Sponsored by:

Interior Insulation and Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 PM
ncvettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Interior Insulation and Sound Deadening

I'm ready to add some insulation to the interior and wanted your thoughts about the self-adhesive type products out there. Just looking at various installations, it looks like this is a on-time shot, and the next guy that wants to restore or repair something is going to have a hell of a time getting the stuff off. Dynamat, GTmat, Fatmat, etc. Spray glued jute will at least come off with some elbow grease.

So what do you think? Just go for it since it's likely I'll never have to deal with it again, or to have pity for the next poor bastage that restores this car again some 40 years from now (assuming a solar flare doesn't bring the grid down, but that's another story)?

I'm thinking go for the better technology. I already ripped out that disaster of a firewall insulation kit and threw it in the trash in complete frustration, so now I'll need recommendations. I'm not paying Dynamat's prices, so might as well stow that info. Also, some of these products are offered in various thicknesses, such as 50mil and 80mil. Any advantage to thicker? How about the stuff from Lowe's (Reflectix)? Oh, and if it has 'any' lingering odor, I'm not interested.

Tnx!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:35 AM
cue487023
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ncvettes
I'm ready to add some insulation to the interior and wanted your thoughts about the self-adhesive type products out there. Just looking at various installations, it looks like this is a on-time shot, and the next guy that wants to restore or repair something is going to have a hell of a time getting the stuff off. Dynamat, GTmat, Fatmat, etc. Spray glued jute will at least come off with some elbow grease.

So what do you think? Just go for it since it's likely I'll never have to deal with it again, or to have pity for the next poor bastage that restores this car again some 40 years from now (assuming a solar flare doesn't bring the grid down, but that's another story)?

I'm thinking go for the better technology. I already ripped out that disaster of a firewall insulation kit and threw it in the trash in complete frustration, so now I'll need recommendations. I'm not paying Dynamat's prices, so might as well stow that info. Also, some of these products are offered in various thicknesses, such as 50mil and 80mil. Any advantage to thicker? How about the stuff from Lowe's (Reflectix)? Oh, and if it has 'any' lingering odor, I'm not interested.

Tnx!
Hi,
I posted a thread on this topic a while ago and didn't get much response. I like the spray on Lizard Skin treatment. They have a 2 step process with one application for heat insulation and the other as a sound deadener. Only problem is that I am in Australia and the Australian distributor wants $600 for the kit to do it. I would be interested what the kit retails for in the US though. The spray on products appeal to me over the stick on (Dynamat type) of products as they would seal off the steel from moisture, whereas the stick on products may allow moisture in between the product and the metal promoting corrosion.
Cheers, Colin
Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

go for it since it's likely I'll never have to deal with it again, or to have pity for the next poor bastage that restores this car again some 40 years from now How old will you be 40 years from now, and by then.... will you care?

I'll need recommendations. I'm not paying Dynamat's prices, I used FatMat.... same type of stuff as Dynamat at a fraction of the cost

How about the stuff from Lowe's (Reflectix)?
I put Reflectix on top of the FatMat. From what I`ve read on these boards, one is more for heat, the other for sound. Carpet went in over it just fine.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:34 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Better technology - but don't want to pay the prices?

Can't have both.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

You can get the dynamat pretty cheap off ebay or amazon, it's only expensive at retail stores. I think mine was $120 for enough to do the whole car...that's not much in the grand scheme of things.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

I used Cool It from NAPA. It was an easy install and works well. I scrubbed first with hot soapy water then wiped the fiberglass down with lacquer thinner, it stuck really well.

http://www.thermotec.com/

Last edited by Mick71; 01-27-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 PM
ncvettes
Racer

Originally Posted by taylor34
You can get the dynamat pretty cheap off ebay or amazon, it's only expensive at retail stores. I think mine was $120 for enough to do the whole car...that's not much in the grand scheme of things.
Well that wouldn't be bad at all. I was under the impression is was going to be upwards of $600. I'll check that out, as well as the Cool It.

oldgto... I haven't seen Reflectix live. Are those air bubbles, like in packing material? That looks like a decent combo you're running.

Colin... I just heard of a "new" product called Henry's Radiant Barrier. It's supposed to be a coating system as well. I'll have to look it up. No sure I want to spray anything at thing stage, tho.

edit... never mind on that Henry's stuff. Guess the HD people didn't understand my question.

