Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I leave repairs to the pros..

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 PM
skeptic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why I leave repairs to the pros..

Yes, bucking the trend, I don't like working on cars 'cause I suck at it.

My '81 spent 3 years of sitting in my garage, during which time I took out the interior, replaced the carpet and a few other little things, and put it back together. Trickle charger on the battery the last year or so. When all done the tach didn't work, stereo didn't work, battery gauge didn't work, choke light on, battery charge light on.. I checked the fuses in the foot well, took the dash back out, made sure the gauge connections were all good... No change. I know what you're thinking, check fuses and relays under the hood, but I didn't. Everything worked before I started messing with it, so I was sure it was something I did in the interior.

FF to this week, finally out of storage, oil change, fresh tank of gas with engine cleaner ran through then another tank of gas, and time for emissions testing - it failed. Thinking this might happen I had taken it to a shop that's part of a dealership and I just left it there for them to fix. They replaced "a bunch" of fuses (under the hood I assume) and tuned the carb. Not only did it pass smog, but all those gauges work now.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:47 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,216 Likes on 2,766 Posts

Yes......I also am bucking the trend!

Some members are great at making heaps of money........

I SUCK at making even little lumps of money..........

So......I leave it to the professionals.......

and I do my own repair/resto-mod work......

Just smear a little grime under your fingernails before you write the check to the restoration shop that your car is at, and everything will balance out....

We each have to do what we have to do to get the cars completed!

Last edited by doorgunner; 05-30-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 PM
skeptic
Racer

The last "real" wrenching I did was about 15 years ago. The evening before going on a weekend wheeling and camping trip I was at a gas station filling up my Jeep and the water pump went. I managed to find a new water pump and gasket before all the stores closed and set to changing it in the dark. Somehow without realizing it, I managed to fold an edge of the gasket enough that it leaked. Trip canceled, Jeep went to a mechanic, and I decided to leave real work to real mechanics.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM
CAN-AM69
Racer

We've been bucking the trend since 1988, that was the last time my husband twisted a wrench on a vehicle......it slipped off and chipped his front tooth. He put the wrench down and said 'That's it.' and it was! Since then we buy what we want already done or we pay the 'professionals' to do it for us......our '69 is currently at the local Chevy garage having the last few things done before we get to enjoy it for the summer.

I always envied those who could take a car apart, fix it and put it back together but you only have so many teeth, you know.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Changed my oil pressure sending unit tonight. Was done in 10 minutes, jacking the car up included.

Cut may hand on something, should/might go for stiches

Dodosmike
Old 05-30-2014, 10:40 PM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

That's the fun of the hobby, or lack there of. You do what you're comfortable with on the wrenching side of things and you go from there. After the dollars have been spent, it's the outcome that makes us happy. To each their own. Taking your beloved to a car show in working order and having onlookers give the thumbs up is priceless.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:52 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by skeptic
The last "real" wrenching I did was about 15 years ago. The evening before going on a weekend wheeling and camping trip I was at a gas station filling up my Jeep and the water pump went. I managed to find a new water pump and gasket before all the stores closed and set to changing it in the dark. Somehow without realizing it, I managed to fold an edge of the gasket enough that it leaked. Trip canceled, Jeep went to a mechanic, and I decided to leave real work to real mechanics.
Changed the water pump "in the dark" and you were surprised the gasket didn't seal?! You're probably better off leaving it to the professionals.

Pete
Old 05-31-2014, 12:24 AM
skeptic
Racer

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
Changed the water pump "in the dark" and you were surprised the gasket didn't seal?! You're probably better off leaving it to the professionals.

Pete
Ya, I knew it was a bad idea at the time, but I needed to leave at something like 5am to get where I was going for the trail run.

When I said "in the dark" I didn't mean literally by feel. I had the light of the garage and a flashlight. Really not enough light to really see well, but it was my only shot of making the trip.

I'm a bit surprised by most of the comments. I kinda expected a universal "learn to do it yourself or nothing will ever be done correct" reaction.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:25 AM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
Changed my oil pressure sending unit tonight. Was done in 10 minutes, jacking the car up included.

