Sponsored by:

Headers and Side pipes Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 PM
B Carson
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers and Side pipes Ordered

After reading every post on this forum that I could regarding headers and side pipes, I have finally placed my order.

I went with Hooker sidemount headers and side pipes in stainless steel. I plan on ordering STS inserts sometime this week. I think it is going to make my 72 elkhart green vette look and sound sweet.

I ordered from Summit Racing and I'm really hoping this process go's smoothly. I was one of the unlucky one's who got taken for $5500 from Keisler Engineering, so I am really hoping to not have to go through something like that again.

So wish me luck.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I have made dozens of purchases from Summit

Post some pics when the "goodies" arrive!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

just save box and check to make sure there are no fitment issues.summit will back up there products they sell.just send back if they don't fit, im looking at dougs header side pipes from them.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck with your purchase. They stand behind what they sell so if there is a problem just call them and they'll make it right. Not to steal but I bought a set of black Doug's sidepipe headers from Summit and they fit like a glove. No trimming and no tweaking of the pipes to make them fit.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:30 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

congrats, I too bought mine hookers stainless from Summit they fit great.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

any of you guys have the borgeson steering box or 23 degree angled plug heads. summit is very good, I talked with the owners of dougs which is pertronix, hope I spelled it right.thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 10:45 PM
91turbo2
Racer

Originally Posted by 509 rat
just save box and check to make sure there are no fitment issues.summit will back up there products they sell.just send back if they don't fit, im looking at dougs header side pipes from them.
I just received my Doug's side mount headers from summit a couple weeks back. All I can say is quality looks good, the passenger side went in without too much of a struggle but the drivers side will not go in without denting in the tubes. I just can't bring myself to dent a new set of headers. For reference I have a 74 with a 454 BBC.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:53 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Default thanks

Originally Posted by 91turbo2
I just received my Doug's side mount headers from summit a couple weeks back. All I can say is quality looks good, the passenger side went in without too much of a struggle but the drivers side will not go in without denting in the tubes. I just can't bring myself to dent a new set of headers. For reference I have a 74 with a 454 BBC.
just take them to a reputable welding company, and show them where you want the tube moved to ,or tell them to re shape to so it will clear, yes you will have to recoat.im looking at doing the same but in a small block.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I just can't seem to make up my mind which way to go with the sidepipes. I'd like stainless, but Doug's just has 16 gauge steel from what I could find. Hooker has the 18 gauge stainless, but no info on where they are built or what kind of stainless is used. I have been thinking of going with steel and getting them Jet-Hot coated too.

Guys with Doug's, where are your fitment issues?

Guys with the Hooker stainless, how's the quality? Are they magnetic at all? How do they fit?

Did you get yours ceramic coated? Color, quality, cost, and who coated them? How are they holding up?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 AM
SteveCurry
Racer

Originally Posted by larryg3
congrats, I too bought mine hookers stainless from Summit they fit great.
Have you run the car much since installing the stainless Hookers? How do the pipes look? Have you had any of the rust and blotching problems the guys with the stainless Chinese pipes are having?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:06 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by SteveCurry
Have you run the car much since installing the stainless Hookers? How do the pipes look? Have you had any of the rust and blotching problems the guys with the stainless Chinese pipes are having?
Steve,

I didn't hear back from Summitracing, but I did talk to a Holley rep. He said the Hooker stainless sidepipes were made in Mexico until Holley bought them and moved everything to Aberdeen, MS, where they are made now out of very high quality 304 stainless steel. I think I'll be placing my order very soon. Summitracing has free shipping and handling on them now. The Holley rep said he just replied to an email about the same sidepipes, so might be the reply you were waiting for.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 AM
SteveCurry
Racer

Originally Posted by MIKE80
Steve,

I didn't hear back from Summitracing, but I did talk to a Holley rep. He said the Hooker stainless sidepipes were made in Mexico until Holley bought them and moved everything to Aberdeen, MS, where they are made now out of very high quality 304 stainless steel. I think I'll be placing my order very soon. Summitracing has free shipping and handling on them now. The Holley rep said he just replied to an email about the same sidepipes, so might be the reply you were waiting for.
Yep, just got the message! That's all good news, I'm ordering mine today.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Yep, just got the message! That's all good news, I'm ordering mine today.
Which inserts are you getting?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:54 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

Which inserts are you getting?
I haven't decided yet. I need to check out what's available. Any suggestions?

