Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68-72 Baldwin-Motion Type Hood- Value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:57 AM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 68-72 Baldwin-Motion Type Hood- Value?

I have one of these that I picked up probably 10 years ago in Cali. It is in ok shape but needs some resto work on the fragile corners and of course paint. I have pretty much decided not to use it and want to sell it to help pay off some student loan debts, but I have no idea what it is worth. I am having a little trouble finding them online.

I will have to look closely to see if it is a true BM mold or a modified stinger+highrise hood, as I cannot remember, but I do know it is 'functional' in regards to airflow being allowed through the opening into the engine compartment.

I don't have any pics but will get some later tonight. The pic I am attaching is what it looks like. Any ideas on it's value?
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what an original Motion hood looks like.

This is what a repro made by a company in California looks like

This is what a new Motion hood made from the old mold looks like

If you have the first, around $5k. If you have the second (turn it over to see if the bb/LT1 trim indents have been filled in) around $900. The third can be bought new for $1500.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:16 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Wow, that is very good information.

Mine looks most like the 1st one, and nothing like the second, and similar to the 3rd.

Mine does look quite old, but it could just be neglect before I acquired it, not age.

It really astounds me how I cannot remember where I got it. It had to be off of craigslist or something, but I know I lived in San Diego and either bought it there or had it shipped. Crazy how it has slipped my memory, and I wish I could remember.

At $1000-5000 it seems that either way it is more valuable than I assumed. I am glad I asked and again, thanks for the information. I will look for those fill-ins tonight.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:21 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Here is mine. Not really sure which it is. Maybe a custom modded one?
Attached Images     

Last edited by corvettecris; 04-22-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:16 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I sold one that had the indents but was a little nicer than your hood for $250 to a forum member.
Mark
Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

There aren't any visible marks where the indents were filled in yet there's a lot of mud (body filler) on the inside. It's not like any I've ever seen before. It could be a very early Motion hood or something someone cobbled together. I'm going to punt on this one.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

So PR, you are saying the one with the "indents" meaning the section that looks like a 68-72 BB/LT1 hood, is the repro? Id never seen that before- recently a new member posted a pic of his orange car and he had one. I noted Id hadnt seen the "stock" looking indents before.

Good info!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:06 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by parkerracing
There aren't any visible marks where the indents were filled in yet there's a lot of mud (body filler) on the inside. It's not like any I've ever seen before. It could be a very early Motion hood or something someone cobbled together. I'm going to punt on this one.
There is a lot of debris. A good bit of it is some kind of paint flaking away. There is also a good bit of glass and fiber, as you say. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:03 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
So PR, you are saying the one with the "indents" meaning the section that looks like a 68-72 BB/LT1 hood, is the repro? Id never seen that before- recently a new member posted a pic of his orange car and he had one. I noted Id hadnt seen the "stock" looking indents before.

Good info!
Yes, when you turn it over and it looks like it was molded that way it was a company in Calif. who's name I can't recall. Some people filled them in but you still see the "lumps" underneath.

Last edited by parkerracing; 04-23-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an original hood, who knows what it is worth...there is a guy making real nice ones, which parkerracing has posted, it is made off original molds, I think he gets $1500 or so for them

Also how can you not remember where you go it? it is a hood, not a nut or a bolt.....lol
Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

I guess like a lot of this stuff it is worth what the buyer is willing to spend.

Thanks again everyone for the comments. It really seems like there is no real clear answer.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:42 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BOSTONCAMARO
I have an original hood, who knows what it is worth...there is a guy making real nice ones, which parkerracing has posted, it is made off original molds, I think he gets $1500 or so for them

Also how can you not remember where you go it? it is a hood, not a nut or a bolt.....lol
I guess you are better than me at remembering. I have had 3 corvettes and many various aftermarket parts in my possession. Just can't remember but I know I lived in Cali when I bought it.

Get notified of new replies

To 68-72 Baldwin-Motion Type Hood- Value?

Quick Reply: 68-72 Baldwin-Motion Type Hood- Value?