C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 CEC is in my car! Interesting find!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Thread Inspired by Chief War Bonnet

Thanks for the props! Just my annoying way of trying to help....

I think for both our sakes I'll try to restrain/refrain from posting in any of your "stupid" threads/ comments......
One favor, when you're ready to unload your car please let me know, so I can post it for all to critique!

Anyway, it seems you're off to a good start with the CEC system!

Oh, and just by looking at your pictures there is no way of determining if the system is working.

Don't take this wrong but there are many non typical items shown in your pictures!!! For starters the bracket holding the solenoid to the carb is not correct. Just one of MANY! The mech team will have their work cut out for them.....

Keep learning, you'll get it! Stop being such a puss, and go out and bust a couple knuckles, I want to see blood
Originally Posted by Dan H.
Could you post a link to an article for war bonnet?
Not sure why I need an article?
Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Completely off-topic (I know BV doesn't mind), but Alan you have photos of everything, and they are always perfectly in focus and very well detailed.
Pete, You might think these pictures are older and cataloged but to your surprise, Alan will run down the basement (where the car is) take perfect pictures, download to a photo sharing, then post them. I understand his SO stands there in wonder or is it wander?
Originally Posted by CraigH
Have a look at this thread as well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-wiring-2.html

The NCRS article still left some things unexplained in my mind .
Great help there Craig!

Last edited by Don Rickles; 04-06-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi WB,
SO hardly even shakes her head anymore.
There are now approaching 4000 pictures and the number increases more some days than others.
It also depends to some degree just what's apart on the car at the moment as to whether there's a new picture or not…. and of course what questions are being asked. (Shifter plate was out yesterday so there were pictures for 63427's lighter thread.)
Some REALLY GOOD pictures never get used because no one ever asks the right question!!!! (Is there an emoticon (?) for that?)
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi WB,
SO hardly even shakes her head anymore.
There are now approaching 4000 pictures and the number increases more some days than others.
It also depends to some degree just what's apart on the car at the moment as to whether there's a new picture or not…. and of course what questions are being asked. (Shifter plate was out yesterday so there were pictures for 63427's lighter thread.)
Some REALLY GOOD pictures never get used because no one ever asks the right question!!!! (Is there an emoticon (?) for that?)
Regards,
Alan

I did just view the lighter pictures! Of course, perfect! If only others knew the lengths you go to educate them! You are a GREAT teacher!

Last edited by Don Rickles; 04-06-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
What makes the CEC difficult for me to understand is that there are those many parts, but only 1 thing moves…. the plunger on the solenoid.
And, the system works by electricity and vacuum…. 2 odd concepts in my mind.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Hi,
What makes the CEC difficult for me to understand is that there are those many parts, but only 1 thing moves…. the plunger on the solenoid.
And, the system works by electricity and vacuum…. 2 odd concepts in my mind.
Regards,
Alan
The points move? The ball in the trans switch moves?

I'm still picking up bits and pieces too! For one I just learned why the length of the green wire at the temp switch is so long!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi WB,
Why?
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Hi WB,
Why?
Regards,
Alan
"This could explain why the CEC temp sensor pigtail was not part of the full engine harness and why it is a specific length and thickness. Way longer than needed to connect to the harness.

It would dissipate heat while it is providing a path to ground just like the heater coil in the time delay relay would, when it provides the path."
Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
Thanks for the props! Just my annoying way of trying to help....

I think for both our sakes I'll try to restrain/refrain from posting in any of your "stupid" threads/ comments......
One favor, when you're ready to unload your car please let me know, so I can post it for all to critique!

Anyway, it seems you're off to a good start with the CEC system!

Oh, and just by looking at your pictures there is no way of determining if the system is working.

Don't take this wrong but there are many non typical items shown in your pictures!!! For starters the bracket holding the solenoid to the carb is not correct. Just one of MANY! The mech team will have their work cut out for them.....

Keep learning, you'll get it! Stop being such a puss, and go out and bust a couple knuckles, I want to see blood

Not sure why I need an article?

Pete, You might think these pictures are older and cataloged but to your surprise, Alan will run down the basement (where the car is) take perfect pictures, download to a photo sharing, then post them. I understand his SO stands there in wonder or is it wander?

Great help there Craig!
Hey credit is given when deserved.

Stupid threads and comments... So far the sesame street song thread is alive and well and popular. Different strokes for different folks is what it amounts to. I think your submission was

Oh there is really nothing that anyone can say about my car that will offend me. I already have had several folks (especially talented NCRS folks) point out things "wrong" with my car. As I stated in another thread there are several "hardware" issues with the car as it pertains to typical factory production. Such as things you pointed out and screws and bolts not being typical factory production. These in my mind are minor and can easily be corrected.

I acknowledge the fact that you are highly educated when it comes to what is typical and not typical. This is a new chapter in my corvette hobby. My first classic ever. I am used to the later models. It is so much different now that I can read what is posted here and go out to my "model" in the garage and actually see what everyone is talking about.

