Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 factory alarm ,what would you do.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 PM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 73 factory alarm ,what would you do.

Hello, I am a new owner of a 73 matching numbers vert L82 4 speed and have a question about my absent alarm. A little back ground first. The car is in very good condition ,good frame and cage and just some surface rust in the usual places. What drew me to the car is that it was just what I have been looking for for a year and finally found it in my back yard so to speak (2 hours away) . It has p/s and p/b and that is it , like I said just what I wanted. The shut lines on the car are very straight, it has had a color change (10 yrs ago) from blue/green to mm red which is fine with me. It was done very well, there is no spidering or cracking in the paint . the car looks all stock on the outside and inside, the grills are black and I know they should be chrome tipped. the engine has after market air cleaner and chrome valve covers, the ignition shielding is missing. So I said all that to say this, the rear tail panel does not have an alarm switch so I assume it was replaced or patched over , more than likely replaced due to accident damage sometime in it's long past, maybe when the color change took place , just don't know. My question is if you were me would you install a switch even if I may never hook up the alarm , just for appearance sake or just forgetabout it and enjoy the car without it . If I did install the switch what would be the best way to cut the hole to avoid cracking the paint. I know it is up to me but I value this forum members opinions and would like your thoughts. I will post pics of the car as soon as I get it home from San Diego (suspension work). Thanks for any and all responses.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Welcome to the 73 club! Post some pics when you can.
If you want it to "look" stock, install the alarm switch. Plus you can come up with clever responses to people when they ask you to "open the trunk".
In the end, it is your car, do what you want with it. We here just offer opinions and advice.
Fran
Old 04-20-2014, 08:30 PM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

there are alarm shops out there. my thought on my 69, which has all the alarm stuff just no switch is to get an alarm system installed that wiil work with all the original switches and can be activated via a key fob. just for added security. T
Old 04-20-2014, 08:48 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

If you want the car to look correct install it. For security reasons leave it. Factory alarm is very easy to disable on any C3

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-20-2014, 11:26 PM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by spedaleden
If you want the car to look correct install it. For security reasons leave it. Factory alarm is very easy to disable on any C3

Just my 2 cents
Thanks for the response, I think I will install it.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:40 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

My 70 has the alarm switch in the rear panel (between the tail lights). However for later years, the switch was moved to the drivers side front quarter panel..that's what I think.

My 70's alarm circuitry had been buggered. I couldn't figure out exactly how it had been modified. So I replaced the entire alarm harness...my god, what an involved job. The alarm harness starts in the back rear panel (on the 70) and proceeds forward. It has branches to the floor jack compartment for some relays there. It then proceeds forward to route wires to the door open switches, and then another wire proceeds forward to the hood for a switch that detects the hood is open. Took me an unusually long time to replace that harness. Had to buy new door open switches...they came with metric threads ...wouldn't screw into the door jambs,,,,,,,I was able to come up with some with english threads. Very tedious.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I would not bother. Have you ever heard these alarms go off? They would make any thief laugh, they sound like the horn from a 99 Hyundai.
Interesting the paint history on your 73. Mine went from green to blue and then to red... Looks like those were popular changes!

Get notified of new replies

To 73 factory alarm ,what would you do.

Quick Reply: 73 factory alarm ,what would you do.