit similar to the C7 fitment.

Put your answer here: _______

Phase II will begin in a moment.
The depression on the white hood is just behind the radiator support. SO without major changing of the radiator/support/angle the vent HAS to go in the current depressions spot.

I have a few ideas of what I'll do to make it work. Just the biggest concern I have is how it'll attach to the hood when done... since I don't like the white clips.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE

I posted this pic in my fiberglass repair thread but needed some pretty good help with this so wanted to start a dedicated thread.
2014 vs. LT-1

So since the C7 part of the forum so far has been almost completely useless I need help from the awesome C3 guys! Don't let me down.

$250 later I have pieces and a dream.

Okay. Here's where the help comes in!!!! Stock it looks like the C7 just used the push pins(white things) to attach the vent to the hood. Since I don't have the stock C7 hood with built in holes(or any way to get pictures of how it actually mounts), or want the vent to be permanent once attached I need to do something different.

I was thinking recessed bolts molded into the fiberglass repairs I'll be making then put a lock nut on the inside near the engine. (Need to check my clearance first.)

Any other suggestions on a way to mount the vent to any custom fiberglassing I do?

Don't try to discourage me...it'll only make me want to do it more lol.
I think it will look like a hack job because the vent is smaller than the hood depression, how hard would it be to make a vent (or modify what you have) that has the look your looking for but would better fit the curves of the C3 hood?

Another thought, buy another vent and widen the vent to fit the hood.

Last edited by Jack605; 06-05-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Another thought
Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Those white nylon clips are pretty big and by their design, they spread the load around each hole, with those wings. I'd bet that they'd be very difficult to even break. If it works on the C7, can't see why it wouldn't work here. You could also put a thin sheet metal frame around the underside of the hole in the hood, if you're worried about the hood, but I'd bet, that it's at least an 1/8" thick. Just make sure the total depth of the hood and the metal, don't exceed the capacity of the nylon pins. My hood pieces are held on with 3M Professional Body Adhesive Tape!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jack605
I think it will look like a hack job because the vent is smaller than the hood depression, how hard would it be to make a vent (or modify what you have) that has the look your looking for but would better fit the curves of the C3 hood?

Another thought, buy another vent and widen the vent to fit the hood.
Yeah...I wasn't planning on just cutting an opening to fit the vent and calling it good.

The plan is to cut and fiberglass the current hood to fit the vent. i've been practicing my fiberglassing skills on the rest of the car for a while now so I think I can make it look decent.

The main difference I can't really change is I can't go any lower. So the initial rise on the LT-1 hood, then depression has to stay there where on the C7 hood it's basically flat, then indent for vent.

Originally Posted by F22
Those white nylon clips are pretty big and by their design, they spread the load around each hole, with those wings. I'd bet that they'd be very difficult to even break. If it works on the C7, can't see why it wouldn't work here. You could also put a thin sheet metal frame around the underside of the hole in the hood, if you're worried about the hood, but I'd bet, that it's at least an 1/8" thick. Just make sure the total depth of the hood and the metal, don't exceed the capacity of the nylon pins. My hood pieces are held on with 3M Professional Body Adhesive Tape!
Yeah. Like I said above I don't have the holes in my hood that those white clips would fit into and even if I put them in somehow(have no clue) there is no way the vent will come back off once clipped it from what it looks like...which i don't want. I'm almost positive they'll need replaced with something else that'll allow me to remove the vent when needed...just haven't decided on what yet.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 06-05-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Why would you have to remove it, later on? Once it's on, it's a permanent part of your hood! Why the worry about drilling the holes, when you're already cutting a huge square chunk out of it, to begin with? Unless you might have slightly creeping thoughts as to what size those holes have to be, to fit the wings through on the nylon pins and their relation to the square. I'll run it by my Shop Partner, John. He's a mechanical genius type of guy.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:45 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

is it an original GM hood? if so maybe sell it off and pick up an aftermarket one to chop up...I do like the idea though
Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by F22
Why would you have to remove it, later on? Once it's on, it's a permanent part of your hood! Why the worry about drilling the holes, when you're already cutting a huge square chunk out of it, to begin with? Unless you might have slightly creeping thoughts as to what size those holes have to be, to fit the wings through on the nylon pins and their relation to the square. I'll run it by my Shop Partner, John. He's a mechanical genius type of guy.
one because the car isn't painted yet. So i'll have to have the vent on/off i'm sure a hundred+ times while I fiberglass and sand to fit.

Then once it's done i'll need the vent off to paint. So in theory I can't ever mount the vent up until after I paint or else it's not coming off.

I'm also not 100% sure how my LS1 intake will fit when the hood is closed with this vent in place. What if I shut the hood and break a fin? I'd have to work hard to get the broken part off and replace. making it removable just seems like the safter and easier thing to do imo.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by BOSTONCAMARO
is it an original GM hood? if so maybe sell it off and pick up an aftermarket one to chop up...I do like the idea though
It's aftermarket. APR? I bought it used from a guy who never installed it.

It's going to suck cutting up a brand new already primmered hood but o well.

Get notified of new replies

To Moment I Became Self Aware I Was Crazy!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:59 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

That vent will look good on that hood though I prefer the BB hood style the way it is. But it is most definitely doable. I would start by cuting out the recessed part of the hood and with resin and mat make it even and smooth without it. But still having somewhat of a recces, Just not at that much of an angle. Then make an exact template of the vent (only the part that protrudes through the hood) and make the cut out in the hood. Once you have the vent fitting nicely into the hood with good fit and finish then I can see that there are a few ways you can attach it from the inside. That I would bet you can figure out on your own. I wish I was better at explaining things on a keyboard but the bottom line is that I could see it being done and looking good. Go for it.

Last edited by persuader; 06-05-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:12 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

the stock C7 hood is double walled so the clips can latch in and not come through the top of the hood. if the Lt-1 hood is a single layer of fiberglass the only option is going to be to glue the louver on. GM had a recall for the H3 hood louvers and they made us glue the louver on with windshield adhesive. should work for you c7 louver also.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I would devalue your car by the cost of a new hood and paint if I were looking at purchasing it.

I'd really recommend painting it the same color as the hood otherwise it's going to start looking like a Pep Boys car real fast. The black plastic stuff does not blend well with the style and lines of a 1969 car. Personally, I think it looks like crap on C7s(one of a few of my gripes with the C7).

Please don't put that stupid C7 stingray emblem on the side of the car. It looks like bird poop(or worse).

Quick Reply: Moment I Became Self Aware I Was Crazy!