Sponsored by:

Starter Identification Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:29 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
I'd direct all my efforts to determining if the present starter is/is not the correct one. Is there some reason you can't put the car up on stands to get underneath and look?
A very wise statement and question. I do not have stands but I know someone that does. Foolish me overlooked the starter when my car was on a lift a month ago. Before I go nuts looking for a starter I will debunk the one in my car first. It is still possible it is correct. Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi BV,
I would not wait till too close to the date you're going to have the Flight Judged to install your parts.
From the list of items you seem to be accumulating there may be issues getting everything in place, and everything operating normally and consistently.
I'd certainly want several weeks of driving the car and starting it under cold and hot conditions numerous times to make sure everything is working.
Usually in the weeks before judging people are going through the Operations list over and over to make sure everyone of those things is dependably working, not making mechanical changes.
If you lose even 1 line item on the operations list you'll negate any gain you may have made because of buying a dated or numbered part. For instance an item that may cause a problem is the windshield washer, the fiber optics, or lock cylinder that's installed upside down.
I also haven't heard any mention about items that may need attention in the other 3 sections. You seem to be focused on Mechanical only.
Have you gone through the other 3 sections thoroughly to see what kind of shape you're in in those?
Regards,
Alan

You're going to have a new starter, carburetor, and intake, AND, you've had trouble with the steering column…. I could see this car not starting at a very in-opportune time!

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-15-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Starter Identification Dilemma