Sponsored by:

Original or Modify?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:48 PM
82C3C.E.
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original or Modify?

Recently my husband and I acquired a 1982 Collectors Edition. I have already posted the story of how we got it on the other thread so I won't tell the story here again. Now, I know this car was not highly sought after because of the cross fire engine. However, over the last week there have been several discussions on whether to keep it all original or go ahead and modify it.
I would like to ask you how important it is to keep something all original, or would tasteful modifications such as LED lights, better stereo, updated carpet, matter much? Of course my husband and I have differing opinions so we will be watching the answers closely
Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The value of a CE is in stock condition. That said, the car belongs to the two of you and you two will have to decide what to do with it.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:01 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Modify it so it can be put back to original later on if desired, and hang on to the original parts.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

tastefully modify it, save all the old parts.

If I had to choose regarding a nice stereo with modern attributes vs. a old am-fm radio, I would choose the new stereo and risk the few hundred hit on the car's value.

but if you go cutting body panels and changing out the engine, then you are getting into taking a few thousands hit.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE80
Modify it so it can be put back to original later on if desired, and hang on to the original parts.

I WISH that I could restore my Bubbarized '68 convertible!

If your car is ORIGINAL, please don't change anything that involves tools with blades/teeth on them.

Keep the mods simple/easy to undo if you ever sell it....................

or buy another car that has seen better days....then make it your dream-car!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by 82C3C.E.
Recently my husband and I acquired a 1982 Collectors Edition. I have already posted the story of how we got it on the other thread so I won't tell the story here again. Now, I know this car was not highly sought after because of the cross fire engine. However, over the last week there have been several discussions on whether to keep it all original or go ahead and modify it.
I would like to ask you how important it is to keep something all original, or would tasteful modifications such as LED lights, better stereo, updated carpet, matter much? Of course my husband and I have differing opinions so we will be watching the answers closely
It depends what you mean by "modify." A better stereo is fine as long you dont cut up the dash or start fundamentally messing with the interior. Lots of people make remote stereo changes without disturbing much. I dont know what "updating" carpet means. Not sure why you wouldnt just restore the carpet to stock from the long list of parts houses. I imagine LED lights can be easily removed.

A CE is very visually identifyable and if you mess with the interior or body design those could be problematic. All "modifications" are not the same in this discussion.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

I restored my 78 to all stock. I couldn't keep up with my friends. Remember back in the 80's speed limit was 55. Now the speed is 70 mph we drive at 80 mph.. My L-82 went ballistic on the turnpike. Now I drive the Hot Rod Power Tour every year. GM create ZZ4 TKO 5 speed tranny. Changed gears to 308. I tack 1800 rpm's @ 70 mph. I've got over 60.000 miles on my new create engine. If you want to drive and enjoy that Vette modify it. If you want to just look at it. Leave it stock. It all dispensed on how much $$$$$$$$$$$$ you have. Now if you want NCRS Top Flight. you will need this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
=];-}>
Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 PM
82C3C.E.
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
It depends what you mean by "modify." A better stereo is fine as long you dont cut up the dash or start fundamentally messing with the interior. Lots of people make remote stereo changes without disturbing much. I dont know what "updating" carpet means. Not sure why you wouldnt just restore the carpet to stock from the long list of parts houses. I imagine LED lights can be easily removed.

A CE is very visually identifyable and if you mess with the interior or body design those could be problematic. All "modifications" are not the same in this discussion.
I wanted a newer/ better stereo but looking at doing the remote radio would work just fine. Husband wants new exhaust, doubt that would be an issue really. LEDs can be easily changed,but are not a necessity just like how bright they are. The car we have is definitely a restoration project, and you are right- The CE is definitely visually different from the rest.

Thanks for your input everyone! Hopefully we will be on here quite often as the search for all interior parts begins now that we have her running. When we get discouraged we will be checking out the pictures for motivation!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by 82C3C.E.
I wanted a newer/ better stereo but looking at doing the remote radio would work just fine. Husband wants new exhaust, doubt that would be an issue really. LEDs can be easily changed,but are not a necessity just like how bright they are. The car we have is definitely a restoration project, and you are right- The CE is definitely visually different from the rest.

Thanks for your input everyone! Hopefully we will be on here quite often as the search for all interior parts begins now that we have her running. When we get discouraged we will be checking out the pictures for motivation!
Please use this same thread for updates on your great project.

You can ask a Moderator to incorporate your initial explanation (the other thread about the car's history) into the 1st post of this thread, if you like)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

If it is a nice original CE, Even I would be careful of what mods I would do to it. The CE is a very identifiable and unique from all the late C-3s. Even the wheels are different and I don't think there were many of them made. I would add the stereo and all the obvious mechanicals that it needs to be a reliable car and leave the rest alone. Just my .02
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Lets see some pictures of this '82
Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Modify it as much as you want. its just a car.

Enjoy it.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by doorgunner
...Please use this same thread for updates...
Why? There is no actual need for that.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 04-22-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Everything I'm doing to mine to modify it is all reversible. My 76 was all original when I got it so when I hand it down to my Son I want him to be able to put it back to stock if he chooses.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 AM
82C3C.E.
7th Gear

Originally Posted by qwank
Lets see some pictures of this '82
How Many would you like? Let me see if I can post one the right way first....
Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM
persuader
Drifting

Nice! I would love to get my hands on a set of those wheels for mine.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 AM
82C3C.E.
7th Gear

Now don't be fooled by the picture above, pictures don't always tell the whole story. Here are some better close ups.

That should help give a better idea of the shape of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Original or Modify?

Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I would bring that car back to stock appearance inside and out. Then I would take out that engine and trans and store it. And I would put a killer 383 into it. That way you can always change it back when you sell it.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 PM
persuader
Drifting

Sure does need a lot of work. I would restore it back to original. If it were any other 80-82 I would modify the heck out of it.:thumbs
BTW As far as the CE not being sought after. I think you are wrong. I see these come up for sale every now and then and I see them selling for more than the regular garden variety 80-82. I myself have always liked them and a CE was my second choice when I started to consider my first vette. First choice being any 75-77 because of all the mods that I have in mind which I would not do to a CE. I would have to keep it at least stock looking thus choice two.

Last edited by persuader; 04-22-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I had a CE for about 5 years and enjoyed it very much. You can get new CE leather seats on foam as well as new door panels, carpeting, pretty much everything you need from Al Knoch Interiors. http://alknochinteriors.com/2013/

There is also someone (I can't remember his name) that restores CE steering wheels.....hopefully someone will chime in with his name.

A few pics of my CE and what you can make yours look like....take on projects one at a time. Each time one is finished you will feel so good about it that it will motivate you for the next one.

Anyway welcome to the corvette insanity and best of luck with your new ride.

Quick Reply: Original or Modify?