I ordered the pipes this morning.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:23 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

The Vettepack inserts are what I'm going to buy. After hearing the videos of PalmBeachVette76's car, gotta have 'em!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:33 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

I haven't decided yet. I need to check out what's available. Any suggestions?

I ordered the pipes this morning.
I just placed my order with Summitracing for the Hooker stainless sidepipes with the Max Flo Mufflers part number 21046HKR. Classic Chambered Vettepacks are a good more mello nice sound from what I hear. STS inserts are also popular for performance. The Max Flo are good for performance and should have the real nice low deep sound I'm looking for. I'll have them by Friday and do the install this weekend.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-update-3.html

http://www.classicchambered.com/clas...html#corvettes
Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

I just placed my order with Summitracing for the Hooker stainless sidepipes with the Max Flo Mufflers part number 21046HKR. Classic Chambered Vettepacks are a good more mello nice sound from what I hear. STS inserts are also popular for performance. The Max Flo are good for performance and should have the real nice low deep sound I'm looking for. I'll have them by Friday and do the install this weekend.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-update-3.html

http://www.classicchambered.com/clas...html#corvettes
First off, I apologize to B Carson for stomping all over his thread!! Sorry, man!

Super cool on the order! I bought mine from Summit as well.

Just got off the phone with Eric at Classic Chambered and ordered my Vettepack inserts! My lady and I are 57 years old. I want to hear the car but I also want to keep my head from exploding after spending a day in it. Plus, I'm big into classic rock music 60's-90's so I want to be able to hear the iPod when I plug it in while road tripping. I think these Vettepacks are going to be perfect for me!

Get notified of new replies

To Headers and Side pipes Ordered

Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I was having a conversation with a fellow Vette owner yesterday who is installing side pipes and he mentioned that he ordered header buddies. Has anyone installed these and would you consider them superior to standard Hooker gaskets? http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...ader%20Buddies
Old 03-18-2014, 08:45 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

First off, I apologize to B Carson for stomping all over his thread!! Sorry, man!

Super cool on the order! I bought mine from Summit as well.

Just got off the phone with Eric at Classic Chambered and ordered my Vettepack inserts! My lady and I are 57 years old. I want to hear the car but I also want to keep my head from exploding after spending a day in it. Plus, I'm big into classic rock music 60's-90's so I want to be able to hear the iPod when I plug it in while road tripping. I think these Vettepacks are going to be perfect for me!
I'm sure you will be happy with the Vettepacks. I would love to see a video with side by side comparisons of different sidepipe inserts, maybe a bunch of vettes at a show or something would be great. Steve, if you get a chance, maybe you can have someone take a video of you doing a drive-by down the road. I think the videos I've seen of the Vettepacks did not include the vette going by down the road to get a sense of how it sounds as it goes by.

B Carson, sorry you lost the cash on the trans, but I'm sure you can set your mind at ease with your purchase from Summitracing, as you can see we're getting them from there too. Let us know how you like the new sidepipes
Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 PM
B Carson
Cruising

No problem guys, I enjoy the conversations.

I think I'm going with STS baffles. I spoke to Jim (owner) today and he is on vacation and will be returning on March 31. So will have to wait to place my order which is OK because it is still below freezing here in eastern Ontario, Canada.

Glad to hear the Holley is having the headers made in the USA.

Quick Reply: Headers and Side pipes Ordered