C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheels sitting different in wheel wells?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:20 PM
doublearrow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wheels sitting different in wheel wells?

More questions about my 75. Getting ready to remove the old engine i found a hairline crack in the front crossmember. After asking and searching the forum ive found out its common to crack in this area. In fact i found several pictures that had just the one single crack in the exact same spot on my car.
This got me looking at every piece of frame i can find get to on the cat looking for other issues indicating a wreck.
Even after owning the car as long as i have ive never noticed it, but the passenger side front wheel sets a 1/2" further back in the wheel well than the drivers side. And by further back i mean the wheel sets closer towards the back of the car or appears to. I measured center to center of the wheels on each side and get 98" which seems to be correct.
Can the body be sitting this out of whack on the frame? Or has the car been wrecked and i cant find the damage? Is there something else that could cause this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by doublearrow; 04-20-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:18 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

I have fiberglass fenders on my '34 streetrod truck......NEVER been wrecked........

but one fender well opening came from the factory nearly 3/4" farther back than the other fender(well) opening.

I didn't notice it until I installed the fenders!

So hopefully your car frame isn't damaged.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:48 PM
russianhomie119
Advanced

check the control arms for possible damage, maybe?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 AM
doublearrow
Racer

No damage I can see with the old engine in the car. Looks to be all new vbp parts. I've had the car several years and the po had it for several years and put nearly no miles on the car. It's embarrassing I've just now noticed this.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by doublearrow
More questions about my 75. Getting ready to remove the old engine i found a hairline crack in the front crossmember. After asking and searching the forum ive found out its common to crack in this area. In fact i found several pictures that had just the one single crack in the exact same spot on my car.
This got me looking at every piece of frame i can find get to on the cat looking for other issues indicating a wreck.
Even after owning the car as long as i have ive never noticed it, but the passenger side front wheel sets a 1/2" further back in the wheel well than the drivers side. And by further back i mean the wheel sets closer towards the back of the car or appears to. I measured center to center of the wheels on each side and get 98" which seems to be correct.
Can the body be sitting this out of whack on the frame? Or has the car been wrecked and i cant find the damage? Is there something else that could cause this? Thanks in advance for any help.
Measuring wheel to wheel is very difficult. A slight turn in a wheel will make the Center line measurement off. And it is possible 2 wrongs make a right, meaning you can read 98" both sides. I would measure from the front ball joints back to the rear frame holes just in front of the rear wheels on the frame. This will tell you if the wheel position is the same on both sides. Then its possible the front fenders are mounted offset on the frame.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:12 AM
doublearrow
Racer

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Measuring wheel to wheel is very difficult. A slight turn in a wheel will make the Center line measurement off. And it is possible 2 wrongs make a right, meaning you can read 98" both sides. I would measure from the front ball joints back to the rear frame holes just in front of the rear wheels on the frame. This will tell you if the wheel position is the same on both sides. Then its possible the front fenders are mounted offset on the frame.
Thanks for the information. It will be a few days, but I will pull get the car jacked up to take those measurements.
Is a bent frame a death wish for the car? The new engine is a 383 around 430 horsepower with some decent torque. The car itself is in decent enough condition and it seems two owners ago dumped a big amount of amount of money into the car. It was just never driven afterwards. I haven't been able to find if the frame can be straightened with the body on the car. And as of right now there are no body gaps or lines that are out of whack. And the frame has no rust that I can find. Here's a shot of the passenger side wheel that sits further towards the back.

Get notified of new replies

To wheels sitting different in wheel wells?

Quick Reply: wheels sitting different in wheel wells?