If being a new owner of a 1971 corvette is being a puss because they want to be extra careful then so be it. Taking my car up to Kissimmee and parking it in Sportsman area and having SEVERAL experienced NCRS people tear apart my car (not in a bad way, constructive criticism) I am told was quite brave. I know of many local corvette people here that would NEVER EVER take their car to an NCRS event as they would have no tolerance at all for anyone saying anything bad about their car. All this things that are being said about my corvette can only help me and not hurt me. I am so happy with the car exactly the way it is, but I am indeed interested taking it to another level.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:35 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Hi BV,
The last function is easy (maybe the easiest) to test.
When you're sitting in the car at idle (engine completely at operating temperature) shift the transmission into 3rd and 4th gear leaving the clutch pushed in, the idle speed should increase about 500 rpm in each gear. As soon as you move the shifter back to neutral, or 1st or 2nd gear, the idle should return and stay at the normal idle rpm for your car.
Regards,
Alan
Well I started the car up, got her to operating temperature and I was not surprised to not see any changes to the idle speed shifting the transmission to 3rd and 4th gear. Therefore, the system does not appear to be operating as designed. HOWEVER, when I do go to 3rd and 4th gears I can here a VERY subtle noise. I mean it is really hard to hear it but it does sound like something is happening when shifting to these gears. I don't know if this could be part of the CEC that is operating or something else.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Hey credit is given when deserved.

Stupid threads and comments... So far the sesame street song thread is alive and well and popular. Different strokes for different folks is what it amounts to. I think your submission was

Oh there is really nothing that anyone can say about my car that will offend me. I already have had several folks (especially talented NCRS folks) point out things "wrong" with my car. As I stated in another thread there are several "hardware" issues with the car as it pertains to typical factory production. Such as things you pointed out and screws and bolts not being typical factory production. These in my mind are minor and can easily be corrected.

I acknowledge the fact that you are highly educated when it comes to what is typical and not typical. This is a new chapter in my corvette hobby. My first classic ever. I am used to the later models. It is so much different now that I can read what is posted here and go out to my "model" in the garage and actually see what everyone is talking about.

If being a new owner of a 1971 corvette is being a puss because they want to be extra careful then so be it. Taking my car up to Kissimmee and parking it in Sportsman area and having SEVERAL experienced NCRS people tear apart my car (not in a bad way, constructive criticism) I am told was quite brave. I know of many local corvette people here that would NEVER EVER take their car to an NCRS event as they would have no tolerance at all for anyone saying anything bad about their car. All this things that are being said about my corvette can only help me and not hurt me. I am so happy with the car exactly the way it is, but I am indeed interested taking it to another level.

Did you want to learn something or explain yourself? I said I would button my lip on your stupid replies comments or threads.......but

I realize you're "new"......with C 3 cars. And I'm not and have never shown you a "better then you" attitude!" We're all lovers of these cool cars, period!

I tried to say nicely that there are items I can see, only by comparing my all original 71 photos to yours, and that are not typical factory production.

Listen if you prefer, I'll completely leave you alone? Years from now, stop back and take a close look at the threads you started......I do, and regret several. But it's a part of the learning.

It's just a car, not a human life. I doubt you'd kill it by turning a wrench on it?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:09 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Listen if you prefer, I'll completely leave you alone? Years from now, stop back and take a close look at the threads you started......I do, and regret several. But it's a part of the learning.

It's just a car, not a human life. I doubt you'd kill it by turning a wrench on it?

Actually what I would prefer is to meet in person one day and talk corvettes and other stuff. Interacting on an online forum with someone you never met before doesn't often go anywhere when there are disagreements. Going back and forth and getting into pi$$ fests with people you never met in real life is what is "stupid." I would guarantee you with 100 percent certainty if we met at an NCRS event or anywhere for that matter and we went over my car, your car, and other people's cars that our future interactions on this forum would be totally different.

You don't know me and I don't know you on a personal level. I could explain a lot about me and why I do things a certain way but I am not interested in discussing my life story on an online forum. I save that with actual real life friends. Our communication is strange to say the least here. One day we are cordial and the next we are crapping in each others throats. None of this BS would be happening if we truly knew one another personally. This thread regarding the CEC system is one of our successful interaction threads, fortunately. I find this very fascinating to say the least. But, one cannot expect ME to grasp this system in one day when it is said that there are judges out there that do not even know how to test the CEC system to see if it works.

There are lots of other things in the world that are going on to worry or regret about what someone posts or has posted in the past on a bulletin board. I been on this forum longer than you and wear a yellow badge under my avatar and I have never had any regrets, ever.

Enough of Dr. Phil but I felt like I should get real here.

I do appreciate your help and you have a interesting way of expressing it. Hopefully, one day our paths will cross and we can become real friends and you can really "tear apart" my car in a good way.

