C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fate of 1975 Mulsanne show Corvette? Was it ever sold outside GM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 PM
HistoryBuff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fate of 1975 Mulsanne show Corvette? Was it ever sold outside GM?

It seems to be this once silver show car might not have been special enough for GM Styling to keep once Bill Mitchell retired. It had a lift off top but seems to me the two halves might have been connected so it came off in one piece like Mako Shark II. Here's a picture of it GM is selling
http://www.gmphotostore.com/1975-Che...info/53219153/

Now I also remember when it was red and had another name like Aerovette. I could be wrong, according to other listings on CF maybe it was red first and the more tasteful silver inside-and-out livery later

http://www.sun-n-fun-vettes.com/Sun_..._Pace_Car.html

http://www.corvettes.nl/gm_prototype...nne/index.html

It also had the mag wheels that were imitation wire wheels (supposedly designed by Larry Shinoda for Chaparral team). When Mitchell was using it a a driver and it was red, it had gold pin striping. Mitchell was big on red cars with gold striping for his own personal cars which leads me to suspect this might have been his personal collection. What I want to know is, was it ever sold outside GM and does anyone remember the price (maybe there was a classified ad?_)
Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

G'day HistoryBuff,
Can't seem to get the two lower links to work.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:42 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It has the same hood and wheels as his 76.
Maybe they are the same car.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:29 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Though this car does share some of the styling cues, of the Mulsanne, there are a lot of differences too.

To start with, the wheels on the car look to be the old Appliance Wire Mags, from the 70's. The Aero Coupe/Scirocco/Mulsanne used custom cast aluminum wheels, similar to those found on Jim Hall's Chaparral race cars. The front spoiler on the Mulsanne was molded in, not a bolt on Pace Car spoiler, and the Mulsanne had side pipes.

The biggest difference I see though, is the windshield. The Mulsanne had a unique windshield and frame, that curved up into the roof. The the roof itself, was a single piece, with a center mounted rear view "periscope" molded into it. The Mulsanne also features small racing mirrors, mounted high on the windshield A-pillars. The unique windshield and one piece roof, had been features of the car, since it had first been built in 1969, as the Aero Coupe. The periscope was added to the roof, when it became the Scirocco around 70-71. I can't believe that GM would have gone to the trouble of replacing the Mulsanne's windshield and one piece top, with a production windshield and 2 piece t-tops, for that car in 76???

Originally Posted by bruiser
It has the same hood and wheels as his 76.
Maybe they are the same car.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I don't know what may have happened to the Mulsanne, but it was probably not sold outside of GM due to liability reasons.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
To start with, the wheels on the car look to be the old Appliance Wire Mags, from the 70's. The Aero Coupe/Scirocco/Mulsanne used custom cast aluminum wheels, similar to those found on Jim Hall's Chaparral race cars.
I'm going to correct myself on this point.

After looking at the picture more closely, the wheels on the 76 Mitchell Corvette, are the same wheels that were used on the Mulsanne. Though those wheels were hardly unique to the Mulsanne. Bill Mitchell appeared to be quite fond of that particular wheel, as they found their way onto many Chevrolet concept cars. The Astro II, the Mako Shark I, the mid 70's Camaro Berlinetta show car, and the 67 Cherokee Camaro, all used the same or similar wheels.

As a side note, the Cherokee Camaro, like the Mulsanne, also served as a pace car for SCCA Can-Am races.

Get notified of new replies

To Fate of 1975 Mulsanne show Corvette? Was it ever sold outside GM?

Quick Reply: Fate of 1975 Mulsanne show Corvette? Was it ever sold outside GM?