Sponsored by:

Good Buy or Good Bye...68 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 11:43 PM
hail to R3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Buy or Good Bye...68 coupe

I just purchased a 68 coupe for $3900. I am a fairly new member, though I don't post often, I often visit the forums and am an avid reader. Looking for some advise on this car. I am a first time Vette buyer and lifetime admirer.

It is a mid year 68 with NOM small block with auto. Needs door panels, and dash pad. Also needs rocker panels and has fiber glass damage around headlights and missing grilles. It has power steering, A/C, and pop out rear glass. I read the 10 rules to buying a C3 and found this one local in TN. Dang near rust free, don't even plan on doing a frame off (yeah it as that good) and bird cage is extremely solid along with all the chrome trim. Missing one body mount bushing but all mounts look
and feel amazing. Have everything else...bumpers, small block hood, seats, consoles and all the stuff I can think of right now.

I am not a purist, so the NOM doesn't bother me and will eventually be upgrading the car to a BB 4speed with side pipes and a stinger hood (just like the way it looks). But do now my goal is to have a running, driving and presentable dream car I can call my own. All of the work is within my or a friends abilities. Trying to get the presentable daily for less than another $8-10k, is it possible?

I value everyone's opinion and enjoy learning new things. I would like to know if I should sell and cut my losses or keep her for ever. And would like to know an estimated value of the car to know if I got taken or stole it or somewhere in between.

Last edited by hail to R3; 02-16-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:01 AM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Methinks you're right on the edge of break-even here. From a sentimental perspective I'd rather see the car brought back than parted out and I think you could get there within the stated budget. The one issue with '68s is that there are numerous parts that are peculiar to 1968 only which can make certain items very hard to get if they're missing...but I say jump in and do it.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Here is my 1975 I sold in January 2013 for about what you spent on your 68. I pulled it out of a barn along with close to another C3 in parts for $900 and it had sat since 1979. Somebody had tried to restore it multiple times before I found it.

I was going to turn it into a driver and slowly turn it into a restored car over time, but I just became way too busy and overloaded with projects. So I sold it to a guy who had a tornado cause his garage to collapse on top of his 68. He bought my 75 and parts for the purpose of trying to fix his 68. I was kinda sad to see it was going to be parted out, but at the end of the day I needed it gone and I had extra money in my pocket. So why share this with you? Well, for the money I would take your 68, even though my 75 was rare (less than about 300 cars were built like mine, and it had 3,700 miles on it) I like the early C3s best. Thats why I still own my 72 after all of the vettes I have owned. As long as you can re use as much of whats already there, I would say that you could really turn that into a nicer looking driver 68. I would say that if the 68 was my car, I would buy a new 1 piece front end for $1,500 and have it put on. By doing so, it would really add value in my opinion. But you can fix the front end damage and replace the grills for probably much less. Anyways, I say you ought to just dig in. For the price, and being a 68…doubt you can find another 68 for the price for what it is. Best of Luck!

Last edited by Brandons72vette; 02-16-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:56 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 68

First of all congradualtions on your 1st Corvette. I remember mine a 1977 under a pine tree, flat tires, dead battery. After about 15 grand she was close to what I wanted. I am estimating the same for yours. I replaced my engine, and counting body work, paint, interior and other misc parts, wheels and tires budget was blown but 20 years later she still sits pretty in my garage. You will learn so much more by this restoration but you will also learn one restoration is enough.
Richard
Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Seems like you bought it right. Even if you parted it you would easily get your money back based on the assumption that many of the one year only parts are still with the car. I don't see how you will be within your budget if you bring it back to life though. Body work, paint, interior, mechanicals and all of the things you don't see now plus all of the "while I am at it" items will take you past your budget quickly. If you want a car you built and will gain a lot of knowledge and have fun while doing so then go for it. There is nothing like starting and seeing it through to the finish. If you are looking for a driver buy one you can drive now.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by hail to R3
...I would like to know if I should sell and cut my losses or keep her for ever...
You're the only person who can answer that question.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 02-17-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:21 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I think you did just fine. I agree with your view on NOM, just be aware that it'll affect the resale value though an NOM big block with sidepipes may just negate that

I think your budget is just doable as long as you don't get any surprises along the way. Paint, dash pad, door panels and grills will eat all of $10k without effort. The needed body work doesn't look too extensive. From a budget perspective, my concern would be those surprises, especially with a 68. As mentioned above, 68 specific parts can be hard to find and expensive.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Many dream cars have turned into finacial and emotional nightmares. Do you have the time and skills to restore this car without spending very much for labor? If so make a list of the parts you will need to buy and what a big block and trans will cost you. Be realistic and include the "little things". Then add at least 25% to that. Then you can decide if you should keep it or sell it. If you do keep it you will realize it will take longer and cost more than you thought it would. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Jasonb86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Converting to a 4-speed will also be a pretty expensive endeavor, as well as putting back in stock headlights. Personally, I would see if there are any cherry parts from the car you can keep, any sell the rest to break even. I don't know the market for '68's needing a full resto is, that may or may not be an option.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

