Sponsored by:

Please help - Won't start at all now

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:01 PM
68L79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Sorry, wrong. The dots facing each other is #6 TDC on the compression stroke.
First image is from a Chevrolet dealer corvette mechanic publication that was given to me...he is my super chevy mechanic....it is an official chevy shop manual...the second image is from David Vizard " How to rebuild you Small Block Chevy"

Perhaps someone like Mr Ward installed the timing chain and that is your problem.....if I were you, I would check it out like I said...Of the 3 of my cars that I have completely rebuilt the engines in...I did as I posted earlier...check with any one who really knows how to build a chevy engine...they will confirm my method.
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM
MMJ
Instructor

How about now?

yes, thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM
MMJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68L79
First image is from a Chevrolet dealer corvette mechanic publication that was given to me...he is my super chevy mechanic....it is an official chevy shop manual...the second image is from David Vizard " How to rebuild you Small Block Chevy"

Perhaps someone like Mr Ward installed the timing chain and that is your problem.....if I were you, I would check it out like I said...Of the 3 of my cars that I have completely rebuilt the engines in...I did as I posted earlier...check with any one who really knows how to build a chevy engine...they will confirm my method.
OK, guys, who's right here? I want to make sure that I get this correct. It was obviously running the way it is set up now unless the chain somehow slipped. But the chain and sprocket look too good for that to have happened, don't you think?

Last edited by MMJ; 01-21-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:21 PM
68L79
Instructor

Here is the official chevy chassis manual for 68 chevy cars...confirming again...how to set the timing chain...
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM
68L79
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMJ
OK, guys, who's right here? I want to make sure that I get this correct. It was obviously running the way it is set up now unless the chain somehow slipped. But the chain and sprocket look too good for that to have happened, don't you think?
If you don't believe me......just type in "installing chevy timing chain and go to a good forum like

http://www.hotrodders.com/

...you should own a few good chevy/corvette repair books....this is my last post to help you...I tried to tell you what was up with your car earlier....but to no avail.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:42 PM
MMJ
Instructor

Here is the official chevy chassis manual for 68 chevy cars...confirming again...how to set the timing chain...
I know the Haynes manual isn't much, but I think it agrees with the Chevy manual
Old 01-21-2014, 02:49 PM
MMJ
Instructor

If you don't believe me......just type in "installing chevy timing chain and go to a good forum like

http://www.hotrodders.com/

...you should own a few good chevy/corvette repair books....this is my last post to help you...I tried to tell you what was up with your car earlier....but to no avail.
I really do appreciate all your help. I'm just new working on Chevy engines and I'm getting conflicting opinions from guys that worked on them a bunch! I'm sorry if I offended you.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MMJ
Obviously your chain didn't slip 180*.

My esteemed colleague here has misunderstood what is written in his books. For ease of assembly, it's perfectly acceptable to 'line up the dots' when installing the sprockets and chain. It is true that the #1 piston will be at TDC when the crank dot is at the top but the cam will be at top of the exhaust stroke, not compression.

To have the #1 piston at TDC with the cam at on the compression stroke, (which is required for setting the ignition rotor vs. dist. cap tower relationship) the dot must be at the top.

Misunderstanding on this topic must come up 2-3 times a month here. Just do a search on 'distributor 180* out' or similar.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 PM
MMJ
Instructor

Obviously your chain didn't slip 180*.

My esteemed colleague here has misunderstood what is written in his books. For ease of assembly, it's perfectly acceptable to 'line up the dots' when installing the sprockets and chain. It is true that the #1 piston will be at TDC when the crank dot is at the top but the cam will be at top of the exhaust stroke, not compression.

To have the #1 piston at TDC with the cam at on the compression stroke, (which is required for setting the ignition rotor vs. dist. cap tower relationship) the dot must be at the top.

