C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 C3 on eBay: What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 PM
rmendoza
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Default If you got the money!

Originally Posted by F22
Mike, that car will be there on June 2014! We just have to see into the future (hint: photo dates!). It should hit the 'bay, by at least 06/03/2014.

On the mirrors, as pointed out, they are not stock. Standard was the drivers side and the passenger side was optional equipment, so if you want to return it to stock you'll have to replace them both and hope the door skin was not damaged by the buba who put those on. All the guys have pointed everything that I see and I agree.

You say that time and money is not a problems, so as long is this is your forever car, fine because you may be to the point that you will never get your money investment back.

Have them make a copy of the title and email it to you. Check the Odometer Reading space on it. Does it have the mileage number recorded on it on the title date.......or........does it say "Mileage Exempt"? Documented mileage on the title (important have them sign that certification signature, very important to you) is good. Mileage Exempt or Exempt means the mileage is not certified and will go on your title.

The average price for a '68 with that engine in very good condition is about $25K. Before I forget, in one of the pictures I saw a removable hardtop up against the wall. Make sure you get that with your car for that price. Average good top is about $1,000 and came run depending on excellence to $1500 and more. Even when most people don't use them they can add at least that amount to you car. They're are plenty of them for sale, but no one will ship so make sure your get that one and don't worry about the year '68-'75 will fit. You can ask him for the date code in the glass and get an idea when the top was built.

Similiar to your situation and to give you a little insight. In Nov I bought a '68 Rally Red Roadster, L-79 327cu 350 HT horsepower, 4 spd Close Ratio nunbers matching vette on Ebay. I paid $23,600 for it. I drove 1550 RT mi from Colorado Springs CO to Fayetteville AR. The ebay add was the most comprehensively detailed than I have ever seen. Pictures of front, back, both sides and on rack underneath. Engine compartment and interior were flawless but a couple of fiberglass issues were also photoed and pointed out. He had a walk around video on YouTube and in his add he documented with photos the numbers matching engravings, and tags. He listed the numbers matching items such as the alternater, radiator, trans, rear end by part number. While the title had mileage listed as "Exempt" He also provided sales and odometer certification documentation dating back to owners through 1997. I have personally contacted the previous owners through '97 and all have verified the mileage, but before '97 I don't know yet, so I haved to state that it is 76,872 uncertified miles.

It's a great car and I love it, but I still have money to spend on it. There is $8,600 between the price that you paid and what I paid. Depending on what you must invest to get it stock original, this is a good example of what your car will be and how much will have to spend and what you will end up with.

Keep my PM: rickmendoza@comcast.com

If your working on it and if you need pictures, I'll take them and send them to you. Here is my '68. Good Luck rick

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...ter-23710.html

Last edited by rmendoza; 03-11-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Picture link
Old 03-11-2014, 06:01 PM
TLSVette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson
Atlanta is only an hour away. See if you can find a Corvette veteran to take a look.

I got in touch with the NCRS chapter that was local and paid to have it inspected. It was worth it.
Great idea, I called the Atlanta area NCRS chapter member and for $300 he will go out and inspect it and do an NCRS checklist on it. He's reviewing the photos and going to let me know market value based on what he sees and knows, and what it could ultimately be worth. I didn't realize the 1968 was the ugly redheaded stepchild of the C1 to C3 range, but hey, I'll take her if that's what ugly is.

That is the correct eBay listing, by the way.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:08 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 600 Likes on 486 Posts

LOL it's unique that's all.

As Alan asked if you plan on restoring it to NCRS specs it could be costly. If you just want a good solid driver that's another.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 PM
TLSVette
Cruising

Originally Posted by rmendoza

It's a great car and I love it, but I still have money to spend on it. There is $8,600 between the price that you paid and what I paid. Depending on what you must invest to get it stock original, this is a good example of what your car will be and how much will have to spend and what you will end up with.

Keep my PM: rickmendoza@comcast.com
Rick,

I tried e-mailing you and got a bounceback.

I am looking to do a slow and steady restoration to close to original specs, and excited about the opportunity. I will be driving for fun in good weather in between.

What would you expect to pay for a complete new paint job to match original color?

