Sponsored by:

Numbers Matching?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:27 PM
72C3Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Numbers Matching?

I have a 72 454 Corvette that has a 73 454 block, it appears to be the only part of my car to not be numbers matching.

Is it possible to get my car to be considered numbers matching? Or will it never be as I don't have the original block?

How much would putting a properly date coded 454 back in my car help with value?

Thanks

Last edited by 72C3Vette; 05-20-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:34 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Parts are original only once.....

but you can take a correct engine, deck the block, and have someone stamp it with the correct numbers and you will have a numbers matching motor.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:47 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 72C3Vette
I have a 72 454 Corvette that has a 73 454 block, it appears to be the only part of my car to not be numbers matching.

Is it possible to get my car to be considered numbers matching? Or will it never be as I don't have the original block?

How much would putting a properly date coded 454 back in my car help with value?

Thanks
Not as much as having a properly configured motor.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Is it possible to get my car to be considered numbers matching?...
Does it matter? Why not drive and enjoy it and not fret over it?

...How much would putting a properly date coded 454 back in my car help with value?...
Not much.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-20-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:55 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

[QUOTE=72C3Vette;1586943841How much would putting a properly date coded 454 back in my car help with value? .[/QUOTE]

A correct date coded block would gain points for NCRS judging. The deduction for a blank stamp pad is minor, playing down the importance of the stamp when the car is judged based on typical production of the day. This may gain some value if future buyers are interested in NCRS judging. It probably won't mean much to collectors unless someone plans to restamp.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:01 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

The engine block, with its VIN derivative stamped on the pad, which "matches" the VIN of the car body/chassis, is one of the few things that actually ARE parts that can be considered "numbers matching." (or not)

Many of the other parts you no doubt are referring to... intake, alternator, etc, etc, may have correct part numbers and appropriate date codes, but can be considered correct on a number of vehicles and in fact do not match anything.

A statement like "my car is numbers matching except the block" is basically nonsensical.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 72,
What information is stamped on the pad of your present block? Is it a block from another car or is it a service replacement block?
As BB70 mentioned a block with a casting number and date code appropriate for your car's production date would help judging-wise.
Were all the parts, (heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, carb, starter, waterer pump, etc., etc.) moved from the original block to this one? THAT would certainly help with the overall originality and judging potential of your car…. and may increase it's value to some people too.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-20-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi BV,
In the scenario you describe what is done about the pad's surface after the block is "decked"?
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-20-2014, 03:32 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi BV,
In the scenario you describe what is done about the pad's surface after the block is "decked"?
Regards,
Alan
My understanding is if you found a 1972 454 motor that is correct for the OP's car in some cash for clunkers corvette....rebuild the the engine, have the block purposely decked to smooth the pad (never done one so i do not know how it is done but I know the stamp is wiped clean) surface you can prepare it for stamping. Call up "Bubba's Stamps" and if they know what they are doing, can stamp that pad for ya. Now you have a numbers matching block.

Matching numbers motor does not necessarily mean born with this car.

If I am mistaken what I stated above please correct me.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi BV,
I'm just wondering about 'broach marks' on the pad's surface?
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-20-2014, 03:43 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Hi BV,
I'm just wondering about 'broach marks' on the pad's surface?
Regards,
Alan
My guess is they would be seriously wiped out after the decking of the block. I do not think you can remove the original stamp numbers without removing the broach marks?????

If the car is never going for NCRS judging there is nothing to worry about. And if it did, it still could do well even if it was confirmed not typical factory production and got slammed with a deduction. Nothing wrong with second flight.....

If you are a crook, the restamp could earn you higher $$$$ to the poor guy who buys the car thinking it is an original stamp because it is advertised as such.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi BV,
Oh.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 PM
72C3Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi 72,
What information is stamped on the pad of your present block? Is it a block from another car
Regards,
Alan
The block is from a 454 73 truck
Old 05-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi 72,
Did the the "parts" from the original engine make it to the replacement block?
If so, you'd be looking for a block…. If not, the list of parts you'd want to have to go with the dated block would be pretty long.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
The engine block, with its VIN derivative stamped on the pad, which "matches" the VIN of the car body/chassis, is one of the few things that actually ARE parts that can be considered "numbers matching." (or not)

Many of the other parts you no doubt are referring to... intake, alternator, etc, etc, may have correct part numbers and appropriate date codes, but can be considered correct on a number of vehicles and in fact do not match anything.

A statement like "my car is numbers matching except the block" is basically nonsensical.

And there you have it.

I hope I live long enough to see the day when the phrase 'numbers matching' fades away into obscurity
Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 PM
wyocat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Is it possible to get my car to be considered numbers matching?

---yes if you can find the original block--- has been done, with out the ORIGINAL block the answer is ..NO...

Or will it never be as I don't have the original block?

--Restamping is not "original" or NOM. Could you pass it off sure.. people counterfeit cars all the time.---

--No way to know until you know who the buyer is. a proper date coded block is still not close for some.. Others will not care.. but they won't be paying top dollar either.---

Thanks
John
Old 05-20-2014, 06:15 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

I too , hope to live long enough to see "numbers matching" fade away into oblivion.
however as long as people get caught up in the " numbers game" it will be over used , misused and abused.

Get notified of new replies

To Numbers Matching?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:36 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

So why do some of you loath the phrase "numbers matching"? Could it be you don't have a numbers car? Mine happens to have everything it was born with and while I really don't care about resale since I'm going to give this to my Son, I do think it's pretty cool
Old 05-20-2014, 07:33 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

to hijack the OPs thread with an explanation would not be the right thing to do.
my response to his questions should have been.....to some people numbers are everything to some people numbers mean very little , I would not waste a lot of time and money trying to get it date code correct unless he is getting it judged.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 813 Likes on 456 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

72c3vette,
I hope I can offer some positive advise here as this topic comes up often with new aquisitions. I asked this same ? here around 2010 when I became a vette owner too.
My '68 BB was decked and had a head job sometime in the 80's by a previous owner. The orig. passenger side head is the right date code and casting number ending in 215.
Either the machine shop screwed up the other head or hence the reason for the rebuild as it has an early '69 casting number ending 063head on the drivers side. NFI????
I discovered this when I did valve seals winter 2012.
I too thought I bought a car that maybe ruined value wise.
Again, after some forum feedback and considering what I wanted to do with the car the issue became less and less important.
I still get all the wow factor w/o being asked to open my hood so they can check the vin pad.
Mr car has 81,000 orig. miles now and many orig. survivor parts which I find neat. Just because this motor was freshened up in the 80's doesn't detract from the fact it is still a cool vette.
It actually saved me about 4 grand.
This whole NCRS judging came about in like 1979-1980ish.
Men like MF Dobbins took the corvette to another level with the document process, did it sell allot of his books... yeah it did.
I have two of them they are not cheap. Also sold allot of authenic replacement stickers too. Men made $$$$ off the process and still do.
You can enjoy it as it is as I do or take it to the next level, your choice.
I'd like to get mine judged someday even if it takes 2nd flight.
I'm not going to throw a zillion dollars at it to make some judging staff warm and fuzzy.
Before that any car rebuilt with a NOM or having the orig block deck surfaced was a plus it meant you had a new or fresh power plant.
Before all this judging stuff these cars were cruising toys like in Happy Days. Everybody met up at Mel's and had a cool time.
People would dig the car for what it was not what it wasn't.
If you went about restoration even with a NOM you would take a deduction at judging time but who says you can't try it and have fun experiencing the process.
Hope this helped
Marshal

Last edited by marshal135; 05-20-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Quick Reply: Numbers Matching?