C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 CEC is in my car! Interesting find!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dan1495
You can adjust it with a 1/2" wrench at the end that contacts the carburetor linkage.
I adjust mine with the car running and fully warmed up.
Okay great! I am bringing my car to another owner of a 1971 454 to compare notes. I am going to have him see if indeed my solenoid is firing. It SOUNDS like it is. It appears the plunger is way off course and needs serious adjustment. Now that we got the know how if that is the only issue for getting it to function that will be great. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:37 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Spent the day going over a lot of things over my car.

The CEC system was one of them.

IT APPEARS TO BE WORKING. Solenoid firing and plunger moving in and out when shifting in the higher gears.

Way cool!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Default Video request

Someone requested to actually see the plunger how it goes in and out when shifting in the higher gears.

I made a video and figured I would post it in here as well.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:39 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Absolutely fantastic! The thread just paid for itself. I like this is a one year install on 1971 corvettes. Just like the gas cap. Have you checked your gas cap to see if it is original?
I think I have all of the original parts for this system as well, minus the solenoid. I wondered what the 2 pieces attached to the firewall were for. I didn't know it was a one year only deal. How is the gas cap different for '71? I had a factory locking cap on mine when I bought it. The seal was bad so I replaced it with a regular twist on cap.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:50 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bondoboy
I think I have all of the original parts for this system as well, minus the solenoid. I wondered what the 2 pieces attached to the firewall were for. I didn't know it was a one year only deal. How is the gas cap different for '71? I had a factory locking cap on mine when I bought it. The seal was bad so I replaced it with a regular twist on cap.
Solenoids are available (original ones) and pricey but you can get one.

As for the gas cap. They have the word SEALED on it and opposite typically had a red plastic plate attached that says "OPEN SLOWLY CAUTION" The two taps on the equator of the gas cap point towards the open slowly caution. On the inside there is a trademark that has I think two letters but can't remember what they are but they should be there.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:51 AM
'71LT-1Stingray
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread. I just bought a '71 and thought I'd subscribe to this thread for future reference. Thanks for all the info gentlemen and thanks for the thread BV.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '71LT-1Stingray
Good thread. I just bought a '71 and thought I'd subscribe to this thread for future reference. Thanks for all the info gentlemen and thanks for the thread BV.
Congrats on the purchase! An LT-1 for that matter. Very nice!

I looked at one at where you got yours. A 1971 LT-1 red.....They were very accommodating to all my questions about the car.

You are welcome for the thread and discussion. The CEC system is quite interesting and just learned about it myself.

When you really have this car in your garage you will make numerous "discoveries" of interest. The CEC is just one of them. Have you checked to see if the parts are all there and if it is operational?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:06 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Default '71LT-1Stingray

I am anxiously awaiting '71LT-1Stingray's test of his system. He just purchased his 1971 LT1 (delievered over the weekend) and he immediately let me know he is trying to see if his CEC system is working.

I (yes ME!!!!! ) gave him some tips on how to learn if his solenoid is firing. Looking forward to hearing if he has a system that could be working.

There has been A LOT of excitement over this CEC system over the past month or so.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:01 AM
'71LT-1Stingray
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by theblackvette
I am anxiously awaiting '71LT-1Stingray's test of his system. He just purchased his 1971 LT1 (delievered over the weekend) and he immediately let me know he is trying to see if his CEC system is working.

I (yes ME!!!!! ) gave him some tips on how to learn if his solenoid is firing. Looking forward to hearing if he has a system that could be working.

There has been A LOT of excitement over this CEC system over the past month or so.
Thanks BV for the input on the CEC system. I just reread this entire thread, read the posted link from the NCRS article, and have some understanding about what to look for.

I know my rpm's don't rev up 300-500 while shifting to 3rd or 4th, but that is as far as I've got in my research. It took less than a minute to figure that part out. I have a heavy work schedule coming up, but I know the next 2 things I'll check to see if some of the system is working.

