Newbie here and wanted to share progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:58 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Good progress!

Could I talk you out of repainting with flat yellow......please?
It will not be hard I am trying to decide what color to repaint it when I can get an extra $10K or that is what I have been quoted. Quotes have been between $10K and $15K. I don't even think this car is even worth that much.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:32 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also was getting quotes on paint like that but then talked to a Subaru dealership paint shop and they are doing it for $2800. It's been there now for two months but I stop by a few times a week and they are going crazy with the block sanding. Should be just a few more weeks.

Your project is looking good, keep it up.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:44 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by mac79vette
I also was getting quotes on paint like that but then talked to a Subaru dealership paint shop and they are doing it for $2800. It's been there now for two months but I stop by a few times a week and they are going crazy with the block sanding. Should be just a few more weeks.

Your project is looking good, keep it up.

Definately don't break the bank over a paint job....shop around!

I located a small paint shop that agreed to paint my '34 streetrod truck as I purchased the body parts......front cap/fenders....then the bed/rear fenders/then the cab.....the whole process took six months---but I knew by the first part they painted that they did quality work..........pic of partially assembled truck!)

Old 04-21-2014, 10:42 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Definately don't break the bank over a paint job....shop around!

I located a small paint shop that agreed to paint my '34 streetrod truck as I purchased the body parts......front cap/fenders....then the bed/rear fenders/then the cab.....the whole process took six months---but I knew by the first part they painted that they did quality work..........pic of partially assembled truck!)

Sweet ride doorgunner it looks really nice.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

I am so stressed out and burned out from working on this car it is about to drive me nuts. One step forward and three steps back it seems, but really nothing more than the little things but I guess I am just to meticulous. I just hope I can make my deadline of July 4th so I can surprise my dad and take him for a road trip for his birthday. My main goals were to get it good and mechanically sound and at the same time taking the time to clean up all the parts I removed and refinish them. I knew this would suck up some money but all the little pieces add up quick and everything was there on the car. Not everything worked though but I expected that since it has been neglected for 30 years. Still a long way to go in my mind and that isn't even the half of it I would be willing to bet. I may be just wasting my time and money and doing everything wrong hell if know anymore. Rant over have a good one.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 AM
68Thunder427
Pro

Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

It can get frustrating, just hang in there you're doing great. What I did was make a list of what I wanted to do. I would then go to tackle one thing at a time and only if in working on that item I realized that I would have to take apart what I was fixing to do something else on my list would complete both items. This way you can start crossing things off your list and get a feeling of accomplishment. I use to just start working and then see something and go after that and then see something else etc. At the end of the day I had a pile of started items and nothing complete. Work smarter not harder.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:15 PM
TurboStitchCW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Thunder, don't stress bro! What exactly are the three steps back? The forum can help with just about anything you're going through with the car. I never would have been able to make it from here:

to here:

to here:

without the forum (and trust me) it got frustrating at times but I kept at it, and I love the way my interior turned out. You are starting out way better than others have, so keep at it.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

In post #1 you said that you inherited the car from your dad, in post #25 I was a little shocked to see that you want to take him for a ride on his birthday...???
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Originally Posted by Eljay
In post #1 you said that you inherited the car from your dad, in post #25 I was a little shocked to see that you want to take him for a ride on his birthday...???
Sorry for the confusion he is still alive but finally gave the car to me after it sat way to long (20+ years). He has only seen a little of the progress and I want to surprise him. It was like inheriting it in a way but I edited the write up so that no one else thinks that, thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by 68Thunder427; 04-22-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Originally Posted by TurboStitchCW
Hey Thunder, don't stress bro! What exactly are the three steps back? The forum can help with just about anything you're going through with the car. I never would have been able to make it from here:

to here:

without the forum (and trust me) it got frustrating at times but I kept at it, and I love the way my interior turned out. You are starting out way better than others have, so keep at it.
Nice looking interior and I have browsed your thread and you are doing some nice work.

I have taken advantage of the forum as much as possible, when others reply and believe me I understand everyone has a life. The biggest frustrations is trying to salvage all the original parts and just clean them up and re-install. Tab broke off previously here, this missing there etc. Then as I have gotten the car back to life things are starting to fail and it just adds to the frustration. Read all that I have done so far in previous post and I know that I didn't list it all.

The clutch is out now so ad that to the list.

Hooked the battery up the other day and smoke came boiling out from under the hood and either the alternator or voltage regulator fried, haven't even tested to figure out which.

I am down to my last door panel which had pulled the bottom front clip out and now have figured out it is warped. I repaired the clip area and added a piece of metal but the panel is warped almost 2 to 3 inches so it pulled apart. I would just buy a new one but the budget will not allow it, have a family to feed.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:45 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Engine compartment and radiator area all cleaned up and painted.

Interior progress.

Ugly primer gray hood gone
Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Well I pulled the engine today and replaced the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, cleaned up the firewall and repainted it, replaced the oil pan gasket, cleaned up oil pan and repainted, added a bracket to hold the main engine harness away from the headers, and got the motor stabbed back in. Whew what a day.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:43 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

OK my 68 BB is a NOM but it does have a sweet 70 LS6 454 in it, that my grandfather balanced and blueprinted, so at this point it would cost at least $10K to outfit under the hood the correct way and I don't think I would ever recover even a portion of that money back if I went that route. The reason it is not NOM is my old man sent a rod through the side of the block but said it was alot of fun doing it The car has been in the family since 1969.

With that said what is this car actually worth as is?

What would it be worth if I did a full resto without the original motor?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 AM
68Thunder427
Pro

Everything has to go on hold and will probably be a while. My wife is having to have surgery so this is going to have to go on the back burner.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Thunder427
Everything has to go on hold and will probably be a while. My wife is having to have surgery so this is going to have to go on the back burner.
I've been in your situation......take good care of your wife/Top priority.

When she starts feeling better, she will give you some garage-time for taking such good care of her!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

My wife is definitely my top priority.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie here and wanted to share progress

Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Thunder427
My wife is definitely my top priority.
Treat your Corvette like your wife, that way when you want to go for a ride, you get exactly what you want!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Navy01Coupe
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Good luck with her surgery. I'm sure everyone here will be sending positive vibes.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:58 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your wife.

Quick Reply: Newbie here and wanted to share progress