Last edited by theblackvette; 04-06-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi BV,
Try this… with the engine completely warmed up but shut off, BUT, with the ignition still on, shift into 3rd and 4th gear…. you should hear/see the plunger on the solenoid fire/move when you move the shifter into and out of each (3rd &4th) gear.
The length of the plunger can be adjusted.. this determines how much increase in rpm you'll see when it fires with the engine running.
It's difficult to understand what should be happening in the 4 parts of the system until you see a car with the system working properly, then you'll know/understand what to be looking and listening for.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-06-2014, 10:26 AM
63vette427
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"This could explain why the CEC temp sensor pigtail was not part of the full engine harness and why it is a specific length and thickness. Way longer than needed to connect to the harness.

It would dissipate heat while it is providing a path to ground just like the heater coil in the time delay relay would, when it provides the path."
Do the new lectric limited engine harness include the wiring for the CEC system, like the plug for the solenoid and the "button" plug for the tranny?
Old 04-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi 63427,
The new 71 reproduction harnesses have all the CEC connections except they just have the connector for the right side head temp sensor pigtail which is sold separately.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Hi BV,
Try this… with the engine completely warmed up but shut off, BUT, with the ignition still on, shift into 3rd and 4th gear…. you should hear/see the plunger on the solenoid fire/move when you move the shifter into and out of each (3rd &4th) gear.
The length of the plunger can be adjusted.. this determines how much increase in rpm you'll see when it fires with the engine running.
It's difficult to understand what should be happening in the 4 parts of the system until you see a car with the system working properly, then you'll know/understand what to be looking and listening for.
Regards,
Alan
I roger that and will do this "re-test" with the adjusted instructions as soon as I get back. It shouldn't take long to rewarm up the 454 from earlier this morning.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:30 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

I roger that and will do this "re-test" with the adjusted instructions as soon as I get back. It shouldn't take long to rewarm up the 454 from earlier this morning.
STAY tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!

VIDEO UPLOAD in progress.....

Place your bets!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:00 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Default Here are the results of the test!

You will find a twenty plus second video attached to this post.

The following was done to perform the test:

Car was warmed up to operating temperature.

Engine was turned off but the key set on the ON position.

In the video from 0.00 to 0.07 secs you will immediately hear two separate noises.

One is the sound of clanks (like a washing machine) this is the shifting from third to fourth gears back and forth. The also another sound is of a clicking noise which almost sounds like a turn signal click.

From 0:07 to 0:14 the "turn signal click" disappears as I change shifting to first and second gears.

The rest of the video from that point I go back to shifting from third to fourth gear and the "turn signal click" returns.

Also, after the video was shot and the car turned off completely. No "turn signal" click could be heard while shifting to third and fourth gears.

Therefore, does this mean that the CEC system if functioning correctly in my car? I think it MIGHT!!!!!!!!

Last edited by theblackvette; 04-06-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 CEC is in my car! Interesting find!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi BV,
It SOUNDS like the solenoid is firing.
With the car running and warmed up you should now be able to perform the same test while sitting still and should notice the rpm increases by about 300-500 when you shift from neutral to 3rd or 4th.
IF you don't see and hear the increase it COULD be that the plunger on the solenoid isn't adjusted properly and thus isn't pushing on the carburetor throttle linkage at all or enough to raise the rpm.
Notice in this picture how far the plunger is out of the solenoid (in the un-fired position) and how close it is to the throttle linkage (with IT in the closed position). Compare this adjustment to the adjustment shown in your pictures.
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Hi BV,
It SOUNDS like the solenoid is firing.
With the car running and warmed up you should now be able to perform the same test while sitting still and should notice the rpm increases by about 300-500 when you shift from neutral to 3rd or 4th.
IF you don't see and hear the increase it COULD be that the plunger on the solenoid isn't adjusted properly and thus isn't pushing on the carburetor throttle linkage at all or enough to raise the rpm.
Notice in this picture how far the plunger is out of the solenoid (in the un-fired position) and how close it is to the throttle linkage (with IT in the closed position). Compare this adjustment to the adjustment shown in your pictures.
Regards,
Alan
Alan before I get to my answer as an aside who would have ever thought after ALL these years you and me would be talking about the CEC system on OUR 1971 corvettes? I know it is just me but this is surreal.

Okay, I went back out to the car. I did not start the car this time as I don't know how hot it will get for me to take off the air filter and move it over so I can get direct access to the solenoid. I want to see where the plunger is as compared to your is.

Well, BOMBSHELL!!!!!!!!! What do ya know? The plunger is COMPLETELY in the retracted position in the solenoid. I was able to pull out the plunger as show in the pictures but as soon as I walk away the plunger goes right back into its fully retracted position. You can drive a truck through the space between the plunger and the throttle linkage.

In conclusion, it would appear the plunger is not adjusted properly on the solenoid.....

Do you come to the same conclusion?

Here are the pics for your review. Hope they meet Pete's minimum standards of photography? HAHAHA!

Last edited by theblackvette; 04-06-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

From post #21

"For starters the bracket holding the solenoid to the carb is not correct."

Quick Reply: 1971 CEC is in my car! Interesting find!