Last edited by ncvettes; 01-27-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

oldgto... I haven't seen Reflectix live. Are those air bubbles, like in packing material?
Yes, it looks like a thin layer of plastic bubble wrap in between a couple sheets of aluminum foil!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:26 PM
ncvettes
Racer

Originally Posted by oldgto
Yes, it looks like a thin layer of plastic bubble wrap in between a couple sheets of aluminum foil!
OMG, can you pop the bubbles?

So let's say I've (you've) figured out that I need some hi-tech stickum stuff everywhere. After that, what are you all doing for carpet padding?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:34 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

OMG, can you pop the bubbles? I worried about that when I first bought it, but it didn`t seem to happen, even with me crawling all over it, and putting my knees down on it during the installation.

So let's say I've (you've) figured out that I need some hi-tech stickum stuff everywhere. After that, what are you all doing for carpet padding?
For carpet padding, I just put the carpet in with the jute that was glued to the back of it. I did have to trim the padding out a little where the shoulder belt mounting bolts go in, and where the T-top strap loops go in the back, AND by the dimmer switch also.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Also, be aware of the area around the accelerator pedal. It's easy to have material build-up in the compound angle there, and may cause issues with the pedal sticking or not getting full throttle. Not much room down there to begin with.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taylor34

I bought my Dynamat from Amazon but it was for my C6. I plan to do the same for my '81. I also did my S10 with it but haven't driven it yet with it in there.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Tnx!
This is what I used, it was a kit but you can also purchase the same stuff at Home depot. I used spray glue to install it...

Was considering putting Dynamat over top of this.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 AM
vetteman1981
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw this today.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-109-99-a.html
Old 01-28-2014, 12:50 AM
ncvettes
Racer

I settled on a couple RAAMaudio products for what I need now, and that's the firewall and under dash areas so I can start installing components. I'm holding off on the other interior areas until I'm near completion so I don't screw up the backing. It sure will be nice to have stuff hanging in there again.

I got the BXT II RAAMmat, and Ensolite. I'll layer the Ensolite right over the mat. That should take care of both heat and noise. So if y'all aren't doing anything, c'mon over and teach me (by example) of how to do this!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
This is what I used, it was a kit but you can also purchase the same stuff at Home depot. I used spray glue to install it...

Was considering putting Dynamat over top of this.

It wouldn't work to put Dynamat on top of that. The idea with the Dynamat product is the butyl rubber clings strongly to the panels under it and dampens them from vibrating so much and transmitting sound. You could just pull up what you laid down, it is a light weight heat barrier that helps for heat. Then glue it back down over the Dynamat like product.

Fatmat is same as Dynamat but less expensive, they offer a thicker version as well as offer it with no logo on it. Ebay

I think Frost King from Lowes is nice over the Fatmat with its easy to use self adhesive backing to stick it on.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 PM
ncvettes
Racer

Here's my bit of a start. Having never used this stuff before, it was a lesson on how heavy the material is, and how much beer I'm going to have to consume to get through this project! And then I've got to go back over the mat with the adhesive backed Ensolite foam. Fun fun fun.
Attached Images     

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Insulation and Sound Deadening

Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I put down Hushmat and Reflectix. Much cooler and quieter now.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by jcloving
I put down Hushmat and Reflectix. Much cooler and quieter now.
I have a question about the Reflectix - How many rolls did you use/size and - a big and - is there ANY (whatsoever) noise generated from the stuff once it is installed? I noticed that the stuff is sort of noisy from the thin foil/plastic bubble interaction when you handle it in the store. The illustrations on the package show it being stapled to an external house wall during renovation. I imagine it is effective at insulating (assuming the little bubbles hold up in that environment over the years) but moreso wonder about any noise it emits in the slightest even with the jute backing and carpet over it in yours, or anyone's experience? It always comes up as an option, but just ask'n
Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I used a product called Stinger Roadkill. Pretty much the exact same thing as Dynamat, but a lot less in price. Took about a box and a half and that did the floorboards from front to up around the tail lights in back and both doors. My ONLY complaint is I know I've added close to 40 pounds to my car, but I'd bet it's much cooler inside and much quieter as well.
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Interior Insulation and Sound Deadening