C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on how trim rings came when you bought a new corvette from dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Info on how trim rings came when you bought a new corvette from dealer?

I have a set of trim rings ring stacked on top of each other and shrink wrapped in plastic with cardboard in between each. Someone said that's how they came in car from General Motors when you bought a new car. Anyone know or have pics of ones from new car?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi NC,
Did 'shrink wrap' even exist in the 68-72 period? I don't remember it being around.
I've read that the rings were shipped in a bag described as vinyl or plastic 'bag', with cardboard separating the individual rings. 4 rings to a 'bag'.
I think a close look at the rings through the shrink wrap, particularly studying the clips, the method of their attachment to inner band, the profile shape of the band, and the appearance of the crimp on the ring circumference that holds the band in place, will quickly tell you at least the era these rings were produced, AND, if they COULD have been used in production, and thus might have come in a car.
Regards,
Alan

This is the configuration of the 68-74 ring and was only used in production. (AND have become valuable.)

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-16-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:09 PM
HBI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were delivered to the buyer installed on the car. How they arrived at the dealer from St Louis is another question.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 442 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Corvette
I have a set of trim rings ring stacked on top of each other and shrink wrapped in plastic with cardboard in between each. Someone said that's how they came in car from General Motors when you bought a new car. Anyone know or have pics of ones from new car?
I've heard the same... Do you have photos? Back side of a trim ring would be helpful as well.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

I worked at a Dodge store between 1975-77 while in high school. I detailed the new cars (think Cordoba, Aspen, Dart and Ram Charger). I can tell you for a fact that the four trim rings would arrive in the trunk in a shrink wrapped bundle, stacked within each other with brown corrugated cardboard separating each polished stainless steel ring. The shrink wrapping did not cover the entire package, but fully enveloped/protected the outside but there was a large hole in the center of the rings that, had there not been the separator layers of cardboard, would have been large enough to put your arm through. I remember that the clearish-opaque plastic shrink-wrap was relatively tough to rip open compared to today's stuff so I would sometimes use a blade to get it started vs. tearing it. The supplier knew what they were doing in securing the trim rings - they were secured and would not jostle and cause rubbing which would result in scratches and warranty claims because they were well so packaged. My bet is that Chrysler co-shared many of the same suppliers as GM (and, Ford) and the C3 rings were probably produced at the same specialty supplier as Mopar's at the time. Regardless, the shrink or stretch-wrap technology definitely existed. Good find!

Last edited by Lakeside49; 04-16-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

I'll grab a couple pics tomorrow and post them up. I think the clips on mine were in the center of ring, not near top. Thanks

Last edited by Northern Corvette; 04-16-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Corvette
I worked for a Chevy dealer back in the late 70's. Anytime a car was delivered to the dealer, I would have to check that the trim rings, center caps, hub caps, manual antenna masts, floor mats, front license plate bracket(if your state required one), and owners manuals and various paper work was all accounted for before signing off on the car from the transport carrier.

The trim rings and hub caps were shrink wrapped in a heavy grade plastic separated by cardboard discs. The center caps were stacked with heavy grade paper between them and then shrink wrapped. Floor mats came in a light plastic bag. Antenna masts were sometimes in a plastic sleeve, sometimes just laid in the car bare. The main license plate brackets were just laid in the car along with a plastic bag containing any small brackets and fasteners.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Pic 1
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Pic 2
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Pic 3
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Dr. Dobbins' books show these. Trim rings were packaged as a set of four and placed in the rear storage compartment. They were installed at the dealership as part of new car preparation which Pete79L82 used to do.

Your set might be original, but could also be a set purchased over the counter at Chevrolet. I'm wondering whether your job number is 57.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 04-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 442 Likes on 260 Posts

Those trim rings don't appear to be for a Corvette application, but I would bet that they were factory supplied for something.

Still very cool!

Regards,

Stan
Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
The design of the ring (the step in the front face, and the flat surface that travels back toward the hub) reminds me of the 67 Corvette ring.
Could these be aftermarket rings for that car?
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Info on how trim rings came when you bought a new corvette from dealer?

Quick Reply: Info on how trim rings came when you bought a new corvette from dealer?