1. I'll let the car warm up, turn it off and put the key in the on position, and do some 3rd and 4th shifting to see or hear if the solenoid is working.

2. If the solenoid is working, I'll look to see if the screw is screwed in to far like yours was before the adjustment.

Perhaps I should look to see if the solenoid is even there...lol, it could've been removed like a lot of the others that were mentioned in this thread. I'll update my findings when I have completed 1 or all of these tasks, it could take several days before I get to it.

One thing I can say about this car is that I couldn't be happier, it's just simply a badass piece of history and I'm hoping it's a keeper for life.

Talk soon, Jerry

P.S. I've read and have a small understanding on the NCRS. Not sure if I would take part or not(my car has a NCRS sticker in the back window on the passenger side though). I love the black paint on this car, which we know was not a color option on the 71's. I couldn't return the car to the original color, the black just looks too good.The judges would just have to dock me on that one...lol, but true.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '71LT-1Stingray
Thanks BV for the input on the CEC system. I just reread this entire thread, read the posted link from the NCRS article, and have some understanding about what to look for.

I know my rpm's don't rev up 300-500 while shifting to 3rd or 4th, but that is as far as I've got in my research. It took less than a minute to figure that part out. I have a heavy work schedule coming up, but I know the next 2 things I'll check to see if some of the system is working.

1. I'll let the car warm up, turn it off and put the key in the on position, and do some 3rd and 4th shifting to see or hear if the solenoid is working.

2. If the solenoid is working, I'll look to see if the screw is screwed in to far like yours was before the adjustment.

Perhaps I should look to see if the solenoid is even there...lol, it could've been removed like a lot of the others that were mentioned in this thread. I'll update my findings when I have completed 1 or all of these tasks, it could take several days before I get to it.

One thing I can say about this car is that I couldn't be happier, it's just simply a badass piece of history and I'm hoping it's a keeper for life.

Talk soon, Jerry

P.S. I've read and have a small understanding on the NCRS. Not sure if I would take part or not(my car has a NCRS sticker in the back window on the passenger side though). I love the black paint on this car, which we know was not a color option on the 71's. I couldn't return the car to the original color, the black just looks too good.The judges would just have to dock me on that one...lol, but true.
You are so welcome, Jerry!

YES!!!!!!! Make sure you check to see if the hardware is there first.

You should be able to see it next to the carburetor. Just take a flashlight and look under the air filter cover. You do not need to remove any parts. IF you then can identify there is a solenoid then we can start taking things apart and looking more closely. Yes they are often times missing. Simply put, people who just own a corvette because they look cool and make vrooom vrooom would not even care about this system.

A word about the NCRS. Do NOT compare your car to NCRS cars in any way shape or form. You just got your car. you LOVE it. It should end there for now. I don't want to turn this thread into another NCRS type thread. There are plenty of those threads and many of them end up getting closed due to friction between those that defend it and those that despise the club. And it is a CLUB. If you interested in learning more about it I have started a thread awhile back in attempt to bring a peaceful discussion. So far it is working out. Go here if you like to learn more and ask all the questions you want.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...t-the-bar.html

The good, bad, and evil.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Remember…. there's a lot more to the CEC system than just having the solenoid 'fire'.
The solenoid is controlled by the temperature sensor in the right side head, the sensor in the transmission, the delay timer on the firewall, and the reversing relay on the firewall.
All these components must be working and connected correctly for the system to work as designed.
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM
'71LT-1Stingray
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
Remember…. there's a lot more to the CEC system than just having the solenoid 'fire'.
The solenoid is controlled by the temperature sensor in the right side head, the sensor in the transmission, the delay timer on the firewall, and the reversing relay on the firewall.
All these components must be working and connected correctly for the system to work as designed.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan, it certainly is a complex system. Being a one year only feature for the 1971 is pretty cool. I've noticed that you give a lot of great advice and post many helpful pictures in a lot of threads. I certainly appreciate you for that and I'm sure there are many members who do as well.

Thank you Sir, Jerry

Quick Reply: 1971 CEC is in my car! Interesting find!