Sponsored by:

Updating alternator and wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:35 PM
2box
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updating alternator and wires

Do any of You guys know where the electric system in a 79 measures how much power the alternator should be putting out. Is there a load sensing wire anywhere in the system? I am trying to update the alternator and run bigger wire to starter and to ground, getting ready to upgrade the headlights and put in dual electric fans and a sound system. I want to make sure I don't just run wires without actually knowing what is involved. I have read through the MAD enterprises documents and I want to make sure all I need to do is run a bigger wire to starter and pick power from the alternator stud for all of the accessories. Thanks for the help
Old 02-08-2014, 03:09 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,207 Likes on 2,759 Posts

I don't know/think that using the alternator + lug is a good idea to power the accessories.

I have seen threads where a heavy gauge wire is added to the starter + lug and connected to an add-on fusebox mounted on the firewall...the accessories will get their power through individual relays from this fusebox. It prevents the original fusebox from being overloaded with all the new wiring.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here's my thoughts on what to do ... AND why....

Using the Alternator as a 'junction block' is NOT a good idea-especially hooking up large current drawing things like the fan.

The reason? When the fans start up - they pull a lot of current to get spinning. That big draw is not good for the alternator- I'm sure it will work- but will shorted it's life.

The battery is a much better place to power your accessories. Why? The battery does a couple of things rather than just turn the starter. It stabilizes the voltage- like when the fans start up- usually at idle-sitting in traffic- when the alternator is not capable of putting out rated current at a low RPM. Plus it filters out the AC that the diodes inside the alternator don't clean up-electronics- stereo-amps- like this idea.

Running a larger gauge wire to the starter is a good idea -using it (starter) as junction since it's connected w/ a large gauge wire directly to the battery.

Think of the alternator as your income- the battery as your bank account. Your alternator has to keep up with what you are spending -and the bank softens the blow when your mortgage hits!

Richard
Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i wired mine directly to the battery, and put an inline fuse in it.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:40 PM
2box
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard454
Here's my thoughts on what to do ... AND why....

Using the Alternator as a 'junction block' is NOT a good idea-especially hooking up large current drawing things like the fan.

The reason? When the fans start up - they pull a lot of current to get spinning. That big draw is not good for the alternator- I'm sure it will work- but will shorted it's life.

The battery is a much better place to power your accessories. Why? The battery does a couple of things rather than just turn the starter. It stabilizes the voltage- like when the fans start up- usually at idle-sitting in traffic- when the alternator is not capable of putting out rated current at a low RPM. Plus it filters out the AC that the diodes inside the alternator don't clean up-electronics- stereo-amps- like this idea.

Running a larger gauge wire to the starter is a good idea -using it (starter) as junction since it's connected w/ a large gauge wire directly to the battery.

Think of the alternator as your income- the battery as your bank account. Your alternator has to keep up with what you are spending -and the bank softens the blow when your mortgage hits!

Richard
It was my plan to get power from the starter, but then I started reading through threads and I was led believe that a 79 has a load sense wire and If so I want to make sure it is reading correctly.
How does the alternator know how much to pay the bank. I am having a little problem with that, If there is a load sensing wire in a 79 I do not want to bypass it and have the alternator only pay half the mortgage. Thanks.
Very well illustrated, I have read through one of Your Threads and that statement clarified things for me
Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,207 Likes on 2,759 Posts

A wiring diagram could help. Good idea about taking care of the load sensing wire (Being a rookie, I don't know if your car has one).

I upgraded the charging system on my '34 SBC streetrod, and I added a load-sensing wire since my new alternator had a terminal for one. I ran the wire into the interior and connected it to the extra terminal on the fusebox that receives 12V when the key is turned to the "Run" position (one click before the engine starts to crank).
Old 02-08-2014, 10:58 PM
2box
Racer

Originally Posted by doorgunner
A wiring diagram could help. Good idea about taking care of the load sensing wire (Being a rookie, I don't know if your car has one).

I upgraded the charging system on my '34 SBC streetrod, and I added a load-sensing wire since my new alternator had a terminal for one. I ran the wire into the interior and connected it to the extra terminal on the fusebox that receives 12V when the key is turned to the "Run" position (one click before the engine starts to crank).
I have a diagram. but while reading info on the internet I got from some threads that the brown wire in the alt is sensing wire and from others that is an exciter wire. So I am trying to figure this out. I do not see the point in running a new thicker wire from alt to the starter and then run another wire from the starter to a junction bar so I am trying to make sense of that too.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:14 PM
2box
Racer

Originally Posted by 2box
I have a diagram. but while reading info on the internet I got from some threads that the brown wire in the alt is sensing wire and from others that is an exciter wire. So I am trying to figure this out. I do not see the point in running a new thicker wire from alt to the starter and then run another wire from the starter to a junction bar so I am trying to make sense of that too.
bump

Get notified of new replies

To Updating alternator and wires

Quick Reply: Updating alternator and wires