The odometer is EXEMPT. So I can ask him for a signed copy of his mileage since 1996? He has had it since then, and put 750 miles on it; his brother owned it for over a decade before that (since 1979 or 1980). No idea who the original owner was but I could find out. He claims it was 58,000 or so when they changed the odometer out.

Hard top and soft top come with the vehicle, as well as the original transmission that needs to be rebuilt. The Atlanta NCRS guy said to expect $250 for a rebuild kit or up to 1k if it needs a whole restoration. I am comfortable with that to get it back to Muncie.

Thanks for your response - it makes me feel a lot better about the situation, especially if things check out with the NCRS chapter VP's email and then later in person inspections,
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Ret.Horsecop13
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 PM
rmendoza
Instructor

Default Sorry

Originally Posted by TLSVette
Rick,

I am looking to do a slow and steady restoration to close to original specs, and excited about the opportunity. I will be driving for fun in good weather in between.

What would you expect to pay for a complete new paint job to match original color?

The odometer is EXEMPT. So I can ask him for a signed copy of his mileage since 1996? He has had it since then, and put 750 miles on it; his brother owned it for over a decade before that (since 1979 or 1980). No idea who the original owner was but I could find out. He claims it was 58,000 or so when they changed the odometer out.

Hard top and soft top come with the vehicle, as well as the original transmission that needs to be rebuilt. The Atlanta NCRS guy said to expect $250 for a rebuild kit or up to 1k if it needs a whole restoration. I am comfortable with that to get it back to Muncie.

Thanks for your response - it makes me feel a lot better about the situation, especially if things check out with the NCRS chapter VP's email and then later in person inspections,
It's .net not .com......rickmendoza@comcast.net
Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 PM
rmendoza
Instructor

Default Odometer

Rick,

Different states may have different rules, but the Arkansas Title had "Exempt" on the mileage, so they would not honor the odometer reading as "Actual Mileage". She said the only way is if Arkansas would issue an ammendment to the title concerning the Odometer reading and since the car started in NJ, then to NY, then to TN, then to AR, the trail of ammendments would be unattainable. Through contact with previous owners, I validated mileage back to '97 with Jim Glass Corvettesl of Kingston NY going to check his archive files to see what he can find. I can only share what I've got to verifiy the mileage, but the Title will always read "Exempt" thus casting a shadow on the odometer reading.

BTW - I just bought a '82 Collector Edition, so I now have the First and Last year C3. It was originally built for Purifoy Chevrolet in Ft Lupton CO and found it's way to CA. It is now back in CA. We made sure with the CO DMV that the Actual miles would transfer from the CA title to the CO Title. This was a 2 owner car with the guy I bought it from purchasing it in '87 with 47,000mi on it. It now has 54,345 mi. From 2001 to present it has only been driven 1,290 miles all verified through CARFAX and the Title. The owner gave me the original window sticker, Tank sticker and Owner's manual

Again good luck. rick
Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I'm kinda thinking that's one hell of a deal. Would be nice to see an engine compartment pic!

I'd feel pretty good with an authority saying it is hard to say if it is worth 15, 30, 45K or more and I paid 14.9,
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I didn't realize the 1968 was the ugly redheaded stepchild of the C1 to C3 range...
They aren't to us '68 owners. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
They aren't to us '68 owners. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
He oughta try owning a C4!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:08 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Great idea, I called the Atlanta area NCRS chapter member and for $300 he will go out and inspect it and do an NCRS checklist on it. He's reviewing the photos and going to let me know market value based on what he sees and knows, and what it could ultimately be worth. I didn't realize the 1968 was the ugly redheaded stepchild of the C1 to C3 range, but hey, I'll take her if that's what ugly is.

That is the correct eBay listing, by the way.
Well, ugly red headed stepchild is a little severe, but there were problems that were unique to '68's. Many of which were corrected by GM for the '69 model, but some took time to identify. Ask the person who is doing your inspection to go over these specific items with you.

As others have correctly pointed out, frame, birdcage and rust should be your primary concern. Don't forget electrical as well.
Securing a qualified person to thoroughly inspect your car will be your smartest decision, plus, you'll find it an educating process. Good luck.

Ps. Just looked at the eBay ad, didn't notice if anyone else mentioned the big block hood on the small block car..
Why the swap? Accident?

