Sponsored by:

Need help on this 1981 vette

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbyH
I would want to see the paperwork on that before I believed it if I were trading to make sure it was actually the 295HP version and not the stock 195HP version.

Bob
Crate engine are rated in gross HP. Installed engines from '71ish onwards are rated in net HP. Big difference.

The 300HP crate engine might have less power than the L82 used in '80.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 PM
tommygjohnson
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice Mike. Definitely something to bring up when I look at the car.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:18 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

I'd do the trade. As with most, I almost have that in my 81 and it's still not running. It does have about 2K in new parts and a new L48 motor w/ new top end and a high dollar paint job.
I have a 74 Super Beetle Convertible here in Tx that I cant get rid of. Of course, it's the old "cant get what you got in to it thing" and my wife wont let me sell it too cheap. I have over 12K in it.....
Old 03-04-2014, 01:32 PM
tommygjohnson
Cruising

The deal is done. I have left the VW cult and apparently now joined the Corvette cult...haha.

The car is solid underneath with no rust to speak of. The engine, as I said is a Summit Racing crate 350. There is no AC as they took it out when installing the new engine but no worries as the Bug didn't have it either. The paint job is a 15 footer but really not bad for the original paint. I broke something already too...haha. I was closing the door after making a stop on my first cruise with it and the armrest came loose. I have to look but I think it's an easy fix without having to order new ones. power mirrors don't work, not sure what that may be yet. Power windows are ok but the passenger side is a little finicky. relay or something isn't making good contact I believe. All the gauges work though it doesn't seem that the gauge lights work. No radio but that will be remedied before driving weather. Can't cruise without some 80's rock blasting....haha. T-tops are in good condition... Rubber is in ok condition but have a new rubber kit if things start to leak...though I don't plan on taking it out in the rain. It needs a little attention to make it great but it's a very good car.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 PM
maverickmk
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 186 Posts

Awesome, good for you. Welcome to the dark side
Old 03-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Vettes Rule
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 01:51 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good trade! Enjoy the car, as for the numbers matching thing and original stuff, 81’s are a bit unique in that they are the only year vette that was built in two locations, St. Louis and Bowling Green. Several differences between the cars built at each plant, but for me the bottom line is there were over 40,000 of them built. I doubt they’ll really be collectable in my lifetime, but to find one low mileage unmolested is pretty cool, and I’d love to have one. Not enough however to prevent me from all the mods I’ve done on mine that was an original car with 65,000 miles on it when I bought it....

Quick Reply: Need help on this 1981 vette