Sponsored by:

Backup/stop lights.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:17 AM
James Granger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup/stop lights.

My car has the bubble tail light conversion kit, however. It has the old backup light socket still in it. So all four of my lights do not come on. (Not sure why the previous owner did this) is there any way to splits the original socket to light up with the brake/turn signal rather than to just come on in reverse? Thank you so much! I did try the search and maybe I missed it but I could not find an answer to this problem, all replies are much appreciated.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:03 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I am building a 71 coupe, and I decided I wanted four stop--tail--turn signals, and move the reverse lights to another location.
What I found is the light buckets for the tail lights and reverse lights are different. Since the socket is an integral part of the buckets, it`s not just a simple matter of swapping sockets. I had to remove the inner buckets, and replace them with two new tail light buckets. And the mounting studs are different also, so I had to drill a couple new holes to get the tail light buckets into the reverse light locations.
I moved the wires for the reverse lights, and tapped into the tail-stop light wires to run to the innermost sockets.
I like the look, and have yet to figure out my reverse lights, but I think it was worth the effort.
I hope this info helps you.

Last edited by oldgto; 04-20-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I removed the backup sockets and taped them up and just split off the other socket to have all four act as turn/brake lights. Did that about 30 years ago but just recently did the bubble lenses.

The rubber bumper lights are the same i believe for the sockets, will look at the box of lenses when i go out to the garage.

Last edited by Mod75; 04-20-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check the stop light switch; it may need adjustment/replacement. Backup lamps are on a different circuit.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:22 AM
James Granger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay gentlemen, so all I need to do is splice the wires from the backup socket to the stop/turn signal socket? My bubble light lenses are already installed.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:11 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

I don`t know about yours, but on my 71, the reverse light socket is a single pin, so only one light will work, either the tail, the turn or stop light, depending on which wire you connect. The tail-turn-stop sockets are two pin sockets. This is why I had to replace the buckets in order to get them to function with a two pin bulb.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:56 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I have four stop lights on my 70. I really don't like GM going from 4 stop lights to two...4 stop lights for the 68's and two for the 69 and up's.

For my 70, I have installed a repro 68 rear harness. I also have had a body shop mold the 68 reverse lights into the rear exhaust valance. So, I have a 68 style brake lights and reverse lights.

People who Corvettes will think it's a 68 from the back until they see the 70 louvers on the front quarter panels!!!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:03 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

I've been thinking of doing this as well. What I'm thinking is getting late model Camaro backup light setup to install under the bumpers like the '68's if I go with backup light at all. My car is registered vintage so there is no annual inspection I have to go thorough so I don't need BU lights (unless I want to register it regular). Then just get the proper sockets and lens to change out the exsiting backup light setup on my '71.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:08 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Originally Posted by theandies
I've been thinking of doing this as well. What I'm thinking is getting late model Camaro backup light setup to install under the bumpers like the '68's if I go with backup light at all.
This guy did an AWESOME job, using white LED lights fixed to the license plate housing.... I`m thinking of something very similar.

Get notified of new replies

To Backup/stop lights.

Quick Reply: Backup/stop lights.