A question for those who mention the '68 only parts. Are these just '68 only parts to make a "correct '68"? Can other year parts that function but are not "correct" be used to make a driver? IE, I know that 68's have 68 only door panels but would other years fit?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:58 AM
hail to R3
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Many dream cars have turned into finacial and emotional nightmares. Do you have the time and skills to restore this car without spending very much for labor? If so make a list of the parts you will need to buy and what a big block and trans will cost you. Be realistic and include the "little things". Then add at least 25% to that. Then you can decide if you should keep it or sell it. If you do keep it you will realize it will take longer and cost more than you thought it would. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Thanks, still making a list and checking it twice. I will be keeping the small block and trans for now. Once I have the car to daily driver condition I will then do BB and 4 speed swap. Already have a running 454 just for this purpose.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM
hail to R3
Advanced

Originally Posted by richard emmanuel
First of all congradualtions on your 1st Corvette. I remember mine a 1977 under a pine tree, flat tires, dead battery. After about 15 grand she was close to what I wanted. I am estimating the same for yours. I replaced my engine, and counting body work, paint, interior and other misc parts, wheels and tires budget was blown but 20 years later she still sits pretty in my garage. You will learn so much more by this restoration but you will also learn one restoration is enough.
Richard
Thank you, this helps.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:19 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I don't think you did too bad. $3,900 for a chrome bumper car in salvageable condition and a good basis for a restomod kind of car seems reasonable.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

These cars are money pits. Do it for the love of the car and the knowledge the process will give you. I believe the best way to save $$ is to make a plan and stick to it as best as you can. There will be surprises; there will be blood.
Have fun with the car. I think you did well, because the bumper cars are desirable. Time to bust some knuckles!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

An ambitious project..but rewarding.
Good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:47 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you did alright, especially for a car with minimal rust... I can see the $8-10k you mentioned getting eaten up in short order, good thing you and your buds are supplying the labor

Looking forward to seeing progress pics...and welcome to the 68 club
Old 02-16-2014, 12:54 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

It's not a good sign if you are already questioning yourself. BUT, you should be able to have a very good daily driver for another $10,000.

If you/friends do all the work/buy aftermarket parts rather than "genuine parts"/have a moderately priced paint job done, you will have a great-looking dependable car that would cost anyone else $30,000 to build........................

IF you quit second-guessing.

Get notified of new replies

To Good Buy or Good Bye...68 coupe

Old 02-16-2014, 01:22 PM
hail to R3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeff_Keryk
These cars are money pits. Do it for the love of the car and the knowledge the process will give you. I believe the best way to save $$ is to make a plan and stick to it as best as you can. There will be surprises; there will be blood.
Have fun with the car. I think you did well, because the bumper cars are desirable. Time to bust some knuckles!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Made a list of parts and got a plan. Already busted knuckles and bled for the car I love. That piece of trim got me pretty good, but worth it just to check the bird cage.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:31 PM
hail to R3
Advanced

Originally Posted by doorgunner
It's not a good sign if you are already questioning yourself. BUT, you should be able to have a very good daily driver for another $10,000.

If you/friends do all the work/buy aftermarket parts rather than "genuine parts"/have a moderately priced paint job done, you will have a great-looking dependable car that would cost anyone else $30,000 to build........................

IF you quit second-guessing.
Thanks for the reply and interest. I am done second guessing myself and am keeping this great car. I plan on using aftermarket parts to replace what is missing.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM
kjbuster1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default '68 restoration

Originally Posted by hail to R3
I just purchased a 68 coupe for $3900. I am a fairly new member, though I don't post often, I often visit the forums and am an avid reader. Looking for some advise on this car. I am a first time Vette buyer and lifetime admirer.

It is a mid year 68 with NOM small block with auto. Needs door panels, and dash pad. Also needs rocker panels and has fiber glass damage around headlights and missing grilles. It has power steering, A/C, and pop out rear glass. I read the 10 rules to buying a C3 and found this one local in TN. Dang near rust free, don't even plan on doing a frame off (yeah it as that good) and bird cage is extremely solid along with all the chrome trim. Missing one body mount bushing but all mounts look
and feel amazing. Have everything else...bumpers, small block hood, seats, consoles and all the stuff I can think of right now.

I am not a purist, so the NOM doesn't bother me and will eventually be upgrading the car to a BB 4speed with side pipes and a stinger hood (just like the way it looks). But do now my goal is to have a running, driving and presentable dream car I can call my own. All of the work is within my or a friends abilities. Trying to get the presentable daily for less than another $8-10k, is it possible?

I value everyone's opinion and enjoy learning new things. I would like to know if I should sell and cut my losses or keep her for ever. And would like to know an estimated value of the car to know if I got taken or stole it or somewhere in between.

I agree with "too slow '90" - I'd hope to keep the restoration cost under $15K Looking at your car you'll eat up the first $10K real quick.

Quick Reply: Good Buy or Good Bye...68 coupe