Sponsored by:

Door Ajar light

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
empeg9000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Ajar light

So I cannot get my door ajar light to turn off. I know it's the passenger side switch. The switch seems okay and if I push it in with my thumb, it goes off. I have tried turning it out a little but it still stays on when it's closed. What gives? I am wondering if it's the wrong one or it's too short or something. It looks like the correct one however.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be a small rubber square pad that is on the door that the switch sits against when closed. Is it missing?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
empeg9000
Instructor

I think it might be that then. I have not noticed that. I will look tonight when I get home.

Last edited by empeg9000; 04-07-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Capkunu
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by empeg9000
I think it might be then. I have not noticed that. I will look tonight when I get home.
Like several other switches on the car, the door ajar switch is, by default, in 'make' position. If the switch is either partially disconnected or fails to travel completely, the circuit remains on.

I had this problem with my driver's door switch; turned out to be a partially disconnected wire. I removed the switch, fished the two wires through the opening in the door frame, secured the wire terminals, and reseated the switch so it would travel to 'disconnect' when the door is closed.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:01 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roco71
There should be a small rubber square pad that is on the door that the switch sits against when closed. Is it missing?
Do you have one on the driver's side?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 PM
empeg9000
Instructor

I do not. I did realize that it looks like there are two words that are supposed to go to the switch. There is only one wire. I can see another one in there but I'm not sure it's for that. I tried fishing it out but that's not an easy task.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts
Default My understanding

I do not. I did realize that it looks like there are two words that are supposed to go to the switch. There is only one wire. I can see another one in there but I'm not sure it's for that. I tried fishing it out but that's not an easy task.
When I worked on my right door switch, I noted 2 wires on it. The switch is mounted in fiberglass, so there must be 2 wires to it.

As stated before, the switch is a contact for the ground wire to that Door Open light bulb. Compressed (door closed) and the contact/circuit is open (no ground, no light). Extended (door open) and the contact/circuit closes (ground complete, light ON).
Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I can see another one in there but I'm not sure it's for that. I tried fishing it out but that's not an easy task.
Jack up the car, remove the rear wheel and remove the 3 x 4 inch plate in the front of the rear fender well. That will get you in there.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 AM
empeg9000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
Jack up the car, remove the rear wheel and remove the 3 x 4 inch plate in the front of the rear fender well. That will get you in there.
Awesome tip! thanks a bunch. I will check that out tonight.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
When I worked on my right door switch, I noted 2 wires on it. The switch is mounted in fiberglass, so there must be 2 wires to it.

As stated before, the switch is a contact for the ground wire to that Door Open light bulb. Compressed (door closed) and the contact/circuit is open (no ground, no light). Extended (door open) and the contact/circuit closes (ground complete, light ON).
I thought both sides of that wire were hot, and the switch just breaks the connection. But I've been wrong at least once before.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Capkunu
I thought both sides of that wire were hot, and the switch just breaks the connection. But I've been wrong at least once before.
Me too!

I believed we were talking about the door switch on the hinge, or forward, bulkhead. Then I read later were you can remove a rear fender well panel to access..........

Steve
Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The pin switches at the front of the door are for courtesy lights and the pin switches at the rear of the door are for the door ajar lights. On my '74 the front and rear pin switches are different lengths so they are not interchangeable even though they look the same other than the length.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:56 PM
relic1864
Instructor

Default door adjar light

My drivers door adjar light flickers on and off when driving the car. I ordered a new switch but didnt know how to put it in because I was afraid if I pulled out on the old switch the wires would come off inside the door pannel. Thanks to this post I now know to remove the pannel in the tire well to get to it to replace the switch. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A quick and easy 'bubba' fix would be to place a rubber vacuum port plug over the end of the switch like a condom. It adds the extra length to make up for the missing pad and looks normal to the non-vette experts.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 AM
empeg9000
Instructor

Well I managed to get that panel off and got the white wire. I have both hooked up. Now however the courtesy lights and the door ajar lights won't go off. How annoying! Now i don't want to drive the car because I don't want the battery to run dead. DO these switch either work or they don't? Is there something else I can check? It has to be something with this switch though. The courtesy light at least went off before. I noticed there is a green wire in there too. Does anyone know what that goes to? I can't wait for my manual to get here.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:51 PM
relic1864
Instructor

Default door adjar light

I tryed putting a small rubber cap on top of the switch post and then the light would not go off at all. I then tryed taking that rubber cap back off and putting a sticky small bump thing on the door where the switch hits when you close the door and the light still stayed on. seems like empeg9000 and I have the same problem.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Capkunu
Pro

Originally Posted by relic1864
I tryed putting a small rubber cap on top of the switch post and then the light would not go off at all. I then tryed taking that rubber cap back off and putting a sticky small bump thing on the door where the switch hits when you close the door and the light still stayed on. seems like empeg9000 and I have the same problem.
Have you tried adjusting the switch travel? There's a nut that seats the switch so when the door is closed, it pushes the switch shaft inward against its spring. Maybe your shaft is too far out and isn't closing completely?

Get notified of new replies

To Door Ajar light

Old 04-10-2014, 02:26 PM
empeg9000
Instructor

I haven't. I guess I could try that. This is very frustrating! I worked on it about 3 hours and I still can't get this working.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:54 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

I haven't. I guess I could try that. This is very frustrating! I worked on it about 3 hours and I still can't get this working.
I hate electrical!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:12 PM
empeg9000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Capkunu

Have you tried adjusting the switch travel? There's a nut that seats the switch so when the door is closed, it pushes the switch shaft inward against its spring. Maybe your shaft is too far out and isn't closing completely?
Well I finally got this fixed! Victory is mine! I ordered a new door ajar switch thinking maybe I broke the one of the driver's side since it looked original. When I got the new switch I was looking at it and realized it right side switch was shorter than the new one that came. I don't think it was fully depressing. So I installed the new one on the right side and all is well. Finally! I probably had 8 hours of work into a stupid door ajar light. It was driving me crazy!

So Capkunu you got me going in the right direction. Thanks a bunch. Thanks to everyone else for chiming in too.

Quick Reply: Door Ajar light