Sponsored by:

Headers and Side pipes Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by B Carson
No problem guys, I enjoy the conversations.

I think I'm going with STS baffles. I spoke to Jim (owner) today and he is on vacation and will be returning on March 31. So will have to wait to place my order which is OK because it is still below freezing here in eastern Ontario, Canada.

Glad to hear the Holley is having the headers made in the USA.
Let me know how you like the STS baffles. A video would be nice. I was afraid they might be too tinny sounding. Here's a couple videos of a buddy of mines vette with the Hooker Max Flow inserts.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headers arrived today. One day after ordering!! I assume the side pipes come in a separate box? Maybe they'll be here tomorrow?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by SteveCurry
The headers arrived today. One day after ordering!! I assume the side pipes come in a separate box? Maybe they'll be here tomorrow?
Yeah, my headers, side pipes, and mufflers are coming in 3 boxes, getting them tomorrow. 1 day, that's fast!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:18 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I have Hooker stainless steel side pipes that have been on the car for 4 years. I do once in a while polish them with a buffer to bring them back to like new. They do turn a little gold color some times.My inserts are STS type and they do sound a little tiny at idle, they are not drilled out and at high way speeds you cant hear anyone talking to you on the cell phone, That sometimes is good...
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
I have Hooker stainless steel side pipes that have been on the car for 4 years. I do once in a while polish them with a buffer to bring them back to like new. They do turn a little gold color some times.My inserts are STS type and they do sound a little tiny at idle, they are not drilled out and at high way speeds you cant hear anyone talking to you on the cell phone, That sometimes is good...
Dean, Buying a set of your sidepipe shields is on my list.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:21 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE80
Wise Investment
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

I received all my shipments from SummitRacing last night. I'll probably do the install tomorrow. Here's a picture of the inside of the Max Flow inserts. I might also get a set of the VettePacks for times I want a more quiet ride.

Last edited by MIKE80; 03-21-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Dream Theater Fan
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 31 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C3 of the Year Winner

I would HIGHLY suggest getting the heat shields when you can afford to do so. Myself and others experienced the "Hooker tattoos". Definitely get them from Bangkok Dean, great guy and great product.
I have the sweet thunder inserts in mine and they sound great.

Last edited by Dream Theater Fan; 03-21-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:36 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

Dean, do you have shields that are plain, no designs? I'd like to have the shields look as close as possible to just being the side pipes.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:51 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Dean, do you have shields that are plain, no designs? I'd like to have the shields look as close as possible to just being the side pipes.

We have you covered.....PM sent
Old 03-22-2014, 07:15 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Steel Shields Plain and Simple design

Old 03-22-2014, 07:23 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

[QUOTE=MIKE80;1586458651]I received all my shipments from SummitRacing last night. I'll probably do the install tomorrow. Here's a picture of the inside of the Max Flow inserts. I might also get a set of the VettePacks for times I want a more quiet ride.

I started with the Max Flow's and they sounded incredible at idle and revving without a load but under load they just kept the same super deep low bass tone throughout the entire rpm range with my engine. Before switching to the vettepacks I wrapped the max flow's with header wrap that did two things. It got rid of a rattle I had on the passenger side (not the wife ) and it dropped the outside temp of the tubes. I used an IR gun and after a 20-30 minute drive while running in the garage the temp was 95-100 maybe 105 in the area of the tube where your leg might touch if you weren't paying attention. About the same as the chrome trim on the top of the doors where the window gasket is located and if you've come on and put your arm on that badboy after it sat in the sun for a while that would be about the same temp and feel. Not enough to peel skin anyway.

Just thought I would share my experience in case you wanted to give it a try. The downside might be the same effect header wrap has on header tubes with premature corrosion and rot but maybe not since there is material between the exhaust inner tube and outer.

Eric

Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

[QUOTE=palmbeachvette76;1586466442]
I received all my shipments from SummitRacing last night. I'll probably do the install tomorrow. Here's a picture of the inside of the Max Flow inserts. I might also get a set of the VettePacks for times I want a more quiet ride.

I started with the Max Flow's and they sounded incredible at idle and revving without a load but under load they just kept the same super deep low bass tone throughout the entire rpm range with my engine. Before switching to the vettepacks I wrapped the max flow's with header wrap that did two things. It got rid of a rattle I had on the passenger side (not the wife ) and it dropped the outside temp of the tubes. I used an IR gun and after a 20-30 minute drive while running in the garage the temp was 95-100 maybe 105 in the area of the tube where your leg might touch if you weren't paying attention. About the same as the chrome trim on the top of the doors where the window gasket is located and if you've come on and put your arm on that badboy after it sat in the sun for a while that would be about the same temp and feel. Not enough to peel skin anyway.

Just thought I would share my experience in case you wanted to give it a try. The downside might be the same effect header wrap has on header tubes with premature corrosion and rot but maybe not since there is material between the exhaust inner tube and outer.

Eric

Thanks for the tip on the header wraps. Did you notice any change in performance when you switched inserts? Btw, congrats on the Meguiar award
Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

[QUOTE=MIKE80;1586466640]
Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76

Thanks for the tip on the header wraps. Did you notice any change in performance when you switched inserts? Btw, congrats on the Meguiar award
There wasn't a noticeable difference. They both have a 2.5" flow path so performance should be the same. Big difference was the exhaust tone/note. Volume is within a decibel of being the same between the two. If the Vettepacks are quieter, it's not by much. Either way you'll be saving lives with loud pipes

Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
We have you covered.....PM sent
I'll be ordering this weekend, thanks!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:01 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76
Steel Shields Plain and Simple design

Super sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I want on mine!

The Vettepacks on your car sound amazing!!! And I like the idea of having the quieter ride at highway speeds. Oh, and congrats on the award from me as well!

Last edited by SteveCurry; 03-22-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:21 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Got mine in this weekend!

Get notified of new replies

To Headers and Side pipes Ordered

Old 03-23-2014, 07:40 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

Got mine in this weekend!

They look great!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

They look great!
Thanks! Here's a couple of other photos I took.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:48 PM
SteveCurry
Racer

Thanks! Here's a couple of other photos I took.

Super nice, Mike!!!

How was the header flange fit to the heads? All the bolt holes line up? Did you get the Hooker quality you expected (mine are still in the boxes)? Are you going to have to trim the rocker panel? And lastly, how do they sound with your mufflers!?

Man, I want the bottom of my car to look as good as yours. Mine is getting its first cleaning and paint since 1970. It's freaking dirty and nasty under there!

Quick Reply: Headers and Side pipes Ordered