Sponsored by:

dead battery in 10-12 hours

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Blame
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead battery in 10-12 hours

I need help my fellow brothers and sister. About a month a go my vette was put down till I could fix a non electrical problem. The battery was never once touched.

Will I got the problem fix but for some odd reason my battery is being drain by something. I am not sure how it started. Before my half shift broke it was fine. After that it started to bleed out power. There are only 3 wire on my junction block, the battery wire, starter wire, and my new ac electric fan wire. (The new fans where install 3 months before the battery started to lose it charge)

Any help would be nice
Old 03-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Blame
Pro

On Sunday ill have the battery tested to see if it kicked the bucket.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:13 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's either a bad battery or something is draining the battery. You're doing the best thing by getting the battery checked. However, you might want to make sure there is nothing draining your battery because even a new battery will go bad pretty quick if it's discharged and left there for very long.

It's easy to check for something draining it. Put an ammeter (VOM in amps mode) between the positive post on the battery and the positive cable. Don't try to start the car or anything because you will toast the VOM and or it's wires. Make sure you close the door and keep the ignition off. See if you get any type of reading.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blame
On Sunday ill have the battery tested to see if it kicked the bucket.
Best way to diagnose a battery draw is to first remove the positive battery cable and place a test light between the battery cable and the battery terminal. Make sure EVERYTHING is turned off on the car, including the dome lights and ignition switch. If the test light lights up, you have a drain, if it doesn't light up you probable have a bad battery.

If the test light does light up and you have a draw, then you can pull fuses one at a time until the test light goes out. This procedure will help you to narrow down which circuit the draw is on. Then you can look at a wiring diagram to see what items are on that circuit to help find the draw.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Blame
Pro

Originally Posted by Pete79L82
Best way to diagnose a battery draw is to first remove the positive battery cable and place a test light between the battery cable and the battery terminal. Make sure EVERYTHING is turned off on the car, including the dome lights and ignition switch. If the test light lights up, you have a drain, if it doesn't light up you probable have a bad battery.

If the test light does light up and you have a draw, then you can pull fuses one at a time until the test light goes out. This procedure will help you to narrow down which circuit the draw is on. Then you can look at a wiring diagram to see what items are on that circuit to help find the draw.

Or do what I just did. Took it to the part store had it tested. It failed got a new battery now. I love warranty
Old 03-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Blame
Pro

It a 2 year old battery not sure why it would go bad but it does happen. Thank god I dont have to break my back tracking down a power leech.

Ill post here if my hope turns out false and it was a power leech. But for now new free battery and a sunny day drive time.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:16 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete79L82

Great advice. Many of us know of this test for a parasitic draw..but for those who don't, it is valuable and useful information to know.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:27 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts

Put on a battery disconnect so when it sits, a quick flix of the switch eliminates any drain.

Get notified of new replies

To dead battery in 10-12 hours

Quick Reply: dead battery in 10-12 hours