Kicked in the gut...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM
TMan59
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicked in the gut...

Well the story goes like this.
Bought a 70 LT-1 7 years ago. All original, every nut and bolt. Most of the top end is in a bin, not on the car. Car looks and drives great, its my baby. Damn proud of that car.
Buy a big ole RV to travel and part of that deal is to sell the 70. Makes sense to me.

Buyer comes over, really impressed with the car. Original windows and windshield even. All the parts are checked out and this is the guy I want to have the car. He has an appreciation for the LT-1.

I hand him a big ole book of past titles and info.

There, right there, in the middle of all this "stuff" it says "Second owner had block replaced under warranty. Bad cylinder bore causing use of oil".

You got to be kiddin me.

Yes it is stamped, just like factory.

Further we find a signed letter from the second owner saying it was a GM warranty replacement in 72.

But no matter what, this car is not original. Never can be.

Now the question is, what do you call it?
It is a LT-1, just has a replacement block.

I am thinking of selling the original top end separately, as what does it matter? Getting the right parts on a car with the right block seems more useful.

And no I will not represent the car without saying about the block. No one can tell, but it just ain't right.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:43 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I still consider it original and OEM.....but just as long as you're 100% honest about it.

(you're a good man Charlie Brown!)
Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,213 Likes on 2,763 Posts

Rookie suggeston: If you can't get a reasonable price for the car....don't sacrifice your Baby!

OR.....in other words................

If you can't get a reasonable price for the car....don't sacrifice your Baby for a big-fat-RV!

Last edited by doorgunner; 05-05-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

It's stamped like an original block? I didn't think CE blocks got re-stamped, in 72 what would be the reason to re-stamp the block? It seems like some one was tring to hide the replacement block. And is that the block from 72? The question has been asked before is an Lt-1 without it's original engine still an LT-1? To me its just another NOM vette. Is a 350-350 car with a 305 still a 350-350?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by TMan59
...what do you call it?...
An LT-1 with a replacement engine. The warranty block would not have had specific vehicle information on the pad. I think the letter from the second owner concerning the replacement block is the prelude to an excuse for the restamp.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi TM59
Have you checked to see how much of ALL the other parts on the original engine were moved to the ce block?
If EVERYTHING is still there you still have a nice 70 LT-! with a situation that lowers it's value a bit but makes it assessable to a larger audience because they don't have to tell as big a lie to their wife about what the car they're buying costs.
Regards,
Alan

I too would like to see the pad to see what this stamping job looks like.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

CE blocks are all stamped with their CE serial number.

A concern to some potential buyers would be the block casting date. For anyone interested in NCRS, a block with a date code AFTER the car's assembly does not work, which leads to a big fat 175-point deduction.

What is the casting number of the block and its casting date?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
An LT-1 with a replacement engine. The warranty block would not have had specific vehicle information on the pad. I think the letter from the second owner concerning the replacement block is the prelude to an excuse for the restamp.

Its neither original nor OEM. Its what you said it is, a former LT-1 with a replacement (NOM) block from the factory.

A seller should appreciate your honesty, good for you.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:26 PM
TMan59
8th Gear

Thanks for all the responses.
So the guy who repainted the car in 99 is the one who did all the research to find out about the block replacement.
I am guessing he saw the CE and knew something wasn't right.

Then he had it stamped with a May build date and all the right #'s on it.
I got that info with the car, (the big notebook I didn't read far enough into) but wasn't told about it and who knows, maybe the guy I bought it from didn't know either.

On one hand it is still a 350 LT-1, 370hp, 4 speed, blah, blah blah.

But on the other hand it isn't, and can never be "right".

The question is what good are the original top end parts to this car? Not much as far as I can see.

It's got to be like finding out the kid you raised for 18 years isn't yours.

Already bought the RV so the car is going somewhere.
I am just so bummed. And it isn't about the $ or the value.

And I would NEVER sell it now as a "original" car.

Bad Karma is a bitch.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:55 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,213 Likes on 2,763 Posts

Well......since you've already purchased the RV.....ask the price that you originally had in mind.

Then, being your honest self, if the other party is seriously interested (not a gawker or low-baller trying to snag a quick 'Flip")......show them the documentation and let them counter-offer....who knows---they may be a Corvette-lover, but not an NCRS purist.

I, for one would be proud to own it....but I have my 1968/69/72/78 project car
Old 05-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Tman,
I think it still is "right"!
It still left St.Louis as an LT-! optioned car.
What matters is how much of what made it an LT-! beside the cylinder case is still there.
No, it doesn't still have the original cylinder case, but that only matters when the engine is being judged for originality, and when a value for the car is being determined.
99 out 100 people at a car show won't know the difference, or care a single bit.
Many high-performance engines lost their cylinder cases… for me that fact in no way puts them in the category with counterfiet cars that have been made to appear to have their original engines.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-05-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 PM
TMan59
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Tman,
I think it still is "right"!
It still left St.Louis as an LT-! optioned car.
What matters is how much of what made it an LT-! beside the cylinder case is still there.
No, it doesn't still have the original cylinder case, but that only matters when the engine is being judged for originality, and when a value for the car is being determined.
99 out 100 people at a car show won't know the difference, or care a single bit.
Many high-performance engines lost their cylinder cases… for me that fact in no way puts them in the category with counterfiet cars that have been to appear to have their original engines.
Regards,
Alan
Thank you for that.
There is no doubt it is an LT-1.

Every piece is there, except the block.....
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The car was purchased new and it had a warranty repair. And, per GM requirements, it was repaired to "like new" condition with all the correct parts, yadda, yadda...

In that day, no one cared that it had a 'service' block. As long as it had all the correct factory parts and set-up, it was what it was.

Decades later, there is a prevalent belief that having ONLY the parts that originally came from the factory is justification for asking a much higher asking price for the car than if it has 'exact replacement' parts. Many folks think this is due to NCRS expectations. But, in reality, NCRS only cares if the parts LOOK like they came from the factory. That's what they judge on (as they have professed in this Forum many, many times).

So, from my point of view, you have exactly what you thought you owned: an original LT-1 car and drivetrain, the latter of which has been PROPERLY repaired and serviced by a GM associated dealership. In my book, that's "the real thing"....regardless of what others might think.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The car was purchased new and it had a warranty repair. And, per GM requirements, it was repaired to "like new" condition with all the correct parts, yadda, yadda...

In that day, no one cared that it had a 'service' block. As long as it had all the correct factory parts and set-up, it was what it was.

Decades later, there is a prevalent belief that having ONLY the parts that originally came from the factory is justification for asking a much higher asking price for the car than if it has 'exact replacement' parts. Many folks think this is due to NCRS expectations. But, in reality, NCRS only cares if the parts LOOK like they came from the factory. That's what they judge on (as they have professed in this Forum many, many times).

So, from my point of view, you have exactly what you thought you owned: an original LT-1 car and drivetrain, the latter of which has been PROPERLY repaired and serviced by a GM associated dealership. In my book, that's "the real thing"....regardless of what others might think.

a MUCH better version of what I tried to say earlier

Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 PM
TMan59
8th Gear

That is possibly the best opinion I have heard.

Picture this, The fellow is just loving the car. All I keep hearing is "wow, thats correct. The windshield has the asi in the upper passenger side. Asto ventilation on the windows. I can't believe this is the car I have been looking for!" (I am thinking negotiations will be easy on my part lets just say). He keeps going on and on.
Then I hand him the notebook, and bam, somehow he turns right to to a page that reveals the block exchange.

Deal over.

I guess I would rather know now then have someone else, like him, feel the way I did at that moment.
I will re-advertise the car as presented, asking a bit less though.

Thanks for all your input, just had a real bad day yesterday.
And most people don't really understand someone whining about not having the correct block in their Corvette. Somehow to the average person, it sounds kind of petty.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:52 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

And most people don't really understand someone whining about not having the correct block in their Corvette. Somehow to the average person, it sounds kind of petty.
TMan, I do not think that that car is for the average person, and probably neither is your asking price. I still think your market is for the NCRS-type if the rest is as original as you say it is. Many on that side of the hobby have to really work to get the car in that condition. Many points could be gained on your car by getting an engine block with the "correct" date. My '69 happens to have an August 21st, 1970 cast block in it.

7T1vette is right: NCRS only considers if the part "looks" original. Of course, this includes typical date codes and casting numbers. This means what it looks like when it left the factory, not after parts are replaced through warranty.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:43 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

I never agreed with those who are quick to assert the car is no longer an LT1, LS5, LS6, .... once the original engine block is gone. The way some are very quick to bash a NOM gets old, petty.

If the configuration of the car matches the specifications from the AIM for a particular option code, it is very much real, just not original. We could argue over whether the car is now a tribute (or clone). In this case having the documentation showing the block was replaced under warranty is something few others have, takes the car out of the 'clone' category. I agree it probably won't get the same price as an original, originals fetching a higher price because there are fewer of them around.

Sounds like a great driver, original LT1 car with a replacement block. Indistinguishable from one with the original block so far as appearance and performance go. Only the purists or those more concerned with what's it worth would notice or care about the replacement block.

IF NCRS judging is a goal, find a block with the correct casting number and date code which falls within the 6 months prior to the car being assembled. The deduction for irregular stamp pad is minor.

Price the car a bit below an original, see what offers you get.

Get notified of new replies

To Kicked in the gut...

Old 05-06-2014, 10:14 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

How many cars are absolutely factory correct with what they left the factory back in 1970? Same fan belts? Same clutch? Stuff wears out and gets replaced. Alternators, water pumps, thermostats, clutches and even engines.

Sure, I could see the judging being very particular and if the engine block doesn't match, then deduct it. But if everything else is faithful to a fault, why kick the owner in the behind, value wise for the block being replaced?

Eventually, if any miles are put on the car, nearly everything is going to be replaced or repaired at one point or another (ask me, I know!). If the goal is to have a car that has less than five miles and still has the original tires on it, never to be driven, then I guess money and collectability are a more important precedent then joy of ownership and being able to drive it.

These cars must be a hoot to drive, but if driving them, means that you're stressing about what kind of wear and tear you might be inflicting on it, what does that say about the ownership experience?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I hand him a big ole book of past titles and info.

There, right there, in the middle of all this "stuff" it says "Second owner had block replaced under warranty. Bad cylinder bore causing use of oil".

You got to be kiddin me.

Yes it is stamped, just like factory.

Further we find a signed letter from the second owner saying it was a GM warranty replacement in 72.
These bits of paper will do you far more good than you think. It more or less confirms that the car actually had a 'real' GM replacement engine under warranty and that the engine under your hood now would actually be an LT!.

The vast majority of cars we see with CE engines have no documentation meaning that the engine could have come from a baffed out taxi or grannies station wagon.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 AM
1977L48
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick Reply: Kicked in the gut...