Last edited by seacliffe301; 03-12-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

A few other things besides what others have pointed out, it has a 69 windshield wiper door vacuum canister, the smaller size as shown came in mid 1969. It also looks like a rattle can gloss black paint to the engine bay and the vac canister. That will not pass NCRS standards.

Also interesting ground wire to the radiator shroud.

The flaps that go over the front rocker arms that should be attached to the inner fender are missing.

As others have said looks like over spray in a bunch of areas, but it could be just reflections on some areas.

Still looks like an OK deal depending on rust as others have said. Also check the convertible top frame and top. The frame can be expensive to rebuild and since no pics with the top up, I would assume it is in need.

Last edited by RobRace10; 03-12-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:55 PM
TLSVette
Cruising

The more information the better, and you guys are killing it for me - much appreciated.

I found out some more information today:

Vehicle was not in an accident while the current owner has owned it (since 1996) but he can tell there was a little body work done. No idea what happened. The inspector took a look at photos and suspects they replaced the hood for looks. The rear end has the correct codes, the old transmission was sitting outside and the casing looks fine but he has no idea of the inside. They replaced the transmission because the shifter was loose and they were trying to replace a clutch. They originally had chrome laker pipes but removed them and put on the rusted exhaust you see in the photos attached. These are the four additional underneath photos I was provided yesterday.

I have a friend on a motorcycle trip out there right now that's going to take a look and report back, and the NCRS guy going to inspect on Friday. Will report back with what he comes up with...
Attached Images       
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

From these pics, it's missing the headlight shields, front spoiler/ air deflector, front license plate holder and rear license plate light. Has aftermarket starter, frame looks very good, but still need to see the frame kickups in front of the rear wheels, that is where most frame rust is the worst in cars that have seen salt etc.

Overspray etc, so front end has been painted and my guess some front end damage at one point with the missing parts.

Last edited by RobRace10; 03-12-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 AM
staplehead
Instructor

Default who cares

Originally Posted by jaxlt1
Maybe it's my eyes, but I see red overspray everywhere.
Overspray on a 45 year old car. What do you drive and how old are u
Old 03-13-2014, 12:21 AM
staplehead
Instructor

Default c4

Originally Posted by F22
He oughta try owning a C4!
anything other than a C1, C2 or C 3, forget about it no resale value. End of story .money pits. C123 investments.!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 AM
TLSVette
Cruising

Had a friend randomly in the area on a motorcycle trip take a few more photos, here's the original transmission, the old parts that were removed (mirrors), the hard top, and the color tag:
Attached Images       

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 C3 on eBay: What do I need to know?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

What kind of idiot, would stack a convertible top on the floor like that, with no protection whatsover underneath!!!

And they painted, right over the Trim Tag! Aaak! It would've taken ten seconds to mask that off, with some blue painters tape and a razorblade. We have a shop and we thoroughly respect the cars that are in there. We don't lean on em, don't touch the paint on them and are very, very careful. Forgive me, but stuff like that, just pisses me off. Rant over!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by staplehead
anything other than a C1, C2 or C 3, forget about it no resale value. End of story .money pits. C123 investments.!
You're right, but I love my C4, nonetheless ('95). It is a far smoother, more comfortable car than my '74 and over the eight years I've owned it, has consumed 1/10th the money my '74 has! It is nearly twenty years old and still looks brand new. I don't care what's it worth. The late C4's are a bargain and the 300hp LT1 is a decent motor too.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
You're right, but I love my C4, nonetheless ('95). It is a far smoother, more comfortable car than my '74 and over the eight years I've owned it, has consumed 1/10th the money my '74 has! It is nearly twenty years old and still looks brand new. I don't care what's it worth. The late C4's are a bargain and the 300hp LT1 is a decent motor too.

Agree! had a 93 LT1, C4's are great regardless of what the Corvettes snobs say. Had a friend that had a 69 set up for autocross, lots of upgrades, mods, ect. A friend of his offered to let him run autocross with his brand new 84 right out of the box, straight factory. The guy with the 69 beat his best time in the 69 with the 84 on the second lap.
One day, the C4 will be more appreciated.

Quick Reply: 1968 C3 on eBay: What do I need to know?