Headers and Side pipes Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:19 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCurry
Super nice, Mike!!!

How was the header flange fit to the heads? All the bolt holes line up? Did you get the Hooker quality you expected (mine are still in the boxes)? Are you going to have to trim the rocker panel? And lastly, how do they sound with your mufflers!?

Man, I want the bottom of my car to look as good as yours. Mine is getting its first cleaning and paint since 1970. It's freaking dirty and nasty under there!
Thanks The only bolt that gave me some trouble getting into the flange because of the tube, not the head, was the 4th one back on the right side, so you might want to check that you can get all the bolts into the flange before you start the install. Bolting to the heads was not a problem. Also, I have World Products iron heads, not stock, but shouldn't matter for the bolts. The Hookers are very nice quality! One thing that would have been nice is if they went the extra step inside the collector and welded inside at the primaries, and added a spike in the center. Also, there are some swirls in them, but a little more polishing will take care of that. I had to clearance the left side near the pitman arm, it was real close to it, I just used a prybar for that. The left rocker panel went right on, the right one was a PITA, it needed to be trimmed up to clear the front tube of the headers and also trimmed some fiberglass from the very bottom of the fender behind where the rocker panel goes. Also, the "T" bolts for the side tubes were too long and interfered with the rocker panels, so had to cut them down about 4 threads. I haven't had a chance to take it for a ride yet, but it does have a nice deep low mean sound to it. I'll get some video when I take it for a ride.

As far as the undercarriage goes, you wouldn't believe how bad mine was before I did the body off on it. There was a whole lot of wire brushing, cutting, grinding, and welding involved.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM
SteveCurry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE80
Thanks The only bolt that gave me some trouble getting into the flange because of the tube, not the head, was the 4th one back on the right side, so you might want to check that you can get all the bolts into the flange before you start the install. Bolting to the heads was not a problem. Also, I have World Products iron heads, not stock, but shouldn't matter for the bolts. The Hookers are very nice quality! One thing that would have been nice is if they went the extra step inside the collector and welded inside at the primaries, and added a spike in the center. Also, there are some swirls in them, but a little more polishing will take care of that. I had to clearance the left side near the pitman arm, it was real close to it, I just used a prybar for that. The left rocker panel went right on, the right one was a PITA, it needed to be trimmed up to clear the front tube of the headers and also trimmed some fiberglass from the very bottom of the fender behind where the rocker panel goes. Also, the "T" bolts for the side tubes were too long and interfered with the rocker panels, so had to cut them down about 4 threads. I haven't had a chance to take it for a ride yet, but it does have a nice deep low mean sound to it. I'll get some video when I take it for a ride.

As far as the undercarriage goes, you wouldn't believe how bad mine was before I did the body off on it. There was a whole lot of wire brushing, cutting, grinding, and welding involved.
I bought the Steeroids rack and pinion kit for my car so I know I'll have to clearance the #1 tube for the steering rod heim joint. And, I bought a Blueprint Engines roller cam 355 for my car. It has their aluminum heads. I assume everything should bolt up as with stock heads?

I've been contemplating doing a body off, but I'm not sure I want to open Pandora's box.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:47 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

I bought the Steeroids rack and pinion kit for my car so I know I'll have to clearance the #1 tube for the steering rod heim joint. And, I bought a Blueprint Engines roller cam 355 for my car. It has their aluminum heads. I assume everything should bolt up as with stock heads?

I've been contemplating doing a body off, but I'm not sure I want to open Pandora's box.
Are the heads you have straight or angled plugs? If it's straight plugs. then you should be fine. I'm not sure if angled would work though.

My body off started as a brake job

On the Steeroids, not sure if they have stronger brackets now, but you might want to check the forums on the brackets being beefed up. I heard some have had cracking issues in the past. It might have been a different brand, but better safe than sorry.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:20 AM
SteveCurry
Racer

Are the heads you have straight or angled plugs? If it's straight plugs. then you should be fine. I'm not sure if angled would work though.

My body off started as a brake job

On the Steeroids, not sure if they have stronger brackets now, but you might want to check the forums on the brackets being beefed up. I heard some have had cracking issues in the past. It might have been a different brand, but better safe than sorry.
Yep, straight plug (I had to check). on the brake job!!! I understand how that goes.

Thanks for the tip on the Steeroids bracket, I'll check into it!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:57 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

I figured I would through this video up for you guys with the Max Flow inserts on mine. I had a bad starter and now it's raining so I still haven't had a chance to go out for a ride.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

I bought the Steeroids rack and pinion kit for my car so I know I'll have to clearance the #1 tube for the steering rod heim joint.
If you have the newer bracket (the beefed up one) then you may not have to do anything to #1 tube as they changed the angle a bit.
If you have the older style bracket like Mike80 was talking about then GET THE NEWER BRACKET. Mine was cracked in multiple areas.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I figured I would through this video up for you guys with the Max Flow inserts on mine. I had a bad starter and now it's raining so I still haven't had a chance to go out for a ride.

Hooker Stainless Steel Sidepipes with Max Flow Inserts/ Mufflers - YouTube
Looking and sounding Sweet Nice setup in the garage too.

Eric

Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76
Looking and sounding Sweet Nice setup in the garage too.

Eric

Thanks! Figures we're having rain all weekend so I can't go for a ride. Yeah, I'm liking the Kwiklift.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks! Figures we're having rain all weekend so I can't go for a ride. Yeah, I'm liking the Kwiklift.
Well being the kind of guy I am in the brotherhood of Corvette sidepipe owners and future ones OP I'll removed the T-tops and go for a drive, lunch and cruise down A1A for you
Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

looks and sounds great Mike
Old 03-30-2014, 02:17 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by qwank
looks and sounds great Mike
Thanks buddy Sorry you didn't get my other headers, but it all went to a good home of a 72 convertible
Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Steve, I did not have time to get yours built before leaving town on 3/25 & I was at a trade show all week - got in late last night. I should have yours finished tomorrow & they will ship on Tuesday. Sorry for the delay.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:14 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

Originally Posted by tektrans
If you have the newer bracket (the beefed up one) then you may not have to do anything to #1 tube as they changed the angle a bit.
If you have the older style bracket like Mike80 was talking about then GET THE NEWER BRACKET. Mine was cracked in multiple areas.
Thanks for the info! I bought the kit at the end of '13. Sounds good on the #1 tube, anything that makes it less of a PIA is always good!

Sounds great, Mike, the exhaust tone and the cam!!! How's the interior noise?

Last edited by SteveCurry; 04-02-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:15 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

Originally Posted by Chambered
Steve, I did not have time to get yours built before leaving town on 3/25 & I was at a trade show all week - got in late last night. I should have yours finished tomorrow & they will ship on Tuesday. Sorry for the delay.
Thanks, looking forward to getting them!!

Eric, I just got a tracking notice from Fed Ex, thanks!

Last edited by SteveCurry; 04-02-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:34 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Thanks for the info! I bought the kit at the end of '13. Sounds good on the #1 tube, anything that makes it less of a PIA is always good!

Thanks Steve! It rained all weekend so no ride yet...and I'm out of town on business now, so hopefully I get a chance to go out for a cruise this weekend.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

I finally went for a ride and took the GoPro, but the video came out a little messed up. The video is slowed down and jumpy. I took the video with the windows up, and the sound is there, so you get the idea of how it sounds. Next chance I get I'll try making a better one. The SD card was formatted for another camera, so that's probably what caused the video issue. It's kinda long, but I get on it at the start, hit the highway in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear, then a couple back roads. And when I got home I noticed my right hood latch popped open on me, just didn't latch it good. And yeah, it's pretty loud, but sounds good.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:22 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

video is private

Get notified of new replies

To Headers and Side pipes Ordered

Old 04-06-2014, 08:31 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

video is private
Sorry about that...It should be good now.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

those sound awesome!!!!

I hope mine sound that good when I'm done
Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

those sound awesome!!!!

I hope mine sound that good when I'm done
Thanks man! Sucks my video came out slowed down. In the first scene that I get on it, I took it up to about 85 or so and it looks like I'm doing 50.

How much progress have you made with yours? Which mufflers you going with?

Quick Reply: Headers and Side pipes Ordered