Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Once upon a Carburetor Rebuild Story!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow paul that is a great looking carb and story. Thanks for sharing. It does appear I need to allow room for compromise. Alan's comment really woke me up. I have a lot of time to think things over.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Wow paul that is a great looking carb and story. Thanks for sharing. It does appear I need to allow room for compromise. Alan's comment really woke me up. I have a lot of time to think things over.
I was a little hard on you above re the pitting although it was a bit excessive. I just wanted to show you that rebuilders can go too far in the other direction with the bling. The one who did that cadmium or whatever "job" (four years ago) is in Western Canada and shall remain nameless. All bling and no guts as Lars proved. I'll install that carb this week. I do wish you good luck. I admire your tenacity in getting things NCRS right.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could give this shop a try. I have had a couple of 780 Holley's restored by them and have been really pleased. They are in Jacksonville, Fl.http://www.allamericancarburetor.com/

Last edited by R1234; 04-21-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 PM
harris1507
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc, I know you are into this hobby, but don't get to wrapped around the axel, this is suppose to be FUN. I'm sure their are things on your car that are worth points and won't cost as much to make up the 50 or so points, maybe just go with the carb as it sits to see what you get in points, if you think it is worth the points or the expectations of OEM perfect carb that we won't see under the air cleaner. Don't get me wrong Marc, it's your car but I can see this is bugging you. Take care my friend and drive the red dragon
Old 04-22-2014, 10:41 AM
DEAN A NELSON
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Some one ask what one done by Holley looks like, this one was done
this year, they had it for four weeks.

Dean Nelson
Attached Images   
Old 04-23-2014, 01:23 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Default Update!

I had another rebuilder take a look at the carb. It is currently being prepared to improve cosmetics by locating various parts.

The goal is to dress up the carb and make as many improvements as possible in terms of cosmetics.

As for the body it is to be left alone. After seeing the before pictures there is no way that this builder could have emulated the work of the previous builder and that I was damn lucky to have found someone to do this. He really doesn't see an issue with the color. And even if it is off a shade it really is no big deal and that is something I need to move on and forget about. That part is a done deal. The photos put up showing the body are actually a different color than what is really there. So we can't go by what we see in the pictures with the color.

Furthermore, no reason to mess with the body anyway and take a chance screwing up the stamp and date code. If that is manipulated then the party will really be over.

This carb needs a team approach. It was in terrible condition as can be seen from the photos and it was most fortunate that it was brought in the condition it is currently in because normally it would not have been thought possible. I need to be thankful that I found someone to save it.

I don't have much more to say as we are in the search phase for parts. The person I am working with has a LOT of the parts needed and the ones missing he still may have in his collection, plus he has a lot of connections.

Once I get more information I will let you know. At this point it has become "fun" again without the frustration. I feel a lot better now about the outcome of this and so happy to be in this position with a date coded correct 7041205 for my car that actually works!

So right now the carb is a window manniquin getting dressed up.

Last edited by theblackvette; 04-23-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Ret.Horsecop13
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Ret.Horsecop13
Give the fellow a break. He wants to go NCRS. I keep functional as a priority but he has a different mission.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Ret.Horsecop13
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

He's got a good sense of humor. I'm just busting his chops.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:31 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by paul 74
Give the fellow a break. He wants to go NCRS. I keep functional as a priority but he has a different mission.

Originally Posted by Ret.Horsecop13
He's got a good sense of humor. I'm just busting his chops.
Horsecop is right and he knows he has 99 free lashings left to use on me for helping me out with my classic car insurance deal.

Thank you sir, may I have another?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:38 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
I had another rebuilder take a look at the carb. It is currently being prepared to improve cosmetics by locating various parts.

The goal is to dress up the carb and make as many improvements as possible in terms of cosmetics.

As for the body it is to be left alone. After seeing the before pictures there is no way that this builder could have emulated the work of the previous builder and that I was damn lucky to have found someone to do this. He really doesn't see an issue with the color. And even if it is off a shade it really is no big deal and that is something I need to move on and forget about. That part is a done deal. The photos put up showing the body are actually a different color than what is really there. So we can't go by what we see in the pictures with the color.

Furthermore, no reason to mess with the body anyway and take a chance screwing up the stamp and date code. If that is manipulated then the party will really be over.

This carb needs a team approach. It was in terrible condition as can be seen from the photos and it was most fortunate that it was brought in the condition it is currently in because normally it would not have been thought possible. I need to be thankful that I found someone to save it.

I don't have much more to say as we are in the search phase for parts. The person I am working with has a LOT of the parts needed and the ones missing he still may have in his collection, plus he has a lot of connections.

Once I get more information I will let you know. At this point it has become "fun" again without the frustration. I feel a lot better now about the outcome of this and so happy to be in this position with a date coded correct 7041205 for my car that actually works!

So right now the carb is a window manniquin getting dressed up.
Mark, I never saw an issue with the color either. I may be a bit color blind but mine looks similar. If you can get the hard parts replaced it will be fine.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:16 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Default UPDATE! Carburetor finished!

Well folks....
I have an update. After months of getting involved in this project I finally have what I believe is a really nice presentable carburetor. I do understand that I have to also be concerned of how it works mechanically. But I am confident it will do well. It has been seen by several folks and pressure test completed and it all looks good so far.

Okay, here we go. Here is what I got now. See earlier pics in this thread for the progress.

I will start with what we started with.

Here is what I got now.....Depending on the lighting the image varies.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:48 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Last edited by Kid Vette; 06-30-2014 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Whatever

Quick Reply: Once upon a Carburetor Rebuild Story!