Cut may hand on something, should/might go for stiches

Dodosmike
Like the sign says, "no scar, no story".
Old 05-31-2014, 12:53 AM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by skeptic
When I said "in the dark" I didn't mean literally by feel. I had the light of the garage and a flashlight. Really not enough light to really see well, but it was my only shot of making the trip.

I'm a bit surprised by most of the comments. I kinda expected a universal "learn to do it yourself or nothing will ever be done correct" reaction.
LOL. We never seem to have the time to do the job right, but we always have the time to do it a second time. Kind of a universal law of being human.

Learning to do it yourself is always a good idea. But if you can't do it yourself, do your homework and find a shop that is trustworthy and will do it correctly.
For instance, I wanted to have the coolant changed (didn't want to deal with the drained coolant and danger to pets) in my '69 Corvette, so I went to a shop I take my F250 to. I told the owner I would bring in enough distilled water to add to the coolant. She, yep she, said, no need, we always use distilled water when we change coolant.

It's all good, learn what you can, and rely on the professionals when you have to. I'm too friggin old to do some of the hard work.

Pete
Old 05-31-2014, 01:18 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Kraft
Like the sign says, "no scar, no story".

When I wrenched sleds and boats for a living I'd add $20 to the bill if I drew blood while working.

It's the small things that give me pleasure

Dodosmike
Old 05-31-2014, 01:41 AM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Thank goodness I was blessed with the ability to do 100% of the work rebuilding my car. Growing up poor forced me to learn to do my own work or not have a car.
I can't imagine letting someone else work on my car for any reason. I enjoy going to the garage, turning on some good music, and wrenching on old motorcycles and my 'vette.

No offense intended to those who choose otherwise.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:58 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

That's why I sold my C4, couldn't deal with the electronics. Bought a 73 , just simple electrics and mechanicals, or so I thought. Every bolt on this car fights me every thread of the way.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:12 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Isn't "leaving things to professionals" the trend?
I don't think you're bucking anything.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:18 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by tpfarm
That's why I sold my C4, couldn't deal with the electronics. Bought a 73 , just simple electrics and mechanicals, or so I thought. Every bolt on this car fights me every thread of the way.
And that's the truth, brother!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:56 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Recognizing your abilities/skill level, saves money/frustration in the end.

I wouldn't perform surgery on myself..I recognize the fact that I don't have those skills.

Keep in mind, trying to save money, can be expensive.

Last edited by tokim; 05-31-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:36 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I do all my own wrenching on my vette. If something goes wrong I am not worried because it's not my DD. I let the professionals work on our daily drivers because I can't afford any extended down time.

Get notified of new replies

To Why I leave repairs to the pros..

Old 05-31-2014, 09:22 AM
blunblk68
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick71
Thank goodness I was blessed with the ability to do 100% of the work rebuilding my car. Growing up poor forced me to learn to do my own work or not have a car.
I can't imagine letting someone else work on my car for any reason. I enjoy going to the garage, turning on some good music, and wrenching on old motorcycles and my 'vette.

same deal here!! when i was 16 i bought a used 68 camaro and blew the motor 3 weeks later my parents said they wouldnt sink a penny into an old pos like that so if i wanted it fixed i had to pay for it!! so i bought a 20 dollar socket and wrench set and borrowed a friends hoist found a newly rebuilt 350 from a bud at a local junk yard (500 bucks) and in a week it was screaming and doing burnouts again!!! my parents were pissed they thought i would just cave and sell it cause they hated it lol!!!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

only time i go to the service shops is for tires, warranty/recall work.
been servicing my "Fleet" since the 70's
Old 05-31-2014, 10:57 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's an old saying that goes something like, "Those that can, do. Those that cannot, teach." And then there's those who can only manage to write the big check. I've known quite a few folks who used their considerable wealth to buys toys that amused them without the knowledge or ambition to pump their own gas. And then the proliferation of self-service gas stations forced them to change their ways. What a shame.

Quick Reply: Why I leave repairs to the pros..