Misunderstanding on this topic must come up 2-3 times a month here. Just do a search on 'distributor 180* out' or similar.
Thank you, that's what I'm going with. BTW, was water pump originally orange like timing cover? Might as well clean up and paint while I have them off.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes it was.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:21 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for keeping us updated MMJ.
Yes, someone has replaced the timing components, with a Cloyees or similar brand double roller set, at least that gives you a chance to clean/paint the parts (Chevrolet orange engine paint).
Switching it back to standard ignition, at this point seems like a good idea.
Good luck, keep us updated.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 PM
MMJ
Instructor

Well, tonight I got the timing chain cover and HB sandblasted and ready for paint. I've used this stuff called Evapo-rust before on parts that I didn't want to blast because of getting sand lodged in everywhere. I'm thinking about dropping the water pump in there and letting it soak overnight. It's not supposed to harm gaskets or any kind of metal, just kind of concerned about that outer bearing being submerged.

I appreciate all the time you guys spent explaining about the timing chain. I think I finally understand. The dots on the two sprockets can be either together or at the top of each sprocket. That has nothing to do with the distributor timing. All that does is make sure that your crank and your cam are in time. They are in time either way one way is exhaust one way is compression stroke. If the dot is at the top of the top sprocket, it means your #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. This is where it has to be if you are going to time your distributor to it. So I could of made sure the dots lined up together and my cam & crank would be in time, but if I wanted to bring the distributor timing into the mix I have to make sure the dot is on top of the top sprocket which is #1 TDC compression stroke. See, I can be taught!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:35 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by MMJ
Well, tonight I got the timing chain cover and HB sandblasted and ready for paint. I've used this stuff called Evapo-rust before on parts that I didn't want to blast because of getting sand lodged in everywhere. I'm thinking about dropping the water pump in there and letting it soak overnight. It's not supposed to harm gaskets or any kind of metal, just kind of concerned about that outer bearing being submerged.

I appreciate all the time you guys spent explaining about the timing chain. I think I finally understand. The dots on the two sprockets can be either together or at the top of each sprocket. That has nothing to do with the distributor timing. All that does is make sure that your crank and your cam are in time. They are in time either way one way is exhaust one way is compression stroke. If the dot is at the top of the top sprocket, it means your #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. This is where it has to be if you are going to time your distributor to it. So I could of made sure the dots lined up together and my cam & crank would be in time, but if I wanted to bring the distributor timing into the mix I have to make sure the dot is on top of the top sprocket which is #1 TDC compression stroke. See, I can be taught!

Your ok with it as you posted in the photos. Lining up the dots is assembly , dist set up for number on compression stroke is Cam 12 clock ,, crank 6 clock . .

Steady Eddie your way through it I never thought you needed to pull that timing cover but at least you can clean stuff up and make her look good now.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

When you get the wires on....wherever #1 is.....make sure you rotate #1 just past the rotor...to simulate some advance.....tighten the bolt...this will get you close.....

Jebby
Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 AM
MMJ
Instructor

Update, I had to order a new timing chain cover, and am waiting for that to get here. Once I have it painted, I'll be ready to reassemble and then get back to the original problem. Here's the parts that I have finished and ready to go back on.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

Well, your painting skills look good.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:46 PM
MMJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
Well, your painting skills look good.
Yeah, it'll be the best looking non-functional engine around!

Get notified of new replies

To Please help - Won't start at all now

Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Scott's 73
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MMJ
Yeah, it'll be the best looking non-functional engine around!
Did You ever get your engine put together and running?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Just as a reinforcing statement....

Dot to dot is #6 TDC.....easier to line up and see....from there....rotate the crank a whole turn a then you are on #1 TDC....

Keep us posted....

Jebby
Old 02-26-2014, 12:08 AM
MMJ
Instructor

Thanks for checking guys, but no, I've been working on another car that I have in my shop (shop has heat). The Vette is in my garage, and as soon as it warms up some, I 'm going to get back on it. I'll post an update when that happens. Thanks!
-Mark

Quick Reply: Please help - Won't start at all now