Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the soft top window?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:52 PM
CAN-AM69
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the soft top window?

We have the soft top up and latched in place but the rear window is about the color of lightly brewed tea. Is there a way to clean the plastic? I haven't tried it but I wonder if a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would do anything...

Any ideas that might help?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:09 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I use the Novus plastic polishing kit on all of my convertible windows.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:32 PM
CAN-AM69
Racer

Originally Posted by rcread
I use the Novus plastic polishing kit on all of my convertible windows.
Thank you. Does it take out the yellowing from age? Also, where can I find a kit?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by CAN-AM69
Thank you. Does it take out the yellowing from age? Also, where can I find a kit?
The Novus 1 should clean the oxidation off, which is what is causes the yellowing. My TR6's rear window was discolored and after using this on the inside and outside, it came back to clear. I bought it on Amazon.com,
here here
, but I bet you could find it at most auto parts stores.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:34 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I use Ragtop, but it's too keep it nice.

http://www.wolfsteins.com/viewproduct.php?productid=83
Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 PM
CAN-AM69
Racer

Originally Posted by rcread
The Novus 1 should clean the oxidation off, which is what is causes the yellowing. My TR6's rear window was discolored and after using this on the inside and outside, it came back to clear. I bought it on Amazon.com, here, but I bet you could find it at most auto parts stores.
Thank you so much! I would love to be able to save the window. I looked up their website and tried to call to locate a dealer or store but no one answered, I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 PM
CAN-AM69
Racer

Originally Posted by ddawson
I use Ragtop, but it's too keep it nice.

http://www.wolfsteins.com/viewproduct.php?productid=83
I'll check your link, thank you.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

At some time, you have to throw in the rag. Had my original soft top replaced by Al Knoch. Replacement was a virtual duplicate of the factory. The original soft top frame had not been exactly installed at the factory. Al's installers adjusted the soft top frame...it's something I don't think I could have done. This was all done at one of Al's visits to Pomona, California (Fairplex) My rear window on the original top was so fogged, I just cut it out with a razor blade to safely drive to Pomona. To bad, these tops were designed before convertible tops were designed to use real glass.

FYI: To remove an old soft top, Al's first line approach is just to razor blade them off. When I said it was an original May 1968 Convertible soft top, the top was painstakingly removed. This increased the time to replace my top!! It was removed as to destroy as little as necessary (not withstanding that I had already razor bladed out the plastic rear window). Al said it would be documented for his business with the NCRS people. For example, if someone said his tops didn't have the correct factory stitching, he could show photographs from my top, etc.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 AM
CAN-AM69
Racer

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
At some time, you have to throw in the rag. Had my original soft top replaced by Al Knoch. Replacement was a virtual duplicate of the factory. The original soft top frame had not been exactly installed at the factory. Al's installers adjusted the soft top frame...it's something I don't think I could have done. This was all done at one of Al's visits to Pomona, California (Fairplex) My rear window on the original top was so fogged, I just cut it out with a razor blade to safely drive to Pomona. To bad, these tops were designed before convertible tops were designed to use real glass.

FYI: To remove an old soft top, Al's first line approach is just to razor blade them off. When I said it was an original May 1968 Convertible soft top, the top was painstakingly removed. This increased the time to replace my top!! It was removed as to destroy as little as necessary (not withstanding that I had already razor bladed out the plastic rear window). Al said it would be documented for his business with the NCRS people. For example, if someone said his tops didn't have the correct factory stitching, he could show photographs from my top, etc.
Thank you. If we decide to keep our car replacing the soft top might become an option but, at this point, we aren't sure. So we're just going to do what needs done and keep it as original and nice as possible for now. The former owner told us he never had the top up, and we probably won't either, but it should still look as nice as it can. The top itself is in pretty good shape, we were surprised at how good it looked when we put it up for the first time after we bought it.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:06 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

You can try white wall tire cleaner on the white canvas itself. Might be able to get it to come back to a closer shade of white.

Is that the original dated top? Check the rear window for date code. If it is the original top and it is not too badly worn, I would consider leaving it on the car.

My 63 still has its original top, it has a few holes in the vinyl that I will eventually have someone try to fix, but the top fits like a glove and I barely have the car out of the garage in weather that the top would be needed.

Gary
Old 04-24-2014, 03:34 PM
CAN-AM69
Racer

Originally Posted by exposingtime
You can try white wall tire cleaner on the white canvas itself. Might be able to get it to come back to a closer shade of white.

Is that the original dated top? Check the rear window for date code. If it is the original top and it is not too badly worn, I would consider leaving it on the car.

My 63 still has its original top, it has a few holes in the vinyl that I will eventually have someone try to fix, but the top fits like a glove and I barely have the car out of the garage in weather that the top would be needed.

Gary
I think it is, Gary, but the picture I took of mine isn't very clear. I can make out pretty much everything except the date stamp. Do you have a picture of what the stamped information looks like in the plastic window? Here's a picture of the stamp in mine, I had to darken it up to read the stamp but I can't make it all out.

Last edited by CAN-AM69; 04-24-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi CA,
Here's a picture of the stamped information from an original 69 convertible top rear window.
Regards,
Alan

1… January
69… 1969
Old 04-24-2014, 05:12 PM
CAN-AM69
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi CA,
Here's a picture of the stamped information from an original 69 convertible top rear window.
Regards,
Alan

1… January
69… 1969
Thank you Alan. It looks like mine is original but I can't make out the date code, I'll check it tomorrow when I go 'visit' the car again. We're sooo close to bringing it home
Old 04-25-2014, 07:09 PM
CAN-AM69
Racer

Checked the date code in the soft top window today and it is 369 so March of '69.....it's the original top.

I also bought the Novus cleaner kit (bought it at the Harley dealership) and took it to the detail shop. I could see it was taking some off but I don't have much strength so Kevin is going to finish it for me, he couldn't believe it was removing anything from the surface after he had already tried.

We also dropped the hard top off at the upholstery shop to have the new vinyl installed and that should be done next week. I always wondered why the vinyl was missing since the tank sticker said it came with it but we found out today, you could actually see an edge of black vinyl next to the trim where the former owner simply cut the vinyl off of the hard top. Hopefully it will look like new when we pick it up next week.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning the soft top window?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning the soft top window?