C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 C3 on eBay: What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

TLSVette, It is common for 68's to have stress cracks by the headlight/hood corner, because GM did not realize how heavy the headlight assemblies were on the fiberglass. They added a bunch of braces in the end of 68/early 69 to stop the cracking. My late March 68 coupe did not have any of the braces and the radiator support rod and it cracked. Lou.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TLSVette
Thanks for the quick responses - I knew I wouldn't be disappointed joining this group.

My total purchase price is for $14,900.00. I did all of my diligence before bidding, and am willing to forfeit the $500.00 if I absolutely must, but would fight it if the engine numbers were not matching as I checked on that before the bid.

After doing some research last night, I did notice the "Stingray" decals are not original. Had no clue about the passenger side mirror - is that legal to drive without one? If so, in time, that will go. I do want to bring this closer if not all the way as possible to a complete 1968 "original" restoration, and I have the funds to do so as long as it doesn't mount up to the cost of a brand new Vette. I also have the time and patience to do so, but I don't have the experience. I'd like to find a local shop or join a local group (in Dallas, TX) to learn and shadow and eventually work with on the more heavy mechanical issues. The main reason I'm finally making this jump to what I would say is my dream car (although a 1967 would be more ideal, it's a bit more pricey) is that I laid down my motorcycle and decided to hang up the helmet for good.

Once again, thanks, gents. I'll let you know what progress I make in my research and checklists!

Just an FYI, Ebay "vehicle" sales along with a few others are "non binding" contracts. You may lose the deposit ( My guy refused to even pay that and backed out) but the balance is not recoverable from the seller if you did decide to back out for whatever reason.

congrats on the 68! You'll love that L79. Welcome to the club!

Last edited by avalonjohn; 03-25-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 AM
ryanmh
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLSVette
Mechanic said the brake lines are contaminated and need to be flushed. I told him I wanted to buy new lines instead and replace it all. Cost was $2k for parts and labor without the metal lines. Do you guys have a good idea where I can buy the parts, both rubber and metal?
My suggestion: Talk to another mechanic. The most common issue is that the rubber lines go bad and often need to be replaced. The rubber lines are $30 a set at almost any Corvette supplier and should not take long to replace at all.

$2,000 ought to be enough for a full-on all new calipers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, and steel trailing arm lines, with a little magic pixie dust sprinkled on top for good measure. Those parts are about a grand, with labor about in the same ballpark. But hopefully that's what you meant by "replace it all" and not just replace all the rubber lines.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:43 PM
TLSVette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanmh
My suggestion: Talk to another mechanic. The most common issue is that the rubber lines go bad and often need to be replaced. The rubber lines are $30 a set at almost any Corvette supplier and should not take long to replace at all.

$2,000 ought to be enough for a full-on all new calipers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, and steel trailing arm lines, with a little magic pixie dust sprinkled on top for good measure. Those parts are about a grand, with labor about in the same ballpark. But hopefully that's what you meant by "replace it all" and not just replace all the rubber lines.
Exactly what I meant; I was thinking of going with the braided stainless lines - thoughts? Any reason I should try to do this on my own with no experience or should I just pay a mechanic? I don't know any "classic car" mechanics in the Dallas area...
Old 03-27-2014, 08:22 PM
pacecar620
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Speedometer replaced during 'restoration'?" Oops. Too much "Bubba restoration" there for my peace of mind. 'Fraid I'd have had to walk on that one. May be a great long-term project though. I just hope for your sake that you didn't purchase a money pit, or at least you have an escape on the deal. If you DO take it home, it's your baby. Enjoy it. Love it. And welcome aboard.
UPDATE: Oopsie! My bad. I didn't read the entire thread. I see that "Red" has a new home and hope he/she turns out to be the dream you wished for and not a nightmare. Congratulations and welcome to Corvette-dom!

Last edited by pacecar620; 03-27-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:48 PM
TLSVette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been a month now

Car's been in the shop for a complete break restoration, U-Joint replacement and a few minor things. The Tie Rods need to be replaced next but I bought a Steering Kit on Eckler's and a buddy and I will be doing this ourselves. After that, new tires and wheels (any recommendations for a 1968 C3 for performance are welcome - I won't restore fully until and unless I am ready to sell and move on to the 1967, which won't be for a while). The tires have dry rotted and the tie rod on the front left wheel is problematic. Once that's done, I will slowly milk a few things here and there in the following order over the next few years, and just drive it for fun from here on out:

- Replace rearview mirrors with factory chrome mirrors
- Fix the sun visor (rusted connection and it keeps falling down so I removed it for now)
- Work on the stereo wiring (it was overloading the battery and we disconnected)
- remove exhaust pipes and replace with original side exhaust system
- New air intake, aluminum headers
- Struts, shocks, power steering pump, rear hub assembly

By the way, I am COMPLETELY in love with her - named her Vanessa. Thanks for all the help guys and if you have any recommendations for anything above, please feel free to let me know!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:29 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on your Corvette purchase! Your car would not have come from the factory with a side exhaust system.

Last edited by early shark; 04-23-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO,

For a numbers-matching 2-top '68 roadster that runs and drives, you got a very good deal...enjoy her and the journey of C# ownership!

Quick Reply: 1968 C3 on eBay: What do I need to know?