C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 newbie question: Service Parts Identification label?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:50 PM
phoneman91
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Default C3 newbie question: Service Parts Identification label?

I don't own a C3. But do have a C5.

I am going to look at a low mileage 74 . Did the General place "Service Parts Identification/SPID " labels on 1974 C3s? This label would list all of the RPOs installed on the C3 at the factory. If so-where should the SPID label be located?

I want to be able to identify all factory options on this C3 that I will be taking a look at in the near future. And I don't want to have to drop the gas tank. Or fish it out.

I know that GM trucks had these SPID labels back in the late 60's and 70's located on the inside of the glove box door.I have checked on the internet and it seems that most people say that the SPID labels started in MY1984 for the Corvette. But I want to make sure that there isn't a way to tell what factory options were originally installed at the factory. And I find it hard to believe that GM trucks have these SPIDs-but C3s didn't of the same vintage.

If there is no way to determine original RPOs-how does one determine if a C3 has FE7 or Z07 RPO? I have read from some sources that these options will have a rear stabilizer bar and other sources say that only the big blocks have the rear bar.

Last edited by phoneman91; 04-20-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi P91,
To get you started.. no SPID label on 74 cars.
Original options can be determined by the Corvette Order Copy which was a multi-part form. One page was glued to the top of the gas tank and sometimes another page put behind the dash.
There may also be some option information on the Protect-O- Plate that was part of the warranty information and placed in the owner's packet.
Identifying original equipment on 68+ cars continues to be a puzzle for owners and a big business for some entrepreneurs.
Hopefully someone more familiar with 74 cars will pipe up.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by phoneman91
...I am going to look at a low mileage 74 . Did the General place "Service Parts Identification/SPID " labels on 1974 C3s?...
No.

... I want to be able to identify all factory options on this C3 that I will be taking a look at in the near future....
Take a copy of The Corvette Black Book with you and ask the seller for any factory documentation he/she may have.

...I want to make sure that there isn't a way to tell what factory options were originally installed at the factory...
You will need factory documentation with the car.

This may be of interest. It's reasonably good:

This is also good:

Do you have a friend who knows C3s? Might be a good idea to take him/her along with you when you go to see the 74.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Only the big block, got a rear bar in 74. Gymkhana Suspension (FE7) was introduced in 74, but it did not include the rear bar. The rear bar became part of the Gymkhana Suspension, in 1975. FE7 used a slightly larger diameter front spring, and I think the 7 leaf rear spring (as opposed to the standard suspension's 9 leaf spring).

LS4 (454) Z07's got the rear bar, but I'm not sure about the L-82 powered ones. Z07 was not available with the base L-48 engine, it could only be ordered with the LS4 and L-82. It also required the M21 close ratio 4 speed. The Z07 also used the unique J56 two pin brake calipers, and front caliper bracket reinforcements.

Of the 37,000+ 74's built, only about 1,900 had FE7, and 47 were Z07's, so the odds of coming across either, are pretty slim.

As far as the SPI labels, 1984 was the first year that they were used on cars. Trucks had been using them since the 60's, but this may have had something to do with the nature of how trucks were used, and the fact that trucks didn't come with window stickers.

Cars have been required to have window stickers, since the late 50's, but trucks didn't start getting them until 1978. I had 2 new El Camino's, a 71 and a 77, and neither of them had window stickers. Even El Camainos were classified as "trucks", for purposes of window stickers. Unlike today, trucks use to be work vehicles, and it was often important for owners and dealers to identify spring rates, rear gears, engine size, trans, etc., when "up fitting" a truck or towing. The SPI label was the only way to do this.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 newbie question: Service Parts Identification label?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 newbie question: